Alaska cruise options - would appreciate some Input

Vineyard View

We are looking at a few options for our second Alaska cruise. Our first was RT out of Seattle, 7 days and included the ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, Haines, and Hubbard Glacier. Our goal is smaller ship, off season for reduced crowds and kids, but hopefully decent weather so considering late May/early June or August. The three I have initially decided are below along with the new ports (didn’t list previous ports visited) for us listed as well as ship:

Noordam, 14 day, RT Vancouver, 5/26 or 6/9

Glacier Bay, Seward, Skagway, ( but visits Ketchikan two times)

Amsterdam, RT Seattle, 14 days, 6/3

Icy Straight, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak

Maasdam. SFO, 21 days, 5/7 or 6/18

Astoria, Port Albini, Valdez, Homer, Anchorage, Kodiak, Wrangell (this is attractive due to no travel as we can drive to the ship, however it maybe more money and a little longer than we originally thought to do)

I would appreciate your input on the new ports for us in the itineraries, the ship associated with the travel, and any other thoughts. I keep reading that Glacier Bay is truly something to see, and only one of these trips visits there.

Also would appreciate input on traveling late May/early June vs looking at August given our goals

Thanks in advance

I'm going to suggest an alternative. I think there's a lot to see in Alaska that's not close to the coast. Would you consider the Noordam 5/26 disembarking in Seward and spending a week on land in Alaska (either independently or on a cruise tour) and returning on the Westerdam on June 9.

If you're commited to staying on the ship Maasdam would be my first choice followed by the Amsterdam.

Roy

We are looking at a few options for our second Alaska cruise. Our first was RT out of Seattle, 7 days and included the ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, Haines, and Hubbard Glacier. Our goal is smaller ship, off season for reduced crowds and kids, but hopefully decent weather so considering late May/early June or August. The three I have initially decided are below along with the new ports (didn’t list previous ports visited) for us listed as well as ship:

Astoria, Port Albini, Valdez, Homer, Anchorage, Kodiak, Wrangell (this is attractive due to no travel as we can drive to the ship, however it maybe more money and a little longer than we originally thought to do)

I would appreciate your input on the new ports for us in the itineraries, the ship associated with the travel, and any other thoughts. I keep reading that Glacier Bay is truly something to see, and only one of these trips visits there.

Also would appreciate input on traveling late May/early June vs looking at August given our goals

Thanks in advance

We were also considering the 5/7 Maasdam cruise, until Anchorage and Eureka were dropped, and Port Alberni added, which gets uniformly negative reviews. But ultimately the decisive factor was the price point, which we felt was ridiculously high in comparison to HA itineraries of similar length. Plus you’ve got two sea days out of SF where you’ll see nothing.

I’d go for the Amsterdam, which also includes the relatively rarely visited Sitka as well as the other seldom visited ports you listed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are booked on one of the 14-night Amsterdam cruises, but we originally booked the 21-night cruise out of SF. Here's how we decided on the Amsterdam.

We, too, live close to the SF pier, and our local airporter service also serves the SF piers, so it would have been so easy. However, when we compared the itineraries of the two cruises, we found that the ports we were most interested in were also on the Amsterdam itinerary. We have been to Glacier Bay a few times, but we've only seen Hubbard Glacier once, and it's the one we prefer. Also, we are not particularly interested in sea days, so with the 14-night itinerary, we eliminated four of those.

And it's only a 2-hour flight to Seattle from SFO. :D

We have been on the Noordam and Maasdam. Both are wonderful ships (but Maasdam is something really special). We haven't yet cruised on the Amsterdam, but I have read so many awesome reviews of the Amsterdam lately that I can hardly wait to get aboard her.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your three choices.

I am booked on the Maasdam 21 day Alaska May 29th and the Amsterdam 14 day June 3. We did Amsterdam last year, and really loved the ship. When you say Maasdam is really special may I ask what you mean. I am trying to decide which one to do. We live in Bay Area but flying to Seattle is very easy.

We are booked on one of the 14-night Amsterdam cruises, but we originally booked the 21-night cruise out of SF. Here's how we decided on the Amsterdam.

We, too, live close to the SF pier, and our local airporter service also serves the SF piers, so it would have been so easy. However, when we compared the itineraries of the two cruises, we found that the ports we were most interested in were also on the Amsterdam itinerary. We have been to Glacier Bay a few times, but we've only seen Hubbard Glacier once, and it's the one we prefer. Also, we are not particularly interested in sea days, so with the 14-night itinerary, we eliminated four of those.

