Discover Card Cash Back for RCCL

Has anyone ever used the Discover Card cash back for RCI. My cash back is $40.00 and they give you choices for gift cards, restaurants, stores, etc... One of them is for RCCL and I can get a $80.00 gift card for the $40.00. But does anyone know what it can be used for, down pymt, final pymt, or on board credit.

Was wondering if anyone has ever done this before.

I can't tell you the particulars, but Discover does require bookings to be made through a specific number/agency with most of those rewards. Check their site/cash back bonus info regarding the specifics.

We have used this reward several times. The TA that you must book with is listed on the Discover web site. They have always come up with the same special pricing that we have found else where. You just book the cruise with them, make your down payment, request your certificate from Discover and then mail it to the TA when it comes in the mail. They will credit your final payment with the amount of your reward. You also get 5% reward credit when you book the cruise with your Discover card.

We have used this reward several times. The TA that you must book with is listed on the Discover web site. They have always come up with the same special pricing that we have found else where. You just book the cruise with them, make your down payment, request your certificate from Discover and then mail it to the TA when it comes in the mail. They will credit your final payment with the amount of your reward. You also get 5% reward credit when you book the cruise with your Discover card.

Do you know if there is a limit to the Discover card discounts? For example can you get more than one $80 for $40 "gift cards" like you can with the food cards? I've got sonething like $160 cash back, it would be great if I could turn it into $320 of RCI discount.

Hi :) Here's what Discover's website says:

-------------------

Royal Caribbean® International

- Your certificate will only be applied to new reservations made through the Cruise and Vacation Desk at 1-877-835-8738 - http://www.cruiseandvacationdesk.com/dcbb.

- Your certificate may be combined with most cruise line offers, such as senior promotions, resident specials, and past passenger rates. Subject to availability, some restrictions may apply, please call for details.

- You may apply one certificate per room booked.

- Certificate amount will be applied towards lowest available cruise fare when received by the Cruise and Vacation Desk prior to your departure date.

- Certificates have NO CASH value.

- Payment must be made with your Discover Card.

$80 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in all Stateroom categories.

$120 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in an Oceanview or Balcony room.

$160 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in any Balcony room.

$200 certificate is valid towards a 10-night or longer cruise in all Stateroom categories

-------------------

I found this info on the following page:

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/rewards/app/showAllPartnersTerms#R

- Ryan

I've done it twice now and have an upcoming cruise booked with their TA for August. Patty is great...always on top of things.

Ditto on the special pricing...always got the same deals as the website is offering. They even honor price drops.

It takes 1-2 billing cycles for the reward to post to your Discover Card account. Never been a problem yet.

It IS a good deal...In many cases, better than the OBC offered by some TAs.

The only "catch"...FINAL payment has to be put on your Discover Card...Don't forget that one!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping an old thread here, but...

I just booked a RCI cruise using the agent on the Discover Card website and was told by the agency that I could either use the certificate or the cash back, but could not use both. This made me angry because of course, had I known this I would not have requested the certificate since the cash back is a better deal.

Part of me is wondering whether the agent is wrong and if I just wait long enough (my cruise isn't until next spring) the cash back will get posted after final payment anyway.

Thoughts? Anyone else used this?

I just booked a RCI cruise using the agent on the Discover Card website and was told by the agency that I could either use the certificate or the cash back, but could not use both. This made me angry because of course, had I known this I would not have requested the certificate since the cash back is a better deal.

Part of me is wondering whether the agent is wrong and if I just wait long enough (my cruise isn't until next spring) the cash back will get posted after final payment anyway.

Do you mean that the credit back to your account will not be used to offset your cruise payment?

It usually takes one billing cycle to see the credit applied.

They told me the same thing. We used the 5% cash back.

And, they do charge $50 per cabin for price drops after the final payment. (could be just if you switch cabins due to a price drop, or just for all price drops, I can't remember)

Hi Barb,

I just recently (2 days ago) booked an RCCL cruise and used the Discover certificate for a discount on the cabins but could not also get the 5% cash back on that purchase. Discover told me that i could only use one or the other. Is it possible that you got to take advantage of both offers because you booked your cruise during a month when Discover was offering 5% back on cruises?

Oh I see, the 5% cash back on purchases. I thought she meant the 1% cash back to account. That would make sense that they won't let you combine those two things.

They did recently run a 5% cashback on hotels and cruises but there is a maximum limit to the reward so I just applied the amount up to that limit and put the rest on BOA for the double points.

• 1 month later...
Oh I see, the 5% cash back on purchases. I thought she meant the 1% cash back to account. That would make sense that they won't let you combine those two things.

They did recently run a 5% cashback on hotels and cruises but there is a maximum limit to the reward so I just applied the amount up to that limit and put the rest on BOA for the double points.

I noticed CruiseandVacationDesk is part of the ShopDiscover, in which they offer 5% cash back. Do you know if there is a limit on the cash back using this method? I know their quarterly cash back bonus specials have a limit of a few hunderd dollars.

I noticed CruiseandVacationDesk is part of the ShopDiscover, in which they offer 5% cash back. Do you know if there is a limit on the cash back using this method? I know their quarterly cash back bonus specials have a limit of a few hunderd dollars.

Booked my cruise through them for the 5% cash back. 5% is only on the cruise itself, taxes, port charges, travel insurance, excursions, etc. do not qualify for the 5% back. Due to the cheap cruise prices :), and the high port fees/taxes :mad:, it ended up closer to 3.5% of my total cruise cost. Still better than any of my other cards.

Since I haven't made the final payment yet, I haven't seen the cash back, however they did list the 5% cash back amount on my invoice. (took about 3 weeks for then to email the actual invoice)

Like Barb above, I also tried to use both, but could not. I ordered my certificate first, thinking I could use both then found out upon booking that I couldn't. The 5% discount was a better deal, so I wound up calling Discover and they let me send back the certificate for a refund, but it took some time and the process was a little annoying.

• 1 year later...

Archived