Updating original thread asking for flight advice.

vegasdriven

Once again, thanks to all for the helpful advice!

Just to let you know how things went with my booking of flights. After looking at everything I ended up taking the credit from Regent, and booking the flights that work the best for us.

I have to say that I am a little disappointed that my TA lead me to believe she had more experience with Regent, as she clearly did not! I ended up doing all the work, and because she was away on a cruise, when she got back prices had risen dramatically.

Jackie, that was a great option going united through Denver, but within days of looking at it the price nearly doubled. I found a routing we liked(very thankful for the ita suggestion recommended by a few of you) Van-Dfw-Mia on AA leaving at 7am, 4 hr wait in Dallas, getting to Miami at 8pm. If anyone has a recommendation for Dallas airport, we shall probably be looking to have a decent lunch there, it would be appreciated.

Coming home we leave 3pm, stop in Phoenix for an hr, and arrive in Van around 9pm local time. We have to overnight in Van both ways, but we used Alaska miles to stay at the Fairmont in airport, which we love.

I tried to get to deal with Regent personally, but my TA said they wouldn't go for it, she also said they told her they don't contract with United or AA. They offered Delta or Air Canada, but both itineraries were bad, so that is when I decided to take the credit, and do it myself. I think she should have pressed them harder, but lesson learned.

I managed to find a small regional airline that takes us off the island for less than half what Air Canada or Westjet want so that is good.

When it comes down to it, it ends up costing us a little over a thousand extra, so really not a big deal, and now we can just look forward to a great, relaxing vacation!

Wow - your TA really fed you a load of garbage. It is unusual for a TA to be that untruthful. Regent has had contracts for a long time with American and United. Interestingly, sometimes, even though they contract with Regent, Air Canada flights can be difficult to get.

Good to hear that you booked your own flights!

In terms of Dallas airport, while I can not recommend a specific restaurant, whenever we are in Texas (Dallas or Houston) we find the nearest BBQ restaurant - such great food there.

It is a load of garbage as I am live with Sabre AA’s system many flights available through DFW, PHX, and BNA which is Nashville and with less than a two hour layover.

Go to AA.com and see for yourself. Apparently he/she is to lazy to help you. Hope this helps.

Oh, I wanted to add DFW has loads of restaurants in all terminals and they have a great Centurion Club if you are a AMEX Platinum card holder and they have several Admirals Clubs in all their concourses.

Your TA is either:

1. An order-taker rather than an agent for your interest
  2. Inexperienced/unqualified in booking air travel
  3. Lazy and complacent, taking what is given rather than researching
  4. Some combination of the above
  5. All of the above

Take your pick.

I am wondering ifRegent has a finite supply of seats, with those carriers, and maybe they are gone or close to it, so they are trying to steer Canadians to AC, Westjet?

I am actually quite happy with the 4 hr layover in Dallas, it just takes the GE off of worrying about delays, and not having time to make the next flight. Bit of a worrywart:eek:

Hence we are doing 2 nights pre cruise- should be able to enjoy a day in Miami.

I have been looking at Miami beach, but I think it will be a little too much of a party vibe, esp. as we get there on a Sat night, so I am considering Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, as that seems like it would be a nice area for walking around in. Since we are there on a Sun., we would like to do a really nice brunch, and we like the look of the biltmore for that. Again, open to suggestions!

I am wondering ifRegent has a finite supply of seats, with those carriers, and maybe they are gone or close to it, so they are trying to steer Canadians to AC, Westjet?

I am actually quite happy with the 4 hr layover in Dallas, it just takes the GE off of worrying about delays, and not having time to make the next flight. Bit of a worrywart:eek:

Hence we are doing 2 nights pre cruise- should be able to enjoy a day in Miami.

I have been looking at Miami beach, but I think it will be a little too much of a party vibe, esp. as we get there on a Sat night, so I am considering Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, as that seems like it would be a nice area for walking around in. Since we are there on a Sun., we would like to do a really nice brunch, and we like the look of the biltmore for that. Again, open to suggestions!

Hyatt Coral Gables I can vouch for as we have stayed there and a very nice area to walk around. Now WestJet I would avoid, it is a low cost carrier and heard horror stories about their service and cancellations.

Definitely go to the Biltmore for brunch and if you play golf you can rent clubs if you want.

Another possibility is that Regent's Contract with United and AA, if they have them may not include Canada or may not include Vancouver at your flight time or as you said all seat gone. Lots of possibilities for that response. Those are possibilities that posters that state there is a Contract may not know. Don't know for sure as don't have insight to Regent Contracts but, seems a TA would not tell a customer that sort of thing unless that was told to her by Regent.