And it's only a 2-hour flight to Seattle from SFO. :D

We have been on the Noordam and Maasdam. Both are wonderful ships (but Maasdam is something really special). We haven't yet cruised on the Amsterdam, but I have read so many awesome reviews of the Amsterdam lately that I can hardly wait to get aboard her.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your three choices.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you both very much.

The idea of taking the time for land exploring is attractive I have to say. I was avoiding the Westerdam due to passenger size but hadn’t really looked at this idea so I will spend some rime with it.

We live in Sonoma County as well and the Airporter is an easy option - plus the Maasdam is a draw in itself. If we go with the Seattle option we would fly direct out of Sonoma County airport. Super easy. You also don’t seem all that impressed with Glacier Bay, and I am curious about that. In looking at how few cruise lines are allowed to sail in this bay it seems to be a big draw for many. Not having been there, I honestly don’t know. When we cruised the last time, there was too much ice to get close in to Hubbard.

More research is in order here!

I'll address your timing question. There are generally fewer kids on the May/early June cruises since most schools are still in session. There are usually fewer ships in port in May because some lines haven't moved their ships north (west) yet. However this advantage seems to disappear after Memorial Day.

We've been very successful with May weather. Yes, it can rain, but it can rain any day of the year in Alaska. For the most part we've had sunnier weather in May than in June, July, or August (we've never sailed Alaska in September).

By the way we are sailing the Amsterdam on June 3. This will be the sixth time on this itinerary and the third time on Amsterdam (we've done this run on Zaandam, Statendam, and Maasdam also).

I have done the 14 day itinerary on Maasdam (the one Amsterdam is doing). Can't say enough good things about the itinerary or the ship. I have been on but not actually sailed on Amsterdam; she's a bit larger than Maasdam but in most ways pretty similar.

I am currently scheduled for the 5/28 21 day itinerary on Maasdam. Already love the ship and the itinerary covers most of what the 14 day does (differences between the three sailings--first run in may skips anchorage, second run that i'm on does not do Vancouver, and third run skips Victoria; I wanted the third run but was outvoted). What excited me about this trip was all of the good stuff from my first trip on the same dam ship with the addition of the EXC program educational programs and tours. We were admittedly disappointed that Eureka was dropped as my mother wanted to see a good friend who lives there, but i'm still very much looking forward to this trip.

I also like Roy's suggestion. I'd like to do something like that the next time I get to Alaska.

You really can't go wrong with the 14 day on Amsterdam (I'd take the June sailing) but I'm hoping that the 21 day will be even better and more of what I personally hope to get from an Alaskan cruise. YMMV

I think Maasdam has been refitted as almost an "expedition" ship, with zodiacs, so that probably explains the added cost.

We have done a 7-day, plus a 7-day to Seward with an added road trip after, plus just a few weeks ago, a 14-day round trip Seattle on Zaandam, and that was great! We really enjoyed the new ports, Hoonah, Kodiak, etc., and would do it again, gladly. So I think I would vote for the Amsterdam. :)

Also, if you want to see glaciers... Tracy's Arm is on the 14 day Amsterdam and I think also on the 21 day. We didn't get to do Tracy's on the 14 day (early June) due to ice, but we did go up her neighbor Endicott Arm and saw Dawes Glacier. In Juneau you can venture out to Mendenhall Glacier. Hubbard Glacier is spectacular and is on both the Amsterdam and Maasdam itineraries. And there is a fabulous (a little pricey but worth it) 27 glaciers excursion out of Anchorage which I suspect is even better than Glacier Bay. So if you choose either Maasdam or Amsterdam, you'll not see Glacier Bay but you will not lack for glacier viewing opportunities.

I am booked on the Maasdam 21 day Alaska May 29th and the Amsterdam 14 day June 3. We did Amsterdam last year, and really loved the ship. When you say Maasdam is really special may I ask what you mean. I am trying to decide which one to do. We live in Bay Area but flying to Seattle is very easy.

Maasdam was our first small ship, and when DH and I first walked through the ship, we kept remarking how it had everything a bigger ship did, only in a smaller footprint. And everything was just beautiful, even the Lido, with its lime green pots with orchids on every table. And I thought the MDR was prettier than any of the other ships we've cruised on. Our whole cruise (Canada/New England) was spectacular, which may have colored our opinion of the ship (but I don't think so). So far, Maasdam is my favorite HAL ship. That may change after our June 3, 2019 Amsterdam cruise.

