I am devastated

JoJo1973

Well, I just learned something new the hard way. If one person gets insurance and the other one doesn't. And the one that has insurance can't go due to a family emergency (daughter just diagnosed with cancer and 86 year old sister's health declining rapidly) and the other one decides to go, the one that goes has to pay a 100% single supplement = $3000.

A typical insurance catch-22.

For illness of a qualified family member to be considered a covered reason you have to cancel the booking sufficiently in advance (however many days the insurance specifies).

But if you do so, irrespective of whether the other party has insurance or not, should they decide to cruise they will be refared as a single. Possibly at the current single supplement rather than what was effect at time of original booking.

Now, IF they had insurance, the increase in cruise fare associated with a cabinmate cancelling for a covered reason would be reimbursed. Which is why both parties--especially if just "cabinmates of convenience" and not immediate family--need to have identical coverage.

Well, I just learned something new the hard way. If one person gets insurance and the other one doesn't. And the one that has insurance can't go due to a family emergency (daughter just diagnosed with cancer and 86 year old sister's health declining rapidly) and the other one decides to go, the one that goes has to pay a 100% single supplement = $3000.

If the person who went on the cruise had bought Princess Insurance, would she be able to still take the cruise for her original price, instead of the extra single supplement?

I see fishywood explained it while I was typing the question. Thanks!

Fishywood nailed it. If one person cancels, regardless of when the cancelation occurs, the remaining passenger in the cabin will incur the single supplement. And IF they had the same insurance as the cabinmate, the insurance would cover this additional charge.

Yep, learned the hard way. Travel partner is actually my mom. When we booked this we recognized she has some older siblings and maybe she wouldn't go if something happened, but I would still go. I am a stupid, stupid person.

Maybe she will still go - find out more about the diagnosis next week.. This is my hope. Otherwise I'm out $3,300 when I could have paid $200 for insurance on $3000 of that cost. The airfare + one tour is non-refundable.

If she doesn't go, I will be talking to my credit card company. They have some cancellation insurance but I'm not sure how good it is.

Yep, learned the hard way. Travel partner is actually my mom. When we booked this we recognized she has some older siblings and maybe she wouldn't go if something happened, but I would still go. I am a stupid, stupid person.

Maybe she will still go - find out more about the diagnosis next week.. This is my hope. Otherwise I'm out $3,300 when I could have paid $200 for insurance on $3000 of that cost. The airfare + one tour is non-refundable.

If she doesn't go, I will be talking to my credit card company. They have some cancellation insurance but I'm not sure how good it is.

Do not take her off the booking with Princess until you know for sure that she will not be going. If you do so, you risk getting into a further mess as they will book her at the current passenger rate (not whatever she initially paid), and I'm not even sure what they will do about your booking. The downside is that the longer you wait to cancel her, the higher the penalties go. Look at what the insurance requires as far as timing from the time of diagnosis of family members until she cancels.

Some policies would let you cancel if your traveling companion is not going. Do you want to maybe move you both to another date?

You seemed to have missed the substantive issue here: only one of the two passengers has any insurance.

If they cancel and rebook, or just cancel period, they are out one person's cancellation penalty.

If only one person cancels, they are out the single supplement.

Absolutely contact your credit card company. I book all of my cruises using Chase United airline card just for that reason. They provide up to $10,000 per person, as long as the charges are paid using their card.

If the card you have has cancellation coverage you should end up in good shape.

Cruise is in 13 days. Finding a replacement would be nearly impossible for a 28 day cruise. And obviously way past the date to get a refund.

We get the biopsy results sometime next week. Still in shock that my 41 year old sister likely has cancer.

If the prognosis is good, my mom still wants to go. At this point this is the best result. There is no way we are touching the reservation until we know what we're doing. The price for our room looks like its gone from 3000 to over 3600.

If she doesn't go, I call Chase Sapphire Reserve and try to get some of my non-refundables back. I've book the cruise (3000) airfare (200) and one shore ex (100) that is well under the 10,000 cancellation insurance I supposedly have with CSR.

Cruise is in 13 days. Finding a replacement would be nearly impossible for a 28 day cruise. And obviously way past the date to get a refund.

We get the biopsy results sometime next week. Still in shock that my 41 year old sister likely has cancer.

If the prognosis is good, my mom still wants to go. At this point this is the best result. There is no way we are touching the reservation until we know what we're doing. The price for our room looks like its gone from 3000 to over 3600.

If she doesn't go, I call Chase Sapphire Reserve and try to get some of my non-refundables back. I've book the cruise (3000) airfare (200) and one shore ex (100) that is well under the 10,000 cancellation insurance I supposedly have with CSR.

You should be fine. You will need to collect a fair amount of documentation. You may want to do that immediately and find out what information you need to submit. I have found that if you don't print out your information prior to cancellation some of it may not be available online after canceling. Such as cruise payment information. You will also need applicable credit card statements, cruise line refund policy, etc. You will probably be working with eclaimsline.com they seem to be handling Chase travel claims.

