and so it begins....Dec/Jan Circumnavigation of Australia on Regatta

cbb

I thought I'd begin the review of the Regatta's circumnavigation of Australia Dec 20-Jan 23 by giving you some info we've discovered while in Sydney.

We arrived on Wednesday, a week early, in hopes of conquering jet lag--partial success 5.5 days later. It was about a 17 hr flight.

We left from Miami and at airport security, since we had Global Entry, we did not have to remove liquids, shoes, or electronics. The line was short and moved quickly.

We flew business class on American/Qantas and had a wonderful experience. We actually slept...the person who designed seats that can become beds should receive some sort of Nobel Prize for Travel.

We were handed customs cards to fill out while on board. Take no airline food off the plane.

Upon arrival in the Sydney airport, we stopped at a kiosk and fed our passports in and received a small ticket. Our Global Entry status made everything easy and we did not have to stand in line or speak with anyone.

That ticket was then fed into another machine for facial recognition; warning--feed the ticket arrow first before removing your eyeglasses. Mr Wonderful removed his glasses 1st and couldn't read the display indicating he had incorrectly fed the arrow!

From there we went to the "nothing to declare" line, handed a man our customs card, and we were done!

On to baggage claim and took an airport elevator down to the train station! We purchased Opal Cards there, took the train from the airport to Circular Quay, and the station was very close to our hotel....cost $17AU each.

Our hotel room was ready for us and we showered, changed clothes, and went back outside to walk in the sun. Wear sunscreen constantly and always carry a bottle of water.

An RCL ship was in the Overseas Passenger Terminal and it was switch-over day so there were lots of people pulling suitcases one way or the other on Circular Quay.

The weather was wonderful so down to the Opera House and over to Macquarie Point for the obligatory selfie with the Opera House and the Bridge in the background-- all while dodging tourists.

We traveled through the Botanical Gardens, found lunch, and then hitting the figurative brick wall, walked back to the hotel, and surrendered to the lure of the bed for a 3 hr nap.

Had dinner at an outdoor plaza where the workers congregated after a hard day of working. Men wore tailored pants, dress shoes, no ties, and practically every guy was wearing a blue or white long sleeve dress shirt. They greeted each other with a manly handshake without spilling a drop from the glass in the other hand!

Women typically were wearing high heeled ankle boots or stilleto pumps and black sleeveless sheaths or flowery dresses. Neither Mr Wonderful or I were under any risk of being mistaken for working people!!!

Back to the hotel, a 2nd shower, and we collapsed into bed!

We're planning our adventures each morning at breakfast after checking out the weather radar. I researched all the things we'd like to see and do and he loaded the info into his phone and GPS but are making it up as we go.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow might be the bus to Bondi Beach. We love Sydney!

C,

I share your “love” of Sydney. If there is a city equal to (or maybe even better than) SF, it would be Sydney. It’s just too far away from everything but Sydney :D

If you like Chinese food - enjoy their Chinatown. For Dim Sum we like the Marigold.

https://www.marigold.com.au/

Have fun in Sydney and on your cruise!

thanks for the suggestion Paul! If we get that way, I'll look for Marigold.

I'd live in Manly I think. Beach town, 2 big grocery stores, everybody is chill and sweet and the ferry ride is beautiful.

I could do it for 3 months but it's taking me far longer than i thought to get over jet lag....still waking up for about 2 hrs in the middle of the night ....and i am not taking naps.

Trust me, if anyone needs her beauty sleep it is I......

So pleased that Mr Wonderful is doing his blog once again! I really enjoyed following your RTW trip. So far, his photos of wonderful Sydney are great. We're looking at taking the same cruise next year so are interested in what you discover.

Another thanks for the blog and great photos, we were so tempted by this cruise we got all the quotes and chose a cabin but bottled out at the last minute. So we will follow with interest and no small measure of envy!

And the Rocks Cafe was where we had a great breakfast every morning last time we stayed in Sydney, nice to see they are still going strong.

I really enjoyed you and your husband's writings when you were on the world cruise, so I am looking forward to reading about this trip too. Thanks for taking the time out of your cruise to do this again!

Thanks Deus!!! we're at it again!!

Our first full day in Sydney! We both slept in naps....asleep for a couple of hours, then awake, then a couple more hours but managed to get in about 6 hours total and so were ready to get out in the sun and walk.

