Quick review - On board Odyssey now (Caribbean)

RustyRollock

Odyssey was wonderful at the end of September - the lovely Jorge had just got onboard. Sadly, as has happened before, there was a big change of personnel a week or two later. From what I have read, many of the new staff were actually new, which means often that although they may have worked in the appropriate settings on land, e.g.bars, restaurants or hotels, they have never worked on board a ship before. Consequently, they are not going to be able to cope with unusual requests or demands, and even struggle with the normal work.

A few will never be suited to work on Seabourn, most will get there, in the end, but it takes time. In the meantime guests are not getting the normal caring service they should be. This happened last year, before Encore debuted, and it seems likely that this time it is because senior staff have been taken away to work on Ovation. Result: Seabourn reviews, especially from 'newbies' are not good. Will they ever learn?

This is consistent with what I previously posted after our August cruise on the Odyssey. All the best crew were leaving in late Sept and the consensus was that after their break, most were going to Encore. Even our favourite Pierre who was the piano player from the Obs Lounge. Some crew had mentioned that they had previously been on Encore to train staff for the maiden season and then moved to Odyssey for the summer. Who knows what the system is to allocate crew to ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are currently on board, but the Internet is so slow I hardly ever use it.

Drinks and caviar service on pool deck in evenings Has been terrible at time.

Everything else has been just as I would’ve hoped it to be including the beach barbecue.

Everything else has been just as I would’ve hoped it to be including the beach barbecue.

Can you elaborate please? Did the staff not bring you the drinks that you ordered or did it take a long time or were the drinks bad? Did the caviar not come in a timely manner? Did it not have the proper garnishes? Was it a 1/2 portion or a whole portion? I always love a nice glass of champagne and caviar by the pool and have never had a problem.

Can you elaborate please? Did the staff not bring you the drinks that you ordered or did it take a long time or were the drinks bad? Did the caviar not come in a timely manner? Did it not have the proper garnishes? Was it a 1/2 portion or a whole portion? I always love a nice glass of champagne and caviar by the pool and have never had a problem.

The caviar could take over an hour to arrive but was always as it should be, when it did. Drinks service can be very sketchy on deck 10 and 11.

We like to sit above the bar on deck 11 and watch the sunset while sipping champagne and eating caviar. The slow service means we have to plan well in advance.

We have often sat out at the back of deck 10, and someone from the Sky bar immediately below will come up from time to time to take drink orders, or appear with some of the ready made cocktails on a tray, but I must admit that I do not think I would expect to have drinks served up on deck 11, two up from the Sky bar or right above the indoor Observation bar. Does this normally happen? I always assumed it was just for sunbathing or a good viewpoint standing at the bow when there was something interesting to see.

We have often sat out at the back of deck 10, and someone from the Sky bar immediately below will come up from time to time to take drink orders, or appear with some of the ready made cocktails on a tray, but I must admit that I do not think I would expect to have drinks served up on deck 11, two up from the Sky bar or right above the indoor Observation bar. Does this normally happen? I always assumed it was just for sunbathing or a good viewpoint standing at the bow when there was something interesting to see.

Our cruise last November a group 3-4 of us would sit up there for pre happy hour. One of us would go to the bar and order drinks. Sometimes we would bring back, sometimes they would insist on bringing them up two flights

Have you tried internet at SB Square? On my two Odyssey and two Quest cruises, it was way faster there ( not fast, but faster) than in my bow area suites.

Our cruise last November a group 3-4 of us would sit up there for pre happy hour. One of us would go to the bar and order drinks. Sometimes we would bring back, sometimes they would insist on bringing them up two flights

They will come up from time to time to the sun deck. I've ordered drinks whilst sunbathing there. One night last year there were 8 of us after midnight trying to see a meteor shower whilst passing Stromboli (unfortunately all we saw was a lot of dark). After about 10 minutes security came up and asked us if they could get us something. They're pretty good at tracking you down.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know who the Captain, sky bar bartender and Cruise Director are currently on Odyssey? I am joining Dec 5th and am curious to know if any of my 'favorites' are onboard.