You should be fine. You will need to collect a fair amount of documentation. You may want to do that immediately and find out what information you need to submit. I have found that if you don't print out your information prior to cancellation some of it may not be available online after canceling. Such as cruise payment information. You will also need applicable credit card statements, cruise line refund policy, etc. You will probably be working with eclaimsline.com they seem to be handling Chase travel claims.

Thanks for this - very helpful. I will wait until next week when the results come back and if we cancel then call chase and start getting the documentation ready.

Some policies would let you cancel if your traveling companion is not going. Do you want to maybe move you both to another date? Very sorry your family is having this happen.

Yes, I made the mistake of thinking if she cancelled, that would pay her half and I'd be good to go solo since my half was already paid.

This really seems backwards - say something happens so a couple, both with insurance have to cancel 1 week (or day) before the cruise. This cabin will likely sit empty, the ship won't even get any onboard spending.

So here's where they have an opportunity for one person to still travel, who has paid their fair 1/2 share of the room cost, the insurance has covered the other person, and at least they get 1/2 of the onboard spending.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Hopefully your sister will get better news than she is expecting. Your mom must be so torn trying to decide what to do right now when she she be so excited to spend 28 days with you, her other daughter.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Sure hope all turns out well for you and you get to go on your cruise.

Beyond me why anyone would not get insurance.

Hopefully the insurance with my credit card is good enough. When I skipped the insurance, I thought I was good to go on the cruise if my mom cancelled but that was wrong. And I was aware of the trip insurance included with my CC, that's why I used that card to book (that and the 4.5% value back when booking travel expenses). I just haven't tested if it's as good as any Princess would have offered. As you can see my total costs are way below the $10K limit there.

Hopefully the insurance with my credit card is good enough. When I skipped the insurance, I thought I was good to go on the cruise if my mom cancelled but that was wrong. And I was aware of the trip insurance included with my CC, that's why I used that card to book (that and the 4.5% value back when booking travel expenses). I just haven't tested if it's as good as any Princess would have offered. As you can see my total costs are way below the $10K limit there.

Please look up the info about the credit card insurance NOW. One of the things I discovered was that I had to initiate a claim within 7 days of the occurrence. This could be construed as the date the biopsy results become available...I would guess. In any event, I had private insurance so it became a non-issue, but I looked into the coverage thru the credit card just in case the private found a reason to not come thru. They had a lot more rules than the coverage I buy thru my TA.

I, too, am sorry. that your family (especially your sister) is going through this. But I will tell you what I was told last year when it was me going through a similar thing. Even once diagnosed, my doctors told me not to cancel my travel, because for all we knew, there was far more that we didn't know. Turns out they were absolutely correct, and after that initial hit, the news got better and better. You aren't saying (and I'm not asking) what the potential cancer is, but even if the biopsy turns out positive, don't let your mind immediately go to that worst possible outcome.

Yes, I made the mistake of thinking if she cancelled, that would pay her half and I'd be good to go solo since my half was already paid.

This really seems backwards - say something happens so a couple, both with insurance have to cancel 1 week (or day) before the cruise. This cabin will likely sit empty, the ship won't even get any onboard spending.

So here's where they have an opportunity for one person to still travel, who has paid their fair 1/2 share of the room cost, the insurance has covered the other person, and at least they get 1/2 of the onboard spending.

—Would you go solo?

If yes, and you have to pay Princess, why not just have your Mom no show and you reimburse her? Assuming the numbers are even.

Someone will answer—- What is Princess’s no show policy? Does the sailing pax have to pay for the second berth at that time?

Hope all goes well with your sister.

That's awful ... but I understand why it has to be done that way. If they allowed someone to book a cabin for 2 and insurance for only one, then any passenger could get their very own cabin for the price of one fare plus the insurance for one. Small price to pay for your own cabin. If you both cancel, they can either resell the cabin or sell the upgrade to someone else.

But, without thinking that through ahead of time, it would be a bit of a shock! Hoping all works out with both the cruise and the diagnosis / prognosis.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Hopefully your sister will get better news than she is expecting. Your mom must be so torn trying to decide what to do right now when she she be so excited to spend 28 days with you, her other daughter.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Sure hope all turns out well for you and you get to go on your cruise.

Thanks so much! really appreciate the kind thoughts.

I, too, am sorry. that your family (especially your sister) is going through this. But I will tell you what I was told last year when it was me going through a similar thing. Even once diagnosed, my doctors told me not to cancel my travel, because for all we knew, there was far more that we didn't know. Turns out they were absolutely correct, and after that initial hit, the news got better and better. You aren't saying (and I'm not asking) what the potential cancer is, but even if the biopsy turns out positive, don't let your mind immediately go to that worst possible outcome.

I'll share - it's kidney cancer which appears to be treatable. Her surgery was this morning and they had to remove the kidney... the tumor did it's damage and it's not repairable. The tumor is out too. They did a scan yesterday and didn't see any spots so if it is cancer, it is likely stage 2 (due to the large size).