Regatta Help Needed...Unable to shower in cabin, are there spa showers?

California Native

So I have a problem.

After a lot of hard work actually finding a handicap cabin available for a B2B that wasn’t being used by an able body person ...(that’s a whole other issue with Oceania policies.)

I was told by numerous Oceania res agents that the handicap accessible cabins are showers when i was asking about the safety bar features. .

My doctors do not want me in a bath tub even on dry stationary land.

I have stayed in the Pacific Princess and AZ ship cabins before which are roll in showers with a seat . (turns out those cruise lines modified the R ships because they understood what handicap/ disabled needs are. )

CBB is onboard the Regatta right now and they were kind enough to confirm with the cabin attendant/steward.

it is a BATHTUB

I’m trying to remain classy with my post here, but i’m sure you can understand my frustration, anger, dismay and just another road block that wasn’t suppose to be there.

We will be onboard for 3 weeks.

Where can I shower on this ship...the spa area? and are the showers private? is there anyway my husband could accompany me for safety reasons?

I’m just really frustrated!!! The ship is sold out, so moving isn’t an option to a regular cabin which i would have just booked in the 1st place if i had known it was a bathtub.

I’m really afraid to make waves (haha) with Oceania because i don’t want them to deny me boarding.

any thoughts?

Edited by California Native

I am sorry to hear about your situation - I am sure that it must be very frustrating.

I have a couple suggestions:

• There are 2 more wheelchair accessible cabins on deck 4 (4034 & 4035). Do they also have tubs? If not, maybe you can ask Oceania to change your cabin if those in 4034/5 are not handicapped
  • At least your cabin is wider so that it can accommodate a wheelchair - a regular cabin might not

I hope that your problem can be solved to your satisfaction.

BTW - don’t worry about making these types of waves - they will not deny you boarding on this basis.

It seems odd that to get a bathtub on a R ship you need to book at least a PH room, but the accessible room has one where it's a hindrance? Somehow doesn't make sense. Perhaps the room attendant CBB asked didn't understand the question.

At any rate don't let your issues with Oceania color your experience, otherwise you'll find fault in everything. Or perhaps if it's not too late you can cancel and book one of the lines that are set up better for your needs.

Either way enjoy your cruise.

I found this response in a 2009 post when I entered "4028" into the search field.

The designated handicapped staterooms(4028, 4034, and 4035) do have tubs, however, there is a shower head with a 56" hose attached, which makes it possible to shower outside the tub in a shower chair. The water can drain through the floor. The toilet seat is 20" off the floor and has a handrail located behind it.

You can shower in the spa, however those facilities are unisex and I’d doubt they would allow your husband in the woman’s area. I’m sure that if you request assistance, Oceania would ensure a female assistant is there for what safety concerns you may have.

I believe most shower in their cabins as prescribed by Terrier.

Thanks everyone.

I’m currently on hold with Oceania.

deleted the rest of the post because i’m sure oceania wouldn’t be happy me

I will share more after we return, so there disabled people will know what to expect and won’t go through this

Edited by California Native

What may be the most amazing part of this to me is that you were told that showers existed where they don't. Don't customer service reps get ANY training about the ships?

I do hope this works out in your favor. It should!

Mura

Hi Everyone

Terrier...

Thank you for that info.....I can’t sustain holding a shower head so that component is a problem.

Mura...

No they don’t get training and a lot of them assume since all other inside cabins have showers than this did except the res agent i had that just tried to get me to cancel by saying all cabins in all categories had tubs.

I spoke with a supervisor and one thing he repeated is that Oceania wasn’t giving mis information because they state the CABIN access is wheelchair accessible.

see how they did that.

no where in any collateral do they have pictures or explanations that it is a tub.

you have to rely on a res agent giving you factual info and not just assuming the most logical info.

I have over 100 countries in my passport, i’ve been cruising for 48 years since I was a small child.

I know what I’m doing more than the Oceaniares agents

The only difference with my travels is that in the last couple of years

i’ve become disabled from sudden onset of severe Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Everyday is different for me....some days the pain, strength, deformity is so bad my husband has to dress me and cut my food for me....

other days I am a master with chopsticks and can curl my hair.

what remains consistent is....

no stairs, no long walks and never ever EVER bathtubs on land or sea.

and of course my need, desire and wish to never stop traveling.

I sympathize with your problem, California! (I too am a "California native" although I've now lived in NYC for more years than at my original home.)

Certainly there were terrible errors made here. A close friend of mine from college also has rheumatoid arthritis so I'm somewhat aware of the problems. Here's hoping you have more good days than bad!

Mura

Paul Chili

You are always so kind.....

we “knew” each other another lifetime ago on here

I think I should restart another type of travel blog on traveling as a disabled person!

Thank you for your kind words.

Here is hoping that your cruise will be a pleasant one :)

california native--

i think you SHOULD start a thread on disabled travel--at least on O-- that could become a sticky so that others could contribute.

the smallest event can turn a person into 'disabled' even if it is not permanent. We traveled once with a man who had knee replacement surgery and still went on the cruise because they couldn't get their money back.