Captain = Bathgate

Sky Bartender = Paul (but there are others)

CD = Ashley (Assistant = Chris)

We ate in the MDR last night, arriving around 8:45. Wait staff had no issues with our still being there at 10:45, offering more wine or a second decaf espresso. We often done late and have never felt pressured except by our own guilt sometimes when we’re the last to leave!

We ate in the MDR last night, arriving around 8:45. Wait staff had no issues with our still being there at 10:45, offering more wine or a second decaf espresso. We often done late and have never felt pressured except by our own guilt sometimes when we’re the last to leave!

Done this exact same thing myself and was at a table of 8. We had such a lovely time didn’t realize it was 10:45 as nobody tried to move us along. They kept serving brandy, coffee, Bailey’s and more.

But - it's also worth bearing in mind that the crew have to be up in time to do breakfast - so they do have to go to bed at some point!

Fair point - but they don't ALL have to be up at 6a.m. doing breakfast. Once you are into the swing of things you will notice that after around 9p.m. various of the serving staff have disappeared - they will be the early shift off to bed so they are ready for breakfast service. Similarly, depending on what time you have breakfast some staff come on shift later in the morning and then work though to lunch.

There is no doubt they work very hard - and always smile! The crews are what keep us coming back to Seabourn over and over again.

I will post a more detailed review in a couple of weeks when we get home but in the meantime here are a few thoughts.

The Seabourn cheer squad will no doubt disagree but I'm afraid that the increasingly obvious cost cutting by the bean counters at head office is beginning to spoil the overall experience. This is not the Seabourn we started cruising with a few years ago. Nothing major, but lots of little changes or omissions - death by a thousand cuts. Food, wine and service standards have dropped noticeably to the point where we no longer dine in the MDR after too many cold meals served too long after they were ordered. We sat down for dinner at 7pm last night and we're still there 3 hours later. A simple room service order of a club sandwich took well over an hour to arrive and even then only when we called to ask where it was.

Staff seem demoralised and overworked and show little initiative or "can do" attitude. Some are downright surly. The many people we've discussed this with unanimously agree. It's either lack or training and/or supervision, or maybe it's a demographic problem - the overwhelming majority of staff are from Eastern Europe and seem unfamiliar with the concept of "service with a smile".

Seabourn has lost its lustre.

Rusty: Now that your cruise is over, I'm wondering if you can give us some additional thoughts. Did things smooth out, service-wise, or was it rough for the entire cruise? I'm boarding on Dec. 5, so I'd also be interested in any tips you might have. Thanks much.

We finished our Seabourn Odyssey cruise yesterday. Had a wondeful time, but we too thought there had been some cost cutting since our first Seabourn cruise 4 years ago. Restaurant service was fine, but had to wait ages for drinks around the pool and in the evening bars. On some occasions there were NO bar staff around at all. For value for money, and all over enjoyment, we now prefer Celebrity. Sorry Seabourn :(:(

This thread is quite eye opening......:eek: I have been researching cruises for a big Birthday......will be 60 in March.

I was seriously considering trying Seabourn but all this tumult is giving me 2nd thoughts....

Lois R, We cruised with Seabourn (Encore) in late September/early October 2017 and thought the cruise was wonderful. We went with no pre-conceived notions (having sailed with Silversea a few years ago) and thought the service was great---on the deck and in the dining venues. We've booked another cruise with Seabourn for June 2018. Don't plan your cruise based on a few negative reviews. Look at the positive reviews as well. And, ask others who do not post here on CC if they enjoyed their Seabourn cruise. I think some people expect more than is reasonable and become a bit jaded after many cruises. I have a friend who has now taken 16 cruises and she says that they just don't have the pizzazz they used to have, even though everything is essentially the same. She admits that she is jaded. Some people don't realize that they are jaded. We plan to cruise only once a year so that each cruise will be special.

