How does tendering work? (South Queensferry in June)

smm0218

This is only our 2nd cruise and we did not have to tender in Alaska. We will be on the Royal.

We have 2 ports, Guernsey & Edinburgh (South Queensferry), where tendering is required.

I understand Guesnsey is missed frequently and sometimes So Que.

Assuming they are not skipped how does it work? We are not Elite or anything so will be standing in line (I assume) to get tender tickets? How early can we get in line? Do we both (or anyone we are going with) have to be in line or can one person get all tendering tickets? If we are going with someone that does have some type of Priority status can they get tender tickets for us?

Since we will be having someone pick us up what is a good time to tell them to be there to get us?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how all this works.

TIA, Sandi

It will be fully explained in the Patter. There will be a time announced to go to a location (dining room usually) to get a tender ticket, all persons in your party must go together, they will call your number, you get on a tender. No worry, everything is explained onboard. time for pick up varies according when you get off the ship. That depends on factors no one can foresee.

This is only our 2nd cruise and we did not have to tender in Alaska. We will be on the Royal.

We have 2 ports, Guernsey & Edinburgh (South Queensferry), where tendering is required.

I understand Guesnsey is missed frequently and sometimes So Que.

Assuming they are not skipped how does it work? We are not Elite or anything so will be standing in line (I assume) to get tender tickets? How early can we get in line? Do we both (or anyone we are going with) have to be in line or can one person get all tendering tickets? If we are going with someone that does have some type of Priority status can they get tender tickets for us?

Since we will be having someone pick us up what is a good time to tell them to be there to get us?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how all this works.

TIA, Sandi

On the Royal everyone, except those on Princess tours, going on a tender must report to the Symphony DR, deck 5 mid ship. The DR opens about 1/2 hour before tenders are ready. Lines will form outside of the DR. It is one person, one tender ticket. If two or more are going ashore together then all must be there to get their ticket. Once you have your ticket you find a place to wait in the DR until your number is called. My first hand experience is that those that have priority tendering, Elites and Full Suites, did not receive tender tickets. As they enter the DR they are placed in a special line and board the next tender(s) out. So no, those with priority can not pick up a ticket for you. At some time during the morning tender tickets will no longer be required. I can't answer your question about pick up timing. I expect it depends on the port and how many tenders can dock there at the same time.

On the Royal everyone, except those on Princess tours, going on a tender must report to the Symphony DR, deck 5 mid ship. The DR opens about 1/2 hour before tenders are ready. Lines will form outside of the DR. It is one person, one tender ticket. If two or more are going ashore together then all must be there to get their ticket. Once you have your ticket you find a place to wait in the DR until your number is called. My first hand experience is that those that have priority tendering, Elites and Full Suites, did not receive tender tickets. As they enter the DR they are placed in a special line and board the next tender(s) out. So no, those with priority can not pick up a ticket for you. At some time during the morning tender tickets will no longer be required. I can't answer your question about pick up timing. I expect it depends on the port and how many tenders can dock there at the same time.

Thank you. That's what I needed to know. I'm making arrangements to call for our pickup as soon as I have our tender tickets with hopefully an idea of how long it will be until we disembark. Which I do realize will depend on several factors.

I assume that you are going ashore independently. Passengers on Princess tours are handled differently.

The Patter will give the time and place, but they usually start giving out tickets around the posted arrival time. Line begins about 30 minutes earlier.

I assume that you are going ashore independently. Passengers on Princess tours are handled differently.

The Patter will give the time and place, but they usually start giving out tickets around the posted arrival time. Line begins about 30 minutes earlier.

Thanks, Yes we are going to try to get to St. Andrews via private means. DHs bucket list item and I'm really hoping we can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody tell me how and when (before/after elite/suite) passengers on Princess tours access to the tenders? I'm not "elite" nor in a suite and I have to know in advance if booking a Princess tour would be better to maximise time on shore. I remember a very long waiting time on QM2 in South-Queensferry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can somebody tell me how and when (before/after elite/suite) passengers on Princess tours access to the tenders? I'm not "elite" nor in a suite and I have to know in advance if booking a Princess tour would be better to maximise time on shore. I remember a very long waiting time on QM2 in South-Queensferry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tours meet in Princess Theater at the time on your Tour ticket - which will largely depend on when the tour starts. Elites/Suites and regular tender meet in the dining room as noted above. The crew will fill tenders with tours and priority first then regulars. So pick a tour with an early start time and go for it.

We went on the Caribbean Princess last summer. In Guernsey, we did not have hardly any wait for the tender. We're Elite, but everyone in the dining room at 7:15 got to go on the same tender. They were similarly efficient in South Queensferry. I did not write down at the time how much of a wait we had for the tender.

We went on the Caribbean Princess last summer. In Guernsey, we did not have hardly any wait for the tender. We're Elite, but everyone in the dining room at 7:15 got to go on the same tender. They were similarly efficient in South Queensferry. I did not write down at the time how much of a wait we had for the tender.

Tendering into St Peter Port at 7:15am must have been a real thrill. As I recall, about the only thing open at that hour (or even at 8:30) were a few cafes and coffee shops :). The last time we tendered into that port we were met by friends (who we had met years earlier on another cruise). As is typical of the island they suggested meeting for a cup of coffee around 10 :).

Hnak

Tours meet in Princess Theater at the time on your Tour ticket - which will largely depend on when the tour starts. Elites/Suites and regular tender meet in the dining room as noted above. The crew will fill tenders with tours and priority first then regulars. So pick a tour with an early start time and go for it.

They usually board the tenders from two different areas. Princess tours will usually depart from one area and those not on Princess tours will be led to the other area.

Once demand goes down, boarding tenders may drop to just one area.

They usually board the tenders from two different areas. Princess tours will usually depart from one area and those not on Princess tours will be led to the other area.

Once demand goes down, boarding tenders may drop to just one area.

Exactly - you said it better than me. The ship has 4 tender bays, and usually 2 are in use. We've seen every variation on this theme. Thanks for the clarification!