He said that it gave him a whole new appreciation of what people deal with that know they arenn't going to improve with time.

I'm sure that passengers would be appreciative of others' info and hints--including those for the care takers.

Good job coming up with this idea--may start a whole new look at traveling for us. There are about 78 million baby boomers --many who will want to travel.

Paul Chili

You are always so kind.....

we “knew” each other another lifetime ago on here

I think I should restart another type of travel blog on traveling as a disabled person!

There is a very active board on disabled travel here on Cruise Critic.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I'm shocked that O ships would have accessible cabins with bathtubs! I've never seen that on any other ships or hotels. Even people with no mobility issues can have a hard time getting in and out of ship bathtubs (been there, done that). Since it's only a matter of 3 cabins, I think O needs to replace these with roll-in showers asap. It's the right thing to do.

We stayed in one of those “accessible” cabins once. The closet has pull down railings. Very handy if in wc.

The bathroom is what’s known as a “wet room” where you can shower outside the tub as stated earlier. If you are not able to hold the shower head ( I don’t remember if there is a way to support it outside the tub) your husband could assist you. You’ve already asked if he could enter the ladies spa to do so. You will, in fact be able to shower in your own cabin.

There is also loads of floor space that adds to wc maneuverability.

I do know whereof I speak as a former nurse and hubby is a physiatrist specializing in spinal cord injuries.

I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone!

I had intended to respond sooner, but my physical therapy was a doozy this week.

Anyway, I have an update...

We are currently on a B2B for 19 days and we had 4028 for both segments.

We have moved to another inside cabin which is assigned for the 1st segment and a gtd in our category for the 2nd segment.

This is much better than me being in the handicap bathroom. We have actually stayed in this cabin for 24 days and while it is small it’s actually safer as i will always have something to hold onto.

I would NEVER have booked the handicap cabin if Oceanias res agents had told me truth and not assumed it was a walk in shower

I would have been able to have 1 st pick of the other cabin and been in the SAME cabin during both cruises, now we will have to move because of Oceanias lack of training their employees.

I’m an open book about everything because I think it’s the best way to educate those that have never been in my situation... so, I would like to explain further.

I am currently not in wheelchair. However I do have mobility issues.

I’m sure all of you are aware of arthritis in your knee or elbow. it’s the one knee that always hurts. However with Rheumatoid Arthritis, it is every single joint in my body, just think how many intricate little joints are in your fingers, hands, feet, hips, arms, shoulders.

A 16oz water bottle can feel like 16 pounds, pushing open a cabin door or turning a door handle is painful.

So all the features that The ADA is suppose to insure for hotel rooms, bathrooms etc I need and according to several board certified doctors I am permanently disabled. It might not look like it with a quick glance as you walk by me, but I am.

It is also my organs and because it’s auto immune I have seriously low white counts

Part of the treatment cocktail I take to help me fight of this disease is chemotherapy....i know, who knew that chemo was used for other things besides cancer.

I would like to address the wet shower/ bathroom concept...

This is so VERY dangerous not only to me, but also anyone else including able bodied people for slipping.

A true ADA handicap bathroom is not designed this way as it goes against all safety features.

Thank you to all that suggested the disability thread

that is an excellent resource for those traveling with wheelchairs, medical equipment and service dogs. i was able to gather a few tips. There’s also a website that I discovered call wheelchairjimmy.com and he has hotel recommendations that helped narrow down hotels with roll in showers in SEA and YVR.

I will give updates on the Regatta when I return or even onboard with any mobility concerns I’ve experienced or seen.

If you have any questions let me know.

Your desire to continue traveling despite serious challenges is very inspiring! Good luck to you as you continue moving forward on the cruise.

Francie

Thank you! In the beginning of all this, in the darkest of days when i told my husband i didn’t want to be a burden and to just put me in a care facility (i was 48 then).

My Rhuematologist talked to us about the various options of drug cocktails and the deadly side effects.

He said to me what is your goal for treatment.

I blurted out...I need to be able to travel!

He said it wont be easy on you, but I will make that happen.

and 14 months later we spent 6 weeks in Australia and Tasmania!!!

There’s a lot of places I can’t travel to because my meds aren’t allowed in the country or with my low white count it wouldn’t be safe as I can no longer have live vaccines, but there’s enough places still out there for me to explore!

california native--

good job educating people! And as long as you 2 feel able to travel i hope you will be able to do so..it might take you a little longer to do something or go somewhere, but who cares...you're on vacation and you're together.

you are a strong and fierce woman---you go girl!

california native--

good job educating people! And as long as you 2 feel able to travel i hope you will be able to do so..it might take you a little longer to do something or go somewhere, but who cares...you're on vacation and you're together.

you are a strong and fierce woman---you go girl!

Ditto!! Keep living life as you want for as long as possible. God bless you both! :halo: