Price increases coming up for Regent and Oceania, per Frank Del Rio

RJ2002

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but looks like price increases are ahead again for both Regent and Oceania, per this Frank Del Rio address to travel agents recently.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Del-Rio-at-Signature-meeting

"Del Rio said Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises plan to raise prices on their 2019 sailings as of Oct. 1. Oceania will raise prices on 67% of all 2019 sailings, and Regent will raise prices on 92%, he said."

Thanks for the heads up. Regent does this every three months and the increases are generally minimal. It is still best to book as far in advance as possible to avoid possible quarterly increases.

Didn't realize they were raising prices every quarter... thanks.

Also, more comments on millennials... ;)

"Del Rio also urged agents to target millennials. Baby boomers are cruise lines' bread and butter today, but the influence of millennials will continue to grow."

Didn't realize they were raising prices every quarter... thanks.

Also, more comments on millennials... ;)

"Del Rio also urged agents to target millennials. Baby boomers are cruise lines' bread and butter today, but the influence of millennials will continue to grow."

As a proud baby boomer, I love hearing this. Trying to get gen-x and millennial passengers on Regent prematurely is likely not a wonderful idea. For this reason, I think that NCLH has a great array of ships for different levels of our life. Even this baby boomer was able to have fun on NCL but it would not be my thing on a regular basis.

Most Gen X's and Millennium's that I know who cruise want cruises with glitz and hoopla, like all the new mega liner are providing. I don't think many of them will ever be a fan of "Luxury" cruise ships. Recent ship building trends seem to support this ideal that bigger and bigger is better.

J

Most Gen X's and Millennium's that I know who cruise want cruises with glitz and hoopla, like all the new mega liner are providing. I don't think many of them will ever be a fan of "Luxury" cruise ships. Recent ship building trends seem to support this ideal that bigger and bigger is better.

J

I don’t agree with you as Ritz Carlton and other lines are coming out with luxury ships with less than 1000 pax’s even Crystal has cut metal on their new ultra yacht.

I started on Carnival many moons ago and graduated according to what we could afford to the luxury level and haven’t looked back. Yes, when we were young we wanted the party scene but moved on to true luxury with Crystal, Regent and Seabourn and the demographics are definitely skewing down to a younger whatever age you want to put on that to people who want all inclusive and luxury accommodations.

Less is more IMHO and we don’t have one foot in the grave yet. :eek:

And yes, younger folks are sailing luxury lines and loving the ambience.

If they are loving the ambiance so much then why do we read about so many attempts to change or challenge dress codes?

Face it, we are going to have to as time goes on we will all see many changes. The old guard and we are including ourselves will have to gradually accept change. Regents objective is to be profitable and cater to whatever generation. We don’t own the line. $$$ is what any luxury line wants. This is not our own private country club and even they have become very relaxed in dress code when a tie was required. No longer.

When the lines went to country club casual I remember people objecting wanting formal nights to be kept and semi formal nights and the line was going to lose guests. Guess what Regent did not lose many customers but embraced the change.

Face it, we are going to have to as time goes on we will all see many changes. The old guard and we are including ourselves will have to gradually accept change. Regents objective is to be profitable and cater to whatever generation. We don’t own the line. $$$ is what any luxury line wants. This is not our own private country club and even they have become very relaxed in dress code when a tie was required. No longerWhen the lines went to country club casual I remember people objecting wanting formal nights to be kept and semi formal nights and the line was going to lose guests. Guess what Regent did not lose many customers but embraced the change.

Not only do I agree with you, I love Country Club Casual and dislike formal Nights period. Just happy we can cruise in style and enjoy great service. And to be truthful a lot of guest who think they are dressing up-really aren't at all.

Not only do I agree with you, I love Country Club Casual and dislike formal Nights period. Just happy we can cruise in style and enjoy great service. And to be truthful a lot of guest who think they are dressing up-really aren't at all.

Yes we know that is true.and we have seen people on luxury cruises that complain about dress jeans but we would not even go into a grocery store the way some others show up for dinner on luxury lines but they are within the “Policy.” Regardless how they are dressed.

I’m sure you gents look great anywhere. Maybe one day our paths will cross.