Because the day was extraordinarily beautiful we decided over breakfast to catch the bus to Bondi Beach. We had been there before and wanted to return and stay for a little longer this time.

If you are at all adventurous you can totally "do" Sydney on your own using their mass transportation system. Buy an Opal Card at the airport.

Circular Quay was a great place to get the bus to Bondi and using the Opal Card, we simply tapped our way on and off . Riding the local bus had the additional advantage for me of people watching.

Nothing like seeing a 6 year old tap her Opal Card up to the reader and nonchalantly choose a seat with Mom maneuvering little brother in his pram into the bus.

Two young men jumped up and flattened their seats up against the wall and mom expertly drove the pram right into the newly opened parking space. Genius design!! Pulling into Bondi Beach we thanked our driver and received a cheery response from him.

Walking along the promenade we took pictures of the beach and mostly young men surfing. We visited a little cafe next to the Life Guard Station Building and sat under a beach umbrella and nursed a cold drink.

After deciding we were fit enough to walk we took off to hike the coastal trail from Bondi to Tamarama which was lovely. Great pano views of beaches, surfers looking very small, and the ocean to the horizon.

Tamarama was a very quiet and laid-back place compared to Bondi.

From Tamarama to Bronte was a little more of a climb and it was beginning to approach plus 30C (90F) with no shade so we decided that it would be a very good idea to call it quits.

The walk to Bronte was stunning with walls of rock on our right and ocean to our left. There were no guardrails, no warning signs ....in other words we were responsible for our own safety!

We did walk around Bronte and kudos to those who designed water stations, bathrooms, and safe stairs even in rocky elevations.

Families had spread blankets and popped "nippers" and snacks on them while the older kids played on the playground equipment and "shelter sheds" with picnic tables were in use......good job Bronte!!

Many places we saw throughout the beach communities had signs reminding people to wear sunblock and they take beach safety very seriously. Bronte's Surf Life Saving Club sign says it is the birthplace of surf safety in 1931.

Heat and jet lag suddenly made hiking no longer fun so we caught the bus at Bronte and came back into Sydney. It is so easy to use all the forms of mass transportation here.

Upon our return to Sydney, and in an attempt to avoid the siren song of the bed, we walked slowly towards the Victoria Building Mall-- a must-see famous shopping site.

Built in the 1890s in the Victorian style of architecture, this multi-level building today holds more than 180 shops. There is graceful iron work , beautiful tiled floors, and a circular promenade on each floor opens to a central space that soars from the ground floor to the top.

At Christmas there is a huge tree that fills that open space and there are thousands of strings of lights and enormous ornaments that take volunteers hundreds of hours to place. Pretty extraordinary!

We finally returned to our room, did not nap, and later returned to the Circular Quay to share an entree and drain 2 large carafes of water and saw a Carnival ship. Walking back to the hotel we reiterated our belief that we could live here, although it is expensive.

I saw a McDonalds and ordered a medium black coffee and it was $4.50AU, or $3.50US....a dozen eggs (not free range) were $3.00AU ($2.25US) and gorgeous places to live with harbor views 1bed/1bath can start at $1MAu. Probably not a lot of $ from wages left to save at the end of the month.

This is a very multi-cultural city with beef BBQ shops located next to sushi cafes and beer pubs everywhere! Cheers!

If there is anything specific you want to know about flying in and grabbing transportation (not the kind the Brits imposed) or places to visit, let me know and I'll try to accommodate you!

Thanks for going along with us!!!

So true!! I remember the very first cruise we went on (while working in Oman) in 1997 on the old Royal Viking. It was all around SE Asia and we were in a tiny room with beds like cots and a port hole. It was a wonderful cruise despite the accommodations, and we still talk about it. A far cry from our lovely O ships.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" was the rule for today!

The Wizards of Oz Weather forecast that it was going to be a rainy day in Sydney so we decided to stay fairly close to the hotel at Circular Quay by following a DIY history walking tour of the Rocks I had found and carry ponchos and wear "water shoes."

Of course, it never did rain, ponchos were not needed, and the sun came out after a cloudy morning.

After the Revolutionary War the new United States refused to accept British convicts so the Empire began to consider other places to send them. What better place than Australia--half way around the world; thousands were sentenced to "transportation" there.

