Need some comments from recent cruisers about Regatta.

wombatjoey

We have booked an Alaska/Denali experience for August of this year.

I have read several unfavorable items about recent experiences on Regatta, such as age of ship, food, etc. Food is really important to us. We have done mostly Celeb , 40 plus cruises and one O on the Marina.

Any comments pos or neg would be appreciated. There are several cruiselines that do a great job in Alaska, we do not have to chose Oceania.

We have booked an Alaska/Denali experience for August of this year.

I have read several unfavorable items about recent experiences on Regatta, such as age of ship, food, etc. Food is really important to us. We have done mostly Celeb , 40 plus cruises and one O on the Marina.

Any comments pos or neg would be appreciated. There are several cruiselines that do a great job in Alaska, we do not have to chose Oceania.

Just recently traded e-mails with a couple on Regatta while in Australia:

The negatives:

Some waitstaff not up to par

Self-serve washing machine out-of-order

One elevator out-of-service for several days

The positives:

Food excellent

All else same as previous enjoyable Regatta cruises.

BTW, Regatta has had a major dry dock within the past five years. IMO, Oceania is still the best overall ROI value in cruising today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the final Alaska cruise for 2017 (Vancouver to San Francisco) on Regatta and loved it. I'm just off one of the Tahiti cruises on Marina and have to say that I prefer Regatta over Marina. Both crews were fantastic but I preferred the smaller ship in virtually every respect.

The public area art on Marina wins over Regatta, but Regatta has some beautiful stuff, too.

Food-wise, loved Polo Grill on both ships. Don't care for Toscana on either ship, but it was slightly better on Marina. Preferred Terrace Cafe on Regatta to the one on Marina, and also the afternoon tea and room service. Grand Dining Room food-wise good on both, but space-wise preferred Marina. Yes, the menus are the same, but the execution was usually slightly better last year on Regatta. Of course, this is all very subjective and could also change due to crew rotations.

I, too, read the recent reports about Regatta and was dismayed. I don't disbelieve the reports, but it's hard to imagine how quickly conditions could change. (Then again, not my area of expertise.)

My favorite part of my Regatta cruise was the absolute silence and stillness at Hubbard Glacier.

• 1 month later...

Not trying to get this thread off course, but:

For the person who did the Alaska cruise, I was curious if you went to Icy Strait and Prince Rupert, and if so, what did you do? I'm kind of struggling to figure out what to do there.

Also, for that washing machine out of order that someone mentioned he or she read about in another thread, can I assume that was just one washing machine, on just one floor?

Glad to hear things are generally pretty good. A good attitude goes a long way, too, and for the most part, I find Oceania's passengers to be flexible and positive, which helps make cruising on Oceania a positive experience.

We did a 24 day cruise on the Regatta in February 2018. I should say this was our 4th Oceania cruise, having done 3 on the Riveria, this is our 1st time on the Regatta. We loved our Riveria cruises but knowing the Regatta was a smaller ship, I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be as good an experience.

It took a day or two to get used to the smaller size ship ( we found ourselves comparing the two ships too often) but after that, we began to really enjoy the more intimate feel. Surprisingly enough, wherever we went, it never felt crowded, well except for maybe the pool area where the chair hogs were in pique form! The ship was extremely clean and we felt wherever we went, the crew worked hard to make our cruise great.

We so thoroughly enjoyed the food on the Riveria, we wondered if the food on the Regatta would be as good. I’m happy to say we were not disappointed. I thought we might miss Jacques or Red Ginger but we found that each night in the MDR, there was always a signatures dish from each.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Regatta cruise and I wouldn’t hesitate to book another on this ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not trying to get this thread off course, but:

For the person who did the Alaska cruise, I was curious if you went to Icy Strait and Prince Rupert, and if so, what did you do? I'm kind of struggling to figure out what to do there.

Sorry, no. I only went ashore twice, and then just for a couple of hours. For me the cruise itself was the draw.