MSC vs Celebrity

hoenichj

This may seem to be a ridiculous question: We have been on 5 Celebrity cruises, which we have really enjoyed. I have ssen some unbelievable bargains on the MSC Opera. Any thoughts on this boat or on a comparison with Celebrity. Reviews for MSC are spotty and mixed I know Rick Sasso is now VP of North America for MSC.

What do you have to pay for on board, what are the prices like, is the currency Euros?

Thanks

We have been on 3 Celebrity cruises and one MSC cruise . We were on the Lirica in Feb.. I really think it is hard to compare them. I am not sure just what changes Rick Sasso has made. I have heard he has made some changes to the food and service but that I can not say for sure. I can say we had a wonderful cruise but we were looking for something different and that is what we got. I would not hesitate to go on the Opera if I had the opportunity.

Please tell us more about MSC differs from Celebrity or Princess or HAL. We're seriously interested in MSC but a bit nervous that it might be too different. We like a quiet, relaxing cruise and love days at sea with nothing to do but read and relax. Will MSC be too noisy for us? Are there lots of annoucements over the loudspeakers? What about the food? We love the Italian food on Princess - what about MSC?

We would really appreciate any details you can share with us.

Whiterose hello

Lirica (and I presume Opera too) are reputed to be "quiet" boats and there were NO public announcements over loudspeakers - this was much to the annoyance of some.

On Lirica the public address system was used only to impart knowledge during the panama canal lock experience and prior to sailings when passengers were late returning from shore excursions.

Of course around the pool when the entertainment team run quiz sessions or dance/aerobic/exercise classes etc there are announcements in that area but these are not audible throughout the ship.

Archived