The First Fleet is the term given to the 11 ships that left Portsmouth, England in May, 1787 filled with over 1000 people --convicts, Royal Navy men, mariners, bureaucrats, and free people to become the founders of the first European settlement in Australia.

These ships arrived 250+ days later in Botany Bay and stepped ashore in an area they called "The Rocks" named after the local sandstone from which the buildings and homes would be constructed by convict labor.

The convicts and others literally carved a home and life out for themselves, serving out what would essentially become a life sentence in Australia.

Today, the Rocks is very historic, with cobblestone walks, narrow streets, old buildings, and wonderful places to dine, drink, and explore. Try the following to give you some ideas for exploring the Rocks. On the weekends there is an Artist/Crafts market that is wonderful!

http://www.sydney.com.au/heritage.htm

https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/free-walking-tours-in-sydney/

https://www.experiencesydneyaustralia.com/sydney-australia-highlights/the-rocks/

Awakened to beautiful skies--beach day!!! Hat= check! Sunscreen= check! Water=check! It was hot, hot, hot!!! ....over 90!

Went to the Circular Quay and got on the slow ferry to Manly. There is an express ferry but we wanted the pleasure of the ride not the efficiency!

Sit in the back outside if you can. The photo opps back there are amazing. Great shots of the Opera House and the Bridge, lighthouses, and sailboats. Returning to Sydney, head for the front.

Taking the ferry to Manly --$7.35AU --is much cheaper than getting a "harbour cruise" plus you don't have somebody talking at you the whole time. We've done both and think the ferry has the reward of Manly at the end plus the photo opps.

Manly is a personal fave of ours. It reminds us of small coastal towns in Florida. It has 2 big grocery stores, lots of shops, restaurants, and cafes/pubs to get coffee or a cold one and enjoy extraordinary views. It would be easy to live here and it's only a short ride to the Big City!

As you get off the ferry walk straight ahead on the Corso (main street) until you see the beach and the Steyne promenade.

Turn either North or South although we always turn left!! Prams, doggies, surfers, and all age groups sharing a lovely promenade. (plenty of bathrooms, too!)

Volleyball games were in progress as well as the opportunity to learn how to play guided by an instructor...again all ages in the learner's group.

We also saw a skilled game of beach tennis...think badminton but with a tennis ball and much more competitive!!!

While we were there announcements were being broadcast along the beach to swim carefully as there were rip currents that day. Each swimming area had 3-4 life guards standing watch within 8-10' of each other and everyone was to swim "between the flags."

"Between the flags" is a cute slogan often found on tee shirts but is a serious warning to watch for the 2 flag poles planted at water's edge--only safe place to be.

While you are there, grab one of the free booklets about Manly; lots of great info about restaurants, beach walks, life guarding history, bike & board rental, and good maps.

There are also coastal walks from Manly to other places but it was just too hot for us to attempt.

If I ever run away from home, Mr. Wonderful will probably first look for me in Manly where he will be welcome to join me.....shhhh, don't tell Immigration.

Love the look of Manly. Since I was born and raised in Hawaii, am always up for the beach! On another topic, when you go to Brisbane, hope you are scheduled to go to Lone Pine Koala Sancuary. It is a really cool place and you can get a photo with a cute koala. Our sweet little female was "Guppy". Did an O tour here and it was very good.

palakika-

thanks for the info on the Lone Pine sanctuary! We've been here before and I agree that it is a wonderful place.

We're probably going to do a DIY walk here and headed for the South Bank--an area we don't think we've been to before.

We'll be traveling with 2 Aussies (Jennie and Peter) and 2 Canadians (Cathi and Bruce) but we haven't decided if each couple is doing their own thing in Brisbane or if we're traveling as a marauding gang!

The day after Manly, with the Wizards of Weather predicting foul weather, we decided to risk it and head for a walkabout to Darling Harbor-- about a 1K walk from Circular Quay.

If you wish to visit the Aquarium and the Maritime Museum Darling Harbor is for you. From there you can drift into Chinatown and shops and gardens.

Darling Harbor also has a wide variety of cafes and restaurants and almost all of them have open views of the ferry wharves.

At Christmas the Bridge over the Harbor was decorated for Christmas with brightly colored flags each with a word like "Joy" or "Love" in several languages. The street lights had coverings over them so that the lights on the bridge looked like giant ornaments....very cute!

