Polo shirts

sarahjane01

HopeandBarry, Your comment smacks of 'shapism' to me, which is akin to body-shaming, and really, considering the demographic, has no place on Seabourn. In our many nights on board we have seen people of all sorts of shapes and sizes, some elegant, some not so.

The bottom line is, if you are going for a dinner with waiters, silver service and various courses, whatever shape your in, please make a bit of an effort and don't turn up in trainers, shorts and a vest, however expensive they may be.

Edited by Flamin_June

Administrator Dan. Please transfer this lot across to the Dress Code sticky where it belongs

To be fair Sarahjane01 posted this thread as a genuine follow up to some previous questions and she has a cruise coming up soon. This isn't just someone wasting time. Not only that but she's contributed to the Christmas dinner fund by upgrading to a Penthouse suite :)

No one would have seen her question in the dress code sticky. As a permanent fixture it gets ignored.

Show some love to a first time Seabourn cruiser.

Henry :)

I have to agree that this thread can be funny and nit-picky - and I am one of the guilty parties. I think that most of us are merely trying to help, but at the same time putting forward our own opinions as to what is allowed or suitable; some of us are all for dressing down as far as is reasonable and fits with criteria, others long for the olden days when it was almost obligatory for men to wear a dj on formal nights. Never the twain shall meet, but we usually all manage to get on without any scowling at each other, as the huge majority of Seabourn passengers are pleasant, laissez-faire people.

I indeed hope you are right In fact I've met Seabourn folks on my Regent cruises and they've been very nice

For myself (not speaking for my husband, who does not own a tux, btw), I do not own a formal gown, and barely a dress that would be called a cocktail dress. So I'll be avoiding formal night next year, and dining in the casual venue. I also refuse to wear heels, and it's not an age thing, I stopped wearing them when I was in my twenties for the sake of my feet and don't intend to start how.

Wendy the Wanderer (and others who might be reading), I wore a classic black dress with jewelry for the formal night. I had on low heels. I felt suitably attired for the evening. My husband wore a dark suit with tie. The dress was easy to pack and quite versatile. Next time, I may take a lovely dress I've worn to black tie weddings, but didn't take it this time because it requires pressing upon arrival. My husband does own a tux as well, but we were advised by our TA that more men wear dark suits these days on formal night on Seabourn I would be interested in knowing if others agree.

Edited by SLSD

I indeed hope you are right In fact I've met Seabourn folks on my Regent cruises and they've been very nice

For myself (not speaking for my husband, who does not own a tux, btw), I do not own a formal gown, and barely a dress that would be called a cocktail dress. So I'll be avoiding formal night next year, and dining in the casual venue. I also refuse to wear heels, and it's not an age thing, I stopped wearing them when I was in my twenties for the sake of my feet and don't intend to start how.

We also no longer own gowns and tuxes. We are retired. Our days of formal corporate parties/children's weddings/formal cruises are over. If I were to wear my old gowns (if I could fit into them) I would look hopelessly out of style. My husband has donated his tuxes and vast assortment of commerbunds to charity. We now vacation in comfort. On a recent cruise, it was enjoyable to observe the handsome men in their formal attire and the lovely ladies in their gowns strolling the deck on their way to dinner. The dress code on that sailing was similar to Seabourn's and neither formally or casually attired passengers seemed out of place. We are embarking on our first Seabourn cruise in January. We were delighted to learn that Seabourn was accommodating the tastes of their casual and formal cruisers in their dress code. I will bring a few "nice" dresses and my husband will bring his navy blue sports jacket and a tie. We will be appropriately dressed in comfort.

I just returned from 32 days on Sojourn to Polynesia and Hawaii. On the three formal nights, there were more men in dark suits or sport jackets and slacks than in tuxes. And on the 29 elegant casual nights, most of the men in the MDR were in collared sport shirts and slacks. Some men wore long sleeved shirts, others short. There were men in polo shirts. Perhaps half the men wore sport jackets, and very, very few wore ties.

I never saw anyone in jeans after 6 in any of the venues, though I didn't see the diners in the Patio Grill. I think men (and women) might feel a bit out of place wearing jeans in the evening aboard ship.

I just returned from 32 days on Sojourn to Polynesia and Hawaii. On the three formal nights, there were more men in dark suits or sport jackets and slacks than in tuxes. And on the 29 elegant casual nights, most of the men in the MDR were in collared sport shirts and slacks. Some men wore long sleeved shirts, others short. There were men in polo shirts. Perhaps half the men wore sport jackets, and very, very few wore ties.

I never saw anyone in jeans after 6 in any of the venues, though I didn't see the diners in the Patio Grill. I think men (and women) might feel a bit out of place wearing jeans in the evening aboard ship.

This is exactly what the SB dress code is now. It's pointless to try and cling to the dress code of ten, or even five years ago.

This is hysterical. We go off CC for a few months, come back to check in as we plan our next cruise, and the dress issue is still first and foremost the most animated (and entertaining) of all the threads. Hardly informative, but amusing.

We had to have something to quibble about once the smoking policy was finally updated. 😂

Of course there is nothing wrong with dressing more sartorially than the dress code suggests.

The suggested dress code is the minimum that is required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely correct. One should follow one's own dress code as long as it complies with what Seabourn has put out. What one should not do is worry about others' dress codes. jmo.