We didn't get to Glacier Bay until our third Alaska cruise. We saw Tracy Arm Fjord and Hubbard on our first two cruises. Then we went to Glacier Bay three times in a row. I still remember how impressed I was as we approached Hubbard Glacier, which is huge. Also, historically, Hubbard is advancing, despite warmer temperatures, whereas most are retreating.

Thank you for the information. I think either sailing will be great. Leaning toward the Maasdam.

Maasdam was our first small ship, and when DH and I first walked through the ship, we kept remarking how it had everything a bigger ship did, only in a smaller footprint. And everything was just beautiful, even the Lido, with its lime green pots with orchids on every table. And I thought the MDR was prettier than any of the other ships we've cruised on. Our whole cruise (Canada/New England) was spectacular, which may have colored our opinion of the ship (but I don't think so). So far, Maasdam is my favorite HAL ship. That may change after our June 3, 2019 Amsterdam cruise.

We didn't get to Glacier Bay until our third Alaska cruise. We saw Tracy Arm Fjord and Hubbard on our first two cruises. Then we went to Glacier Bay three times in a row. I still remember how impressed I was as we approached Hubbard Glacier, which is huge. Also, historically, Hubbard is advancing, despite warmer temperatures, whereas most are retreating.

We were on the 14 day Maasdam Alaska cruise in August of 2016. What a fantastic experience that was. It was our first cruise on Holland America. The ship and itinerary exceeded our expectations for the entire experience.

Pictures can tell you more than my words. If you have time, you might want to visit my wife's website where she has posted pictures of the ship and each port call excursion that we went on. I'll insert a link below for your convenience.

August 1-15,2016 14 Day Alaska Cruise on Holland America Maasdam

Alaska is amazing! Have a great cruise!

Thank for the link. Great pictures.

We were on the 14 day Maasdam Alaska cruise in August of 2016. What a fantastic experience that was. It was our first cruise on Holland America. The ship and itinerary exceeded our expectations for the entire experience.

Pictures can tell you more than my words. If you have time, you might want to visit my wife's website where she has posted pictures of the ship and each port call excursion that we went on. I'll insert a link below for your convenience.

August 1-15,2016 14 Day Alaska Cruise on Holland America Maasdam

Alaska is amazing! Have a great cruise!

My two cents, I was absolutely blown away by Glacier Bay. We had been to Tracey arm before and were very impressed by Glacier, I also think the true inside passage from Vancouver inside of Vancouver Island is absolutely stunning and calmer.

We spent quite awhile in Anchorage and really enjoyed the city.

So for me I would seriously consider Roy’s suggestion and spend some time in between around Anchorage and Denali.

We've been to AK 4 times.

We recently did the Zaandam on the same route as the Amsterdam, RT Seattle, 14 days, 6/3

Icy Straight, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak.

Other than our 3 weeks as independents on the AK Marine ferry, this was the best cruise ever. We'd do it in a heartbeat again BECAUSE of Icy Strait, Kodiak, & Homer.

Thank you all again. I have another question. I was on HAL website last night to look at these cruises. If I narrow it down to the specific months (May/June) and location (only gives Alaska & Yukon as option), as well as departure ports, website is only promoting the land/sea options. How do I view the sea only options? I want to look at cabin availability, etc. These sea only trips were not even showing up.

Also, on cruise critic when I searched for Alaska cruises in these months (how I found these) it provides a big listing of TA’s with large discounts over direct HAL booking. We have a TA we use, however these discounts look significant and I think there has to be a catch? Anyone used these before?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I definitely respect everyone's input on this topic, but wanted to also say that (for us!!) the best day of any Alaskan cruise has always been the day at sea sailing the Canadian Inside Passage on our way back to Vancouver. So whichever cruise you end up booking (and they all sound fabulous!), think about sailing the Canadian Inside Passage and enjoying that beauty and serenity. Our 37th anniversary next year will be spent that way, and we're really looking forward to it.

We also did a land-based DIY trip in Alaska (sandwiched between Alaskan cruise years a while back) and had a fantastic time. The interior is so different from the coast. Both are fabulous, and you're sure to have a great time whatever you do.

Best wishes and enjoy your cruise!

We like the itinerary on the 14-day Amsterdam. But we also enjoyed the train trip Alaska adventure from Fairbanks to Denali, then Seward, boarding for seven days on the water (included Sitka). Both Hubbard and Glacier Bay are worth seeing, but I think that Hubbard is more exciting. See them both, also Icy Strait if on the itinerary. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for many years, and probably later in the season will give you more days without rain, but then one never knows either. Whatever you select you will totally enjoy the excitement and grandeur of Alaska.

Marianne