Lois R, We cruised with Seabourn (Encore) in late September/early October 2017 and thought the cruise was wonderful. We went with no pre-conceived notions (having sailed with Silversea a few years ago) and thought the service was great---on the deck and in the dining venues. We've booked another cruise with Seabourn for June 2018. Don't plan your cruise based on a few negative reviews. Look at the positive reviews as well. And, ask others who do not post here on CC if they enjoyed their Seabourn cruise. I think some people expect more than is reasonable and become a bit jaded after many cruises. I have a friend who has now taken 16 cruises and she says that they just don't have the pizzazz they used to have, even though everything is essentially the same. She admits that she is jaded. Some people don't realize that they are jaded. We plan to cruise only once a year so that each cruise will be special.

We have cruised 13 times with Seabourn and enjoy it as much as on our first cruise with them. On our last cruise, which was Alaska last June, I felt that the level of food and service was as good as ever. And we had the same CD as on our first one too.

Our experience was very different to that of some of the other posters in this thread. I would add that the standard wine offering is probably better than it was a couple of years and there is sufficient variety to find something that we like. Our problem with the bar staff was that we couldn't stop them pouring drinks for us. In the Observation Lounge, my Remy Martin was on the bar before I could get there from the entrance.

Cruise Critic is a poor venue to decide whether to cruise Seabourn or not because it tends to be very absolute and often on the negative side. On any cruise there are going to be the occassional hiccups and disappointments. The trick is to put them into persepective against the whole experience. For us, that has been positive which is why we are just 12 weeks away from our next cruise with Seabourn.

We have cruised 13 times with Seabourn and enjoy it as much as on our first cruise with them. On our last cruise, which was Alaska last June, I felt that the level of food and service was as good as ever. And we had the same CD as on our first one too.

Our experience was very different to that of some of the other posters in this thread. I would add that the standard wine offering is probably better than it was a couple of years and there is sufficient variety to find something that we like. Our problem with the bar staff was that we couldn't stop them pouring drinks for us. In the Observation Lounge, my Remy Martin was on the bar before I could get there from the entrance.

Cruise Critic is a poor venue to decide whether to cruise Seabourn or not because it tends to be very absolute and often on the negative side. On any cruise there are going to be the occassional hiccups and disappointments. The trick is to put them into persepective against the whole experience. For us, that has been positive which is why we are just 12 weeks away from our next cruise with Seabourn.

Completely agree. I have sailed Seabourn over 25x and love it. I sometimes didnt even think that people that post their complaints are on the same cruiseline I am on. Many people take great joy in complaining and making a meal of of negativity and get happiness in causing other to give pause. It must give them a sense of power in their otherwise empty lives. I have my own mind, my own mindset, and would not book a cruise, or not book a cruise based on something I read on CC.

Please keep in mind this board may represent 1% of 1% of the Seabourn guests. I have been on over 100 cruises and universally if I ask people if they are on CC, their answer is: What’s that?

Some here do nothing but complain. I have never had a complaint on my Seabourn cruises since 1998. So my advice, pay no attention to either and book and decide yourself.

We finished our Seabourn Odyssey cruise yesterday. Had a wondeful time, but we too thought there had been some cost cutting since our first Seabourn cruise 4 years ago. Restaurant service was fine, but had to wait ages for drinks around the pool and in the evening bars. On some occasions there were NO bar staff around at all. For value for money, and all over enjoyment, we now prefer Celebrity. Sorry Seabourn :(:(

It’s nice to have choices. I went on Celebrity for the first time this past winter. I thought it was one of the worst cruise experiences ever. Had the air from SXM not cost me a fortune, I would have left the ship [silouette) early and flown home. I dined exclusively in the extra charge alternative restaurants and with the exception of the Lawn Club, where I made my own steak, every venue was good, at best.

Service, non existent, and blaring music and no chairs around the pool. I would trade a horrid Seabourn cruise for a Celebrity cruise any day of the week.

Thanks for the responses:)

I have been sailing Celebrity since 2003 and have seen changes with them too.......so I guess it happens on every line,

no matter if it is luxury or mainstream. But for the amount I pay for a luxury line, (In my opinion) service should be top

notch.

I did go to the reviews section and read multiple ones this morning.......they were mostly all very good/excellent.

There was ONE that had a Mother/Daughter sailing together.......sounds like they had A LOT of food issues:eek:

I do agree, there is one way to find out though......and that is to jump in and book a cruise with them.......