West Jet may have started out as a low cost carrier, but not any more! Theyre now 2nd largest carrier in Canada, with fares to match. Fares have risen dramatically. We use them multiple times per year between YYC & PHX as it’s now our only nonstop for most of the year (sure miss USAir!). In many ways theyre better than Air Canada, but not for Bus.Class overseas, as WJ doesn’t have that.

West Jet may have started out as a low cost carrier, but not any more! Theyre now 2nd largest carrier in Canada, with fares to match. Fares have risen dramatically. We use them multiple times per year between YYC & PHX as it’s now our only nonstop for most of the year (sure miss USAir!). In many ways theyre better than Air Canada, but not for Bus.Class overseas, as WJ doesn’t have that.

That’s the problem, they don’t offer biz class. You do have limited choices out of YVR but would never fly them long haul. We just can’t do coach anymore. YYC-PHX is not that long. Eight to ten hours is too long for us in a coach seat. We use miles for upgrades and well worth it.

Agreed! We wouldn’t dream of using them overseas, we refuse to fly coach for anything longer than 4 hours, and that’s even too long. Even on WJ we fly Plus (premium Econ). We used to get auto upgrades on USAir until AA messed that up, we can’t even get a nonstop on AA now. :(

FYI - even though I always book my cruises through a TA, when making air arrangements, I deal directly with Regent. My TA provides permission for me to speak to the air department so that everything can be done in one phone call. Because we are platinum, we are allowed to deviate without charge.

While I could provide my TA with my first, second and third choice, it is just easier for me to make the arrangements myself (and my TA has no problem with me doing this) and get it done without playing telephone tag or going back and forth with emails.

gnomie :)

That’s great, if it works for you, I don’t have a problem dealing with our TA, she’s amazing, knows Regent very well, and once I give her my choices, she always makes it happen, or gives me the options if not. We’ve also booked our own and taken the credit, so it just depends on what’s available and what you’re comfortable with. We’re starting with our TA and Regent for our next one. Hopeful they can get the carrier and routing we want. We’re not platinum, so pay a deviation, but we don’t care.

Regent will only deal with yourTA if that is what theTA wants. Unless the TA has Regent put into your file that you are "allowed" to talk with them, Regent generally will not talk with you. Sounds strange at first but there have been many times when both a TA and an uninformed client have been tweaking a reservation and the situation got messed up. This is what the agent gets paid for after all. However, many cruisers have the knowledge to handle all or part of a reservation (for example air travel) so if you want partial control just have the agent tell Regent. I would advise that you discuss with your agent what potions of the booking each would control so you are not working against each other. For example, if you change cabins your agent could change it back thinking a mistake was made if they don't know.

I'm speaking from a U.S. perspective so it could be different in any other country.

That was another thing my TA said Regent told her they would only deal with her. I wonder if it makes a difference since this is our first cruise with them. They might be willing to do more for clients with more loyalty built up?

Your agent misled you. We have used our TA to deal with flights but have also dealt directly with Regent once the TA told them it was ok. It is all about the TA releasing control to you by telling Regent to deal directly with you regarding flights.

I think you need a new TA. If you can't find a new one before you travel definitely ask other passengers for their recommendations once you are on board.

Glad you were able to find flights that work for you. As someone who also flys out of YVR it can be a challenge sometimes to find flights through Regent. We like flying business class with AC but can't often get those flights with Regent as they don't always have contracts with them on the routings we want.

Have a great cruise.

That was another thing my TA said Regent told her they would only deal with her. I wonder if it makes a difference since this is our first cruise with them. They might be willing to do more for clients with more loyalty built up?

We have had excellent service from our TA from the time we booked our first cruise with them several years ago. Plus, it sounds as if your TA gave you incorrect information which is something that should never be done (in my opinion).

As others have said, if your TA lets Regent know that you want to deal with them directly on flights, Regent will accommodate the request with no questions asked. From what you have posted - I would never book anything with your current TA again. It is a shame that you cannot change TA's at this point (well you could but your current TA would get the commission so it is likely best to keep things the way they are).

Yes I am just going to have to suck it up. I haven't used a TA in forever - well not completely true, I did all the research for our 2 Windstar cruises, and had a TA book them for us, as he did get us a small onboard credit, but I didn't use him this time as I knew he has no experience with Regent.

Unfortunately, neither does the current TA, and no I won't use her again, but as I assume I am at the point that it wouldn't help me to switch, I will stick with her for now.

Que sera:)