What I like about Holland America

stephensfamily5

Sorry, right church, wrong pew, Nieuw Amsterdam has no promenade seating where you could listen to shush of the sea, no library as it is on the older HAL ships where you could curl up on a comfy chair and maybe doze off.

When did the Nieuw Amsterdam remove the seating on the promenade deck? I was on her last fall and found seating on the promenade deck where I could sit and read and watch the sea go by, and it was still a full promenade deck. I would agree that the library selection on the NA is not what it is on some of the smaller HAL ships but I usually bring my own books with me anyway, and I thought the chairs in the library were quite comfortable, although I wasn't trying to sleep in them.

We've got our first HAL trip planned on the Nieuw Amsterdam next year. Thus, cannot say what we like best at this point, but rather, why we booked. We are looking for a relaxing trip- quiet spaces and places to see beautiful scenery, places to be connected or near the ocean (ie the promenade), some places to curl up and read a good book and relax, a kicked back day in a spa, and friendly staff. From the reviews we have read, HAL offers these things. Anxious for next year's trip to arrive.

great choice......enjoy

Mentioned above, coming aboard “feels like we’re coming home” resounds with me. Also some other things mentioned, like walking around the outer sides ship on the teak promenade, enjoying the sea.

One other thing, personal and, granted, irrelevant to most people, is attending Mass - always enjoy a little singing there, the homily, among other aspects that make it attractive to me.

I love the attitude expressed above in the post by seeriteR!

Not sure what Nieuw Amsterdam you were on but here is a picture of Nieuw Amsterdam Promenade Deck. Lots of seating- none reserved. Lots of comfy chairs all over the ship.

Nieuw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship and classic Holland America

[ATTACH]429116[/ATTACH]

My Bad !!! Was mixed up with the NEW Nieuw Statendam. as I understand it is virtually the same as K'Dam with skinny promenade, no seating ! Sorry ! I won't sail on either of the two new ships as I agree on the comment the "old" ships are Classic and Beautiful and the Promenade Deck was my "go to" place to

read and relax.

My Bad !!! Was mixed up with the NEW Nieuw Statendam. as I understand it is virtually the same as K'Dam with skinny promenade, no seating ! Sorry ! I won't sail on either of the two new ships as I agree on the comment the "old" ships are Classic and Beautiful and the Promenade Deck was my "go to" place to

read and relax.

Appreciate that you were tryingto help. :-)

...One other thing, personal and, granted, irrelevant to most people, is attending Mass - always enjoy a little singing there, the homily...

Excellent point. HAL is one of the few remaining lines that offers religious services on board - something we also appreciate very much. We attend the Interdenominational services but also an occasional Mass and Shabbat service. We had lunch with Father Roman and enjoyed being with Rabbi Eliot on excursions during our last cruise. Always mention this "perk" in the HAL comments after a cruise. They need to know it is appreciated.

... One other thing, personal and, granted, irrelevant to most people, is attending Mass - always enjoy a little singing there, the homily, among other aspects that make it attractive to me...

Excellent point. HAL is one of the few remaining lines that offers religious services on board - something we also appreciate very much... Always mention this "perk" in the HAL comments after a cruise. They need to know it is appreciated.

Two very excellent Posts - thanks. We first came to HAL because HAL has a priest on board every one of its cruises, and we continue to cruise HAL because of this "perk". Thank you, HAL!

Excellent point. HAL is one of the few remaining lines that offers religious services on board - something we also appreciate very much. We attend the Interdenominational services but also an occasional Mass and Shabbat service. We had lunch with Father Roman and enjoyed being with Rabbi Eliot on excursions during our last cruise. Always mention this "perk" in the HAL comments after a cruise. They need to know it is appreciated.

HAL is the only cruise line that provides a Roman Catholic priest on every one of its cruises, for which I am very grateful.

The Apostleship of the Sea of the United States of America (http://www.aos-usa.org/) handles all arrangements for the Cruise Ship Priest Program, including recruiting & vetting candidates, providing vestments and prayer books, scheduling/providing transportation to & from the cruise, etc., etc.

So, in addition to thanking HAL for providing this very valuable service, please join me in supporting AOS-USA with your financial contributions.

Thank you, HAL and AOS-USA!!! (y)(y)(y)

I enjoy the original art very much. The religious services is important to us, particularly on the longer cruises. The staff is amazing and the one thing no we can all agree on. Something that I hope you never have to rate is the medical services which is excellent. I love the feeling I get when I first board and even like the photo stop!

Two very excellent Posts - thanks. We first came to HAL because HAL has a priest on board every one of its cruises, and we continue to cruise HAL because of this "perk". Thank you, HAL!

We were on HAL cruises with priests and in one case he was assigned to our table. He had a great sense of humor and, although he said blessing before he ate, it was to himself and he made no effort to get us all to join him.

He became a major part of our cruise two days before the end of the cruise when someone at our table passed away during the day and he handled the Last Rights privately. At dinner he led a prayer for the individual and handled the situation beautifully. Sad as it was he did a wonderful job dealing the situation.

When coming on board, we feel as if we are coming home--familiar, comfortable, taken care of, great staff providing care of everything from cabins and public spaces to wonderful meals in several different venues and knowing that we will see fascinating places that many other lines don't offer. It's a great way to start off a vacation!

That comfortable, "at home" feeling is why we keep sailing with HAL, too. We've sailed multiple times with Princess and Celebrity, and for some reason, we never feel that same way with them- even though we have a great time and enjoy the other cruise lines.

It really does come down to the crew and staff on HAL. They are warm. It's just a great feeling embarking on a HAL cruise, ready for a great journey, sailing with upbeat people. Counting down to our next HAL adventure in December! :)

we like HAL primarily because we don't need to fly to be on one of their cruises here out of San Diego . HAL & Princess are now our favorite cruise lines . We have done other cruise lines like Celebrity ,RCCL & Carnival

Also now approaching 80 we find our likes have changed & HAL fits us the best :D

I really truly enjoyed my 2 Veendam cruises . Food was great , staff was warm and very competent , entertainment was enormously enjoyable . It was what I thought the cruise experience was supposed to be . I never felt that I had to spend a lot on extras to get the full cruise experience . I always felt that way on NCL, Celebrity and RCI

BUT

The previous comments illustrate why HAL might have a hard time attracting newer and younger clients . Perhaps I'm wrong and with all the other cruise lines trying to attract the same free spending 30 - 50 year old crowd who want tons of attractions and diversions, maybe there is room for a mainstream brand that is more "old fashioned" . One that includes a high level of features included in the basic fare. Not sure . :confused: