Carnival Legend 4K French Doors no longer open - Sealed shut!

Just to let everyone know, all of the 4K cabin French doors on the Legend have been sealed closed. I confirmed this with Carnival today. You can also check out the Carnival website, that's how I stumbled on the change. The cabin description that had read "Interior with French Doors" now reads "Interior with Window". I am currently booked on the Legend for the Journeys cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. I am in one of these 4K rooms specifically for the ability to open the French doors (we did Alaska in a 4K room and loved it). I am very upset for a couple of reasons. Carnival is not bothering to notify anyone that they have downgraded these rooms. Also, as far as I am concerned, Carnival owes anyone that booked one of these rooms some onboard credit of at least the amount that was paid to upgrade to French doors. They don't see it that way. They don't feel the need to notify anyone of the change. I spent over a couple of hours on the phone with them today and all that they offered (after a lot of pressing) was a $25 onboard credit or we could cancel our cruise. That does not come close to covering the amount that was paid to upgrade to a 4K. Anyone that booked a 4K on the Legend while it was being advertised as having the French doors need to call Carnival customer service and complain. At the very least, you might get a bit of credit. Hopefully if they get enough calls they will realize that they did not handle this properly. Sad these are sealed, but hey, it's their ship. However, this is not fair for those that booked before the change. I would have been really pissed if I did not find out about the sealed doors until I got in the cabin and I'm sure no one else will appreciate the surprise either.:mad:

• Like 1

That is a bummer. Did they give a reason why they sealed the French doors closed?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival customer service is clueless. One person suggested that it might be a safety issue, which is stupid unless they are planning on sealing the doors to the balconies too.

Bummer. Do you know if this is true of other Spirit Class ships?

I was given the impression that this will be happening to all of the Spirit class ships, but I don't know a timeline. Carnival customer service had no idea. I did look on the Carnival site and it still shows the Miracle and Pride as having 4K with French doors. Apparently they can change that whenever they like with no regard to those who have already booked.

Wonder if this will happen to all the 4K rooms on Spirit Class ships. Pride goes in Feb 2019 ... the 4K rooms are awesome, with the ability to open the doors that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, the 4K rooms are great. We had one 6 years ago in Alaska and really liked it. That is why we booked it on the Journeys cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. I really wanted to be able to let some fresh air in and to have at least a partial view, especially on an 11 night cruise.

That is a bummer. Did they give a reason why they sealed the French doors closed?

I just got a possible update from Carnival (through Facebook). They are saying that the doors have been completely removed and replaced with windows. This is a direct contradiction from what I was told on the phone earlier by Carnival customer service, so take it with a grain of salt.

They didn’t seal them. When the Legend was in dry dock, they replaced the doors with floor-to-ceiling windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

I think I was in one of these cabins some time ago. Without having actual knowledge of their intent, I would guess that their reason for this change would be to prevent people from leaving the doors open. I believe this adversely affects the air conditioning system for multiple cabins. It would be the same as propping a balcony door open. It is not recommended. Air conditioning doesn't work properly with an open door or window. I know a lot of people like doing this, but if it affects the comfort of others around, I can see them trying to limit the possibility.

Hi

I think I was in one of these cabins some time ago. Without having actual knowledge of their intent, I would guess that their reason for this change would be to prevent people from leaving the doors open. I believe this adversely affects the air conditioning system for multiple cabins. It would be the same as propping a balcony door open. It is not recommended. Air conditioning doesn't work properly with an open door or window. I know a lot of people like doing this, but if it affects the comfort of others around, I can see them trying to limit the possibility.

In that case shouldn't Carnival do the same to all the balcony cabin doors as well ;)

I was not aware of these French Doors in the inside cabins. I never heard of them. If they are inside cabins (no balcony) what do they open to?

Yes, pretty much a view of the life boats. However, if you booked early you could usually find one with a view between the boats, which I'm sure people will still do as the view is better. We had one about 6 years ago on an Alaskan cruise and were lucky enough to be between boats. Got a little view, but the main reason we had it was the ability to open the doors and enjoy some fresh air.

This happened at a hotel I stayed at... went back the next year and windows/french doors (no balconies) were sealed shut "for safety". Disappointing.

Having said that, why wouldn't you just book a balcony cabin to begin with? Was there something special (ie location etc) that made those particular cabins desirable?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

This happened at a hotel I stayed at... went back the next year and windows/french doors (no balconies) were sealed shut "for safety". Disappointing.

Having said that, why wouldn't you just book a balcony cabin to begin with? Was there something special (ie location etc) that made those particular cabins desirable?

They priced on an interior rate ...

• Like 1

Ahh I see. So you're still getting an "oceanview" for an interior rate? Seems fair to me. (If I wanted fresh air I would just book a balcony).

I do balconies sometimes, but couldn't afford it on an 11 night cruise this time. The 4K is charged as an interior WITH an upcharge for the upgrade to a room WITH French doors. That's how it was booked and that's what I expect. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Would you be upset if they sealed the doors to your balcony? Both allow for fresh air, right?

I do balconies sometimes, but couldn't afford it on an 11 night cruise this time. The 4K is charged as an interior WITH an upcharge for the upgrade to a room WITH French doors. That's how it was booked and that's what I expect. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Would you be upset if they sealed the doors to your balcony? Both allow for fresh air, right?
Seems like a loophole people were taking advantage of to "get fresh air" without paying for it, and they figured out a way to close that loophole. Book an interior (so you don't have to pay for a balcony) get an interior. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

Seems like a loophole people were taking advantage of to "get fresh air" without paying for it, and they figured out a way to close that loophole. Book an interior (so you don't have to pay for a balcony) get an interior. Easy peasy.

Not a loophole. These are the highest priced interiors on Spirit class ships and are/were explicitly advertised as having French doors.

Just like porthole rooms and the rooms overlooking the front of the newer ships with obstructed views (4J?), Carnival chose to classify these as interiors but advertised then with specific attributes of oceanviews while charging higher prices than true interiors.

The point is that OP is not getting what he/she bargained and paid for.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Not a loophole. These are the highest priced interiors on Spirit class ships and are/were explicitly advertised as having French doors.

Just like porthole rooms and the rooms overlooking the front of the newer ships with obstructed views (4J?), Carnival chose to classify these as interiors but advertised then with specific attributes of oceanviews while charging higher prices than true interiors.

Precisely.

What an ignorant statement! I booked what THEY advertised. That's not a loophole, that's selecting what you want. Bye, I'm done with the attitude.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Thank you. There are a lot of snobs and trolls on this site. It is nice to see that some people still have some common sense.