As a proud baby boomer, I love hearing this. Trying to get gen-x and millennial passengers on Regent prematurely is likely not a wonderful idea. For this reason, I think that NCLH has a great array of ships for different levels of our life. Even this baby boomer was able to have fun on NCL but it would not be my thing on a regular basis.

J

I've been trying to decide how to respond to this thread. I've finally decided to call a spade a spade.

Stereotyping is annoying and not helpful when discussing any large group that by it's size is not going to be homogeneous. You wouldn't do it for black or gays -- so why are you doing it to Gen-Xers and millennials?

Indi -- A proud Gen-Xer, Regent Gold, who loves her suites and service -- and then is looking for cool places to go.

I've been trying to decide how to respond to this thread. I've finally decided to call a spade a spade.

Stereotyping is annoying and not helpful when discussing any large group that by it's size is not going to be homogeneous. You wouldn't do it for black or gays -- so why are you doing it to Gen-Xers and millennials?

Indi -- A proud Gen-Xer, Regent Gold, who loves her suites and service -- and then is looking for cool places to go.

Excellent post!

J

Obviously I agree with you and feel that people that want to try the new cruise lines that are coming out, I hope that people that are interested give them a try.

IndiTraveler - In my opinion, Baby Boomers are more or less in a class of their own. Being such an enormous percentage of the population at one time, we became used to elementary schools, jr. high schools, high schools, colleges and universities being built to accommodate us. As we approached retirement, it seemed that the government started freaking out and began raising the age to receive benefits.

I have read post for years from people saying that Regent needs to market to a younger demographic. While that is true for the long haul, it was important that they finally, publicly recognized that we are their "bread and butter". Just because this is true does not lessen the importance of Regent cruisers that are not Baby Boomers. As one poster said, television shows, etc. are targeting a much younger demographic and we just accept that it is what it is. In this case, as has been said, Baby Boomers have the money and time to sail on luxury cruise lines. This does not mean that other generations don't and it isn't a put-down to any other group of people.

Each generation lives through their own "stuff" which makes them have more in common with each other in some ways. No - we are not all homogeneous but we certainly have certain things in common and have lived through things which thankfully generations after us have not had to endure.

I don't like stereotyping either but in terms of generations, there are so many commonalities (regardless of race, sexual orientation, etc.).

Rick - please don't start the dress code thing again. Most of us voted for the current dress code (the former President of Regent did a poll prior to the dress code being launched.) Enough is enough already! Thank you!

Good article.

In the end, a lot of this has to do with supply and demand. Although there is a lot of capacity out there demand is high and the luxury market has benefited from the increased demand associated with the rise in the stock market and more baby boomers retiring with more time and money available.

History shows that a recession will come (whether that is in months or a year(s) from now but that is part of the cycle.

When demand falls prices will either stay flat or fall and as is the case right now with higher demand (and inflation out there) prices will rise.

Of course it is logical for agents to target millennials. because they are the future but that is clearly longer term for the luxury lines although certainly an attraction for the NCL product at all different levels from the high end suites to the entry level rooms. And those who are at the higher end age of the age group (35 and above) are certainly a target group.

I wonder why didn't he mention Generation X though? They are between ages 39 and 53. These folks already booking luxury cruises and a big target in the coming years unless he is grouping them with Baby Boomers.

Keith

Good article.

I wonder why didn't he mention Generation X though? They are between ages 39 and 53. These folks already booking luxury cruises and a big target in the coming years unless he is grouping them with Baby Boomers.

Keith

Hi Keith - great post. I wonder if Generation X is not mentioned because that age group (the majority - not all) are still working and may not have the time to cruise on the longer itineraries? Also, the lower end of Generation X are likely still raising their families and, in fact, may have teenagers that may be more difficult to please in terms of putting them on a luxury cruise line with few other teens to interact with.

There are always exceptions - some young people enjoy Regent but it is likely that the majority of them would prefer a different level of cruising.

Note: Some luxury lines are still great for families during the summer and during the holidays.

Jackie

Back to the matter of Regent's fare increases, one of the reasons might be the increased cost of their "included air". If this is part of the reason, I hope they start giving bigger discounts to those of us who book our own air.

Unfortunately, the trend seems to be that Regent I giving less of an air credit than they gave in the past.