Viking Sales?

A&Jfamily

Can anyone advise whether Viking runs particular sales at particular times? We are looking at a cruise around Christmas 2019, but can't yet commit due to school schedules. At the end of February the "early booking" $150 pp discount disappeared.

Any repeat cruisers see a pattern in their sales? When would be the best time to book?

Regarding Viking sales...

In our experience, they don’t change the cruise price that much (the 2 for 1 is always offered), but the price on Viking Air is where you can potentially save some money. For example, they had a sale last November on the Lyon & Provence cruise that we grabbed that was free airfare (maybe a large booking canceled?) for March-April dates. I checked with Delta and the flights would cost us about $3,300.00 if we booked on our own.

In the past, we’ve booked with $495 air, and last year we booked the Rhine Getaway for $100 RT.

Jeff

WOW! Was that $3300 per person? I’m willing to price shop and I don’t think I’ve ever paid over $1000 pp R/T from Washington DC to Europe. Last June GCT/OAT had a great last minute (3 weeks out) deal on a small ship (48 passengers) from Nice to Livorno. We found tickets on SAS to Nice and return on Turkish from Venice (private extension) for $900 pp total for both flights. I spent less than 10 minutes to come up with those; it pays to shop around.

I do agree that most of Viking price variance is through low cost Air.

WOW! Was that $3300 per person? I’m willing to price shop and I don’t think I’ve ever paid over $1000 pp R/T from Washington DC to Europe. Last June GCT/OAT had a great last minute (3 weeks out) deal on a small ship (48 passengers) from Nice to Livorno. We found tickets on SAS to Nice and return on Turkish from Venice (private extension) for $900 pp total for both flights. I spent less than 10 minutes to come up with those; it pays to shop around.

I do agree that most of Viking price variance is through low cost Air.

No, that was $3300 for both of us :)

Jeff

Thanks everyone for the insight....just make me nervous because we really need to wait a year from now to clear our dates with any possible exam schedule, so I will watch for the airfare deals as we get closer.

Based on the number of mailing and emails I receive from Viking, it looks like they run sales all day every day.
Agreed, but apparently it works. We were wait listed on Viking over a year out for a specific date to coincide with something else. We never did clear, but went to Europe anyway doing something else and still had a great time.

When Viking first went into the ocean cruise business, cabins sold out very quickly, even before they even launched their first ship. Snooze and you lose. They did not need price drops or free air fare to fill their cabins and if you wanted to sail with Viking you booked (and paid) as soon as you saw something you liked for fear that if you waited, the ship would sell out while you were waiting for a good deal. They are now completing their third year on the high seas. They have four ships in operation with two more launching this year and while cabins are still filling, they are finding that gimmicks fill ships more quickly and that is what they are offering. I think it is too soon to see a real pattern in the sales and bonuses.

Thanks everyone for the insight....just make me nervous because we really need to wait a year from now to clear our dates with any possible exam schedule...

I would research a few alternatives, if what you are saying is that you are trying to book a Christmas cruise only 9 month out then you will need choices as that is very late to be booking a specific Christmas cruise.

If you can be flexible and you are not targeting one specific cabin grade then you may still find something, but don't count on finding the availability you want on just one cruise or cruise line.

Do a dummy run on a 2018 Christmas cruise and see what you can find...