Aft cabin on Eurodam

JudithLynne

My DH and I are seasoned cruisers having just completed our 42nd cruise.

We have a Mexico cruise booked on the Eurodam and are interested in an aft cabin, specifically 6181.

We have been in aft cabins on previous cruises, although not on HAL, and loved them all except for our last experience which was on the Crown Princess. The engine vibration made sleep difficult. We have never had that happen.

I would love to hear from any of you that have been in an aft cabin on Eurodam or NA. Was noise/vibration an issue? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.....

Hopefully you'll get a timely reply to your inquiry. I was worried about that for our upcoming aft cabin on NA but was assured in previous threads not to worry.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

My DH and I are seasoned cruisers having just completed our 42nd cruise.

We have a Mexico cruise booked on the Eurodam and are interested in an aft cabin, specifically 6181.

We have been in aft cabins on previous cruises, although not on HAL, and loved them all except for our last experience which was on the Crown Princess. The engine vibration made sleep difficult. We have never had that happen.

I would love to hear from any of you that have been in an aft cabin on Eurodam or NA. Was noise/vibration an issue? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.....

We cruise exclusively in aft staterooms which included the Nieuw Amsterdam and have not experienced any excessive vibration. What is really felt is the wake being created by the propellers. The sound of the wake makes sleeping a real pleasure.

Aft staterooms have many advantages: little foot traffic around your door, two minute ride up to the Lido Market or down to the MDR, two minute elevator ride for Room Service so food is always the right temp, but the most important is the amazing view that those in side staterooms have to leave their staterooms to enjoy. Balcony overhead coverage is about half. It is important that you keep an eye on the sun shining into your stateroom. Closing your curtains will keep your furniture from being heated and thus overpowering the A/C.

Here is a link of my photo review of the Nieuw Amsterdam to get you acquainted with the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images

Thank you for your replies, very helpful.

Crew News....I am hoping that sun will not be a big issue as we are traveling north and south so that east and west will be to the side of us.

Since posting this thread, 7141 has come open and looks more appealing to us.

Thank you for your replies, very helpful.

Crew News....I am hoping that sun will not be a big issue as we are traveling north and south so that east and west will be to the side of us.

Since posting this thread, 7141 has come open and looks more appealing to us.

Deck 7 has a little more balcony coverage than Deck 6.

#11 is an interesting post. The vibration that I referred to on the Crown Princess was not a rocking sensation, we are use to that. It was strong engine noise, think of a running garbage disposal. If one were a back sleeper it would be tolerable, we are both side sleepers so our ears are directly on the mattress absorbing the noise. It was very disturbing and disruptive.

KK....thank you for directing me to that post, it is food for thought.

Just a comment: My parents had an aft cabin on the Zuiderdam and could not use the balcony because of the soot. It was lucky that the weather and seas were such that they couldn't really use the balcony anyway, because even walking out there left one with a slight grey tint, from being dusted with soot. They will never have another aft balcony.

Other than the unusable balcony, the cabin was fine. Not motion or vibration at all. In fact, when the rest of the ship was rocking and rolling and being tossed out of bed due to the rough seas, they were sleeping peacefully. The only thing they had to do was tape one of the bedside table drawers closed. They felt almost no movement, and often had to check the wake outside to determine if the ship was moving.

We were in AFT 7143 on the Nieuw Amsterdam two years ago and loved it. No motion or vibrations at all, except slightly when maneuvering for docking.

The room and veranda were definitely larger than a comparable non-aft veranda room.

We are off to Alaska on the Westerdam in July and have AFT 7147 booked; can't wait!

We’re on deck 6 and there is definitely vibration when we are sailing full speed out at sea. I will probably try something on deck 7 in the future. But it’s not something that is deterring me from having a great time.

The aft wraparound balcony is certainly usable and wonderful for seeing sights and taking pictures.

The only negative is the occasional cigarette smoking smell that is probably emanating from the sea view which is also aft.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which sailing are you on? We're on Eurodam's Dec 9th sailing from San Diego in an aft inside cabin (6167).

I'm thinking there won't be all that much vibration all the way up on deck 6, but then again, if there is some, we won't mind it. :)

Which sailing are you on? We're on Eurodam's Dec 9th sailing from San Diego in an aft inside cabin (6167).

I'm thinking there won't be all that much vibration all the way up on deck 6, but then again, if there is some, we won't mind it. :)

We are doing a Xmas cruise 12-23 to 12-30 from SD. Must be nice to live in a port city. I am a graduate of SDSU, BA 1971, MS1972. It is very nostalgic for me to return to SD.

We are doing a Xmas cruise 12-23 to 12-30 from SD. Must be nice to live in a port city. I am a graduate of SDSU, BA 1971, MS1972. It is very nostalgic for me to return to SD.

Yes, we love cruising from San Diego because it is so convenient for us. Just a quick 30 min drive from our house to the cruiseport. No flights to schedule, and none of the stress or hassle of flying to a port of embarkation.:)

I'm an SDSU alumnus as well, class of 1981..;)

We are booked on a cruise to Hawaii in February and have selected an aft stateroom on deck 8. I know that we are under the aft pool deck and wonder if anyone has had experience with an aft deck 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked on a cruise to Hawaii in February and have selected an aft stateroom on deck 8. I know that we are under the aft pool deck and wonder if anyone has had experience with an aft deck 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't have direct experience with a deck 8 aft but the only complaint I have heard is occasional, early morning noise due to the cleaning crew moving some chairs around on the Lido deck.

We were originally booked in an aft cabin on deck 8, but then came to our senses and changed location to deck 6 aft. For the reason you mention... did not want to be directly underneath the pool on deck 9.

We were in Eurodam 6170 last September for Alaska and it was so peaceful. . . watching whales off the back of the boat from our veranda in the wee hours of the night to the gentle sounds of the water. I thought captain talk said engines pull from the front instead of pushing from the back, but more experienced cruisers may correct that.