The Maritime Museum was excellent.....and free. If you enjoy any history, especially naval history, then I recommend this Museum highly!

After walking around for several hours we took the ferry from Darling to Circular Quay so that we could sail under the Sydney Bridge. It was a fast ferry and a fun ride, plus I got to look at the waterfront condos!!! I looked online and most waterfront residencies regardless of size are over $1M AU.

We decided to eat at Cafe Extra on the Quay so that we could people and ferry watch and the food was exactly what we were looking for....shepherd's pie for Mr. Wonderful and fish and chips for me . There was a Rocket Salad as well. (a type of greens)

A Royal Caribbean ship was in port so there were lots of tourists milling around and there were lots of locals so it was a lovely mix of people laughing, hurrying, and some looking puzzled! I did hear "what the #$%^ is "tap on, tap off" and felt so knowledgeable!!! (you tap your Opal card at the reader entering and exiting)

Every day that we've been here there has been a cruise ship in port at the Overseas Passenger Terminal; unfortunately the Regatta is berthed at the White Bay Terminal so we'll have to catch mass transit from our hotel to the ship....no biggie!!! (I think we're doing the 2 ferries thing)

Tip for the day: just as Aussies drive on the "wrong" side of the road, so too do they walk on the "wrong" side of the sidewalk . You soon learn!!!

We awoke this morning to clearly what was going to be a beautiful day and didn't even bother to look at BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) report.

Over breakfast we looked over my research notes and except for walking across the Bridge we had seen every thing we wanted to. (Mr Wonderful has developed a touch of acrophobia in his old age so we ruled out Bridge Walk.)

Yes there are museums we didn't see but we've adopted the Aussie belief in being outside as much as possible and the weather helped drive that decision.

Opera House/Macquarie Point area, Botanical Gardens, CBD, Hyde Park, Rocks, Darling Harbor, Chinatown, Battery and Bridge area, bus to Bondi, ferry to Manly= check! All recommended.

So we decided that since we had such a great day at Manly we'd repeat that ferry ride and walk-about.

We topped off our Opal Card (added extra $ to it which can be done by feeding kiosk cash or using a credit card) so that we'd have plenty for our ride to White Bay Terminal to board the Regatta. There are plenty of places around transportation hubs to add $.

Don't worry, there are also ATMs everywhere, charging a $2-3 fee, but that's small change for what you're going to spend in Sydney!!!

The ferry ride was just as wonderful as it had been the first time, although with fewer sailboats out. Being a weekday those poor folks were in some office rather than behind the helm of their sailboat !

We bought a cute little ornament at the Manly Ferry gift shop (to the right as you clear the ferry building) and they also have some nice vintage-looking surfer tees there and maps.

Free bathrooms are in the ferry building just to the left of the Aldi grocery store. There is both an elevator and steps that take you down to the toilets. It is faster to use the stairs if you are able. There are also bathrooms located in buildings located on the Steyne (beach promenade)

As we walked the Corso (main street) we decided to be daring and turn right to South Steyne-- a direction on the promenade we hadn't been to before. I recommend this highly, if you have the time.

We spotted the promenade turning a corner at what we thought was the end of the beach and it proved to be a lovely walk to Shelly Beach, a much smaller and more sheltered beach than Manly's.

When you're walking to Shelly Beach look for cute little sculptures of ocean life and mammals indigenous to the area. They will be on the stone wall on your right as you head south.

Do this walk early if you are here in their summer as it can be a hot walk unless you are used to very hot weather. Fortunately we heeded our own advice and were walking by 9:30am--with hats, water, and sunscreen. There are drinking fountains along the way and the water is safe to drink...no worries!

As we have seen everywhere, all ages were enjoying and exploring outside. Lots of prams, doggies, wet little kids, and young and older people just enjoying themselves.

On the walk to Shelly, there is a swimming pool that periodically gets refreshed by the ocean waves. This is a great place for little kids and senior citizens to enjoy the water safely and there was giggling from both generations--particularly when a little wave comes in!

We had lunch at the Manly Grill which had great food and an ocean view and the ride back was bittersweet as we don't know if we'll ever get back to Sydney.

So, tomorrow we board Regatta and we'll see if those propulsion problems have been fixed. If they haven't.....darn....we'll have to stay here longer! What a punishment!!!