Closet size

Hope to sail soon

Our upcoming (first!!) Viking Ocean cruise is more than 5 weeks in length. I would like to know the dimensions of the closet in a Penthouse Veranda stateroom. The agent I spoke to at headquarters said that they are working on getting the dimensions (they don't know?), but that they are "spacious". A "spacious" closet for a one week cruise is not necessarily a "spacious" closet for a five week cruise. I'd prefer not to have a Monday outfit, a Tuesday outfit, etc. Also are there drawers taking up space in the closet? We will be sailing on the Orion. Thank you in advance for the information!

Our upcoming (first!!) Viking Ocean cruise is more than 5 weeks in length. I would like to know the dimensions of the closet in a Penthouse Veranda stateroom. The agent I spoke to at headquarters said that they are working on getting the dimensions (they don't know?), but that they are "spacious". A "spacious" closet for a one week cruise is not necessarily a "spacious" closet for a five week cruise. I'd prefer not to have a Monday outfit, a Tuesday outfit, etc. Also are there drawers taking up space in the closet? We will be sailing on the Orion. Thank you in advance for the information!

I won't be much help but we were on a 50 day cruise on the Star in a DV cabin. We took 4 large suitcases plus 2 carry-ons. We got everything in the closet and drawers except the extra stuff like meds, razors, lotions, bug spray, etc. Some things we would have hung at home, we folded and put in drawers. No drawers in closets but maybe a shelf on top. Would recommend taking wire hangers. Wooden ones they furnish take up a lot of room and you can toss wire ones before returning home.

We were recently in a PV on the Sea, which doesn’t have drawers in the closet, and will be on the World Cruise in January on the Sun, which does have drawers in the closet. There is lots of drawer space in PV, in the desk, a separate dresser, in the coffee maker alcove, and maybe in the closet. The closet was a standard size double sliding door closet, which for two weeks was fine. I’m a little worried about it on the WC with the drawers half way up on one side. Some people have recommended bringing hanging bags for shoes, multi-level pant hangers etc., which we plan to do in January. If you have to fold things you would rather hang, remember pressing is free in PV.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/content/ocean-star-tour/start.html

We were in a PV stateroom last year and found the closet space to be perfectly adequate. You can see from the video tour on Viking's website that the big closet runs the full length of the bed. I took that one. My husband made use of the smaller closet to the left of the coffee maker and we both shared drawer space in the bureau. If I remember correctly the big closet has two hanging bars and no drawers inside.

Just out of curiosity, how much luggage are you planning to bring? :p

If Viking uses the same modules in all of its cabins (just placing them in different places, as you see in the 360° tour on the V website), the hanging space of the closet is about 5 feet.

The photo below is from the Sea, of the interior of the closet from our DV cabin (in the PV cabins, this closet is along the entry corridor, opposite the bathroom). The drawers, which are beside the closet in the PV room are turned 90° in the DV and can't be seen in this photo, as they face the entry way.

If you don't use the coffeemaker (and honestly the coffee in the Deck 1 bar is much, much better), you can ask to have it removed from the cabin and open up additional usable space in the the cabin.

enhance

A "spacious" closet for a one week cruise is not necessarily a "spacious" closet for a five week cruise. I'd prefer not to have a Monday outfit, a Tuesday outfit, etc.

Wish I could talk dw into a 5 week cruise. However even if we booked one, thanks to free laundry on Viking and no formal nights, I doubt she'd pack any more than what we bring on one or two week sailings.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/content/ocean-star-tour/start.html

We were in a PV stateroom last year and found the closet space to be perfectly adequate. You can see from the video tour on Viking's website that the big closet runs the full length of the bed. I took that one. My husband made use of the smaller closet to the left of the coffee maker and we both shared drawer space in the bureau. If I remember correctly the big closet has two hanging bars and no drawers inside.

Just out of curiosity, how much luggage are you planning to bring? :p

Din, are you sure the PV cabin has 2 closets?? All the videos and photos I've seen show one closet near the entry door and no closet next to the bed. Thanks!

In the newer ships SUN on there are drawers in the DV closet in the picture above. Still room to hang shirts, folded slacks...You loose the shelf on top on that side of the closet. We had adequate room but did bring suction hooks for the walls to hang jackets and bathing suits on. Tip for drying swim suits is to turn UP the heated floor ( newer ships have controls to do this) in the bathroom and put your suit there for a couple of hours. if your suit is sturdy there is a great wringer in the spa area to dry suits too!

Oops! We've just gotten off of a cruise on Celebrity Eclipse and I was thinking of that cabin, which does have the closet by the bed. Sorry about misleading you! I do remember (correctly this time) that the bureau was really helpful in the PV stateroom. I appreciated that extra storage space.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

In the newer ships SUN on there are drawers in the DV closet in the picture above. Still room to hang shirts, folded slacks...You loose the shelf on top on that side of the closet.

Shorty says that the space over the drawers is where DH will get to hang his stuff. I get the hanging bar I can reach!

We had adequate room but did bring suction hooks for the walls to hang jackets and bathing suits on.

Great idea. I keep forgetting to look for them. Pictures of hooks that actually work without sliding down the wall would be most graciously appreciated.

Tip for drying swim suits is to turn UP the heated floor ( newer ships have controls to do this) in the bathroom

I guess they finally figured it out! One temperature does not fit all and a simple switch will save man-hours in the end.

inser

I tried to copy and paste but not working on my I Pad.

I got my suction on Amazon and they work great. They have a locking handle.

Copy and pasting of images does not work, unless they the size of an icon. You can link to a third-party image using the insert image insertimage.gif icon in the compose window (if it even shows in the app/browser you are using--very confusing, every platform is different). You just need the URL for the image in order to make it work.

So here's the url: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51OXkU+gyjL._AC_US160_.jpg and if I click on the insert picture icon and paste the url into the window that opens, I get this in my post. What I cannot tell you is how to copy the url using any sort of a non-Windows PC device. I also understand that using the Forums app makes posting pictures much easier:

51OXkU+gyjL._AC_US160_.jpg

This will be the sixth cruise we have taken of 28 or more days, so I do have some experience with packing for a long cruise.

dln929--I take a 19" carry on neatly stuffed with a variety of clothes options in case my 25" suitcase and I do not arrive at the same place at the same time.

I know that there are free laundromats on the ship, but I'd rather be doing other things than laundry. Also, will the machines be available when I want to use them or will I have to keep checking.

My husband, who prides himself on being a lean packer, has also expressed concern about the size of the closet.

We also have to meet the "elegant casual" requirements of the Fashion Police on the ship.

From what I have been able to gather, the closet is about 5 feet wide. Half of the closet will have drawers with a high hanging bar over the drawers. Therefore, we will need to bring Add-On pant hangers (I had already planned on that) and wire hangers for shirts/blouses.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

inser

Copy and pasting of images does not work, unless they the size of an icon. You can link to a third-party image using the insert image insertimage.gif icon in the compose window (if it even shows in the app/browser you are using--very confusing, every platform is different). You just need the URL for the image in order to make it work.

So here's the url: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51OXkU+gyjL._AC_US160_.jpg and if I click on the insert picture icon and paste the url into the window that opens, I get this in my post. What I cannot tell you is how to copy the url using any sort of a non-Windows PC device. I also understand that using the Forums app makes posting pictures much easier:

51OXkU+gyjL._AC_US160_.jpg[/ quote]

Yes those are the ones I wanted to paste. They work very well. Thank you.

dw has a bag of magnets we always bring. Some have clips to keep papers organized. Several we picked up inexpensively on Amazon hold up to 70lbs. She uses these to hang up jackets and occasionally run a clothes line across the cabin. The most important one goes on the outside of our cabin door so we can find our way "home".

This will be the sixth cruise we have taken of 28 or more days, so I do have some experience with packing for a long cruise.

dln929--I take a 19" carry on neatly stuffed with a variety of clothes options in case my 25" suitcase and I do not arrive at the same place at the same time.

I know that there are free laundromats on the ship, but I'd rather be doing other things than laundry. Also, will the machines be available when I want to use them or will I have to keep checking.

My husband, who prides himself on being a lean packer, has also expressed concern about the size of the closet.

We also have to meet the "elegant casual" requirements of the Fashion Police on the ship.

From what I have been able to gather, the closet is about 5 feet wide. Half of the closet will have drawers with a high hanging bar over the drawers. Therefore, we will need to bring Add-On pant hangers (I had already planned on that) and wire hangers for shirts/blouses.

Just off the Star and when we asked for additional hangers, they gave us wire ones.

Just off the Star and when we asked for additional hangers, they gave us wire ones.

The hangers that come in the closet are nice but they do take up more room than wire ones and since you need extra you probably have more stuff than will fit on the ones provided. A good option for the solution of getting more stuff in a tight space. I always come with wire hangers from the cleaners in my shirts from when I pack and I put my pants on plastic hangers in the suitcase and then I layer in the case and add a small filled wrinkle remover bottle. Once I unpack, you just access the hangers, spray with the wrinkle remover and hang everything in the closet. Takes no time at all.

inser

[/ quote]

Yes those are the ones I wanted to paste. They work very well. Thank you.

You are kidding!!! Two thousand choices and I choose the one you wanted to show me. What are the odds!!

Thank you very, very much. I'm off to order a bunch of them before I forget which one.

I see that someone mentioned that the laundry is free. Am I Correct? is detergent provided or do you need to purchase ?

Is there a clothes line in the bathroom, like I have seen on other ships ?

3 weeks trying not to overpack, but I don't use a dryer.

Thanks so much.

Not quite.

The addition of drawers to the closet applies only to V&DV cabins and only to certain ships. The drawers are a more recent addition and were not standard equipment on the Star and the Sea (as you can see in the picture I posted) and perhaps the Sky as well. My memories say that we didn't start talking about drawers in the closet until the Sun was launched--but maybe it was the Sky. I don't think I have heard any talk about a retrofit on the Star and the Sea yet. And we haven't heard if there are closet drawers on the Orion. (I'm not sure if they are to be standard equipment going forward or only on the vessels involved in the world cruises).

Maybe we will get reports from recent cruisers

I see that someone mentioned that the laundry is free. Am I Correct? is detergent provided or do you need to purchase ?

Thanks so much.

Included, don't purchase. Yes in the shower.

Thanks so much.

To clarify, the self serve laundry is free. There is laundry and dry cleaning service for a fee.

The machines in the launderette dispense low-sudsing detergent-- on some machines it is automatic and on others you must activate the dispense. If you bring your own, it should be the kind marked HE (for front-loading washers)--otherwise you risk damaging the machine and having a heck of a time getting all of the detergent out of your clothing.

As for the clothesline, it is in the shower and is a thin wire. Even on hangers, it will not accommodate a full load of wash; without hangers, just thowing things over the line, expect to be able to dry his and hers undies for one day. There are no clothespins in the rooms and the hangers provided are wooden.

I just ordered six hooks as we were discussing above and I bring skirt hangers of this variety for drying the hand-washables. There aren't enough hanging points in the bathrooms to hold the towels and our laundry but the hooks will solve that problem.

These don't snap in my suitcase and they take up less space in the suitcase.:

41YRO4nnuJL._AC_US218_.jpg