Hurricane Florence and our Navigator Regent cruise

geegeecruiser

Our trip started in Amsterdam to New York, and We are currently heading to Bermuda having left the Azores 2 days ago. Weather has been perfect and glassy seas....until tonight when it’s obvious we are feeling ocean disturbance from hurricane Florence which apparently is about 400 nautical miles south and west of us. The captain has assured us that we will be fine getting to Bermuda (although rain will likely be the prediction). No one knows what to expect as we sail to New York a few days later. We’re just happy not to be on the Princess Cruise which has had to divert entirely from their itinerary and are heading north!

Navigator is handling well and the stabilizers are doing their job.....and we are on the 11th floor forward! We booked late and took last Penthouse suite which has been great. We have always preferred lower deck midship, but this has not been a problem to our surprise. A gentle rocking but nothing too bad.

A friend of mine and one of your fellow passengers onboard is an amateur weather man. He says that he does not see much happening as far as significant waves. But there may be a lot of rain nearer to NYC.

I hope the ship docks in downtown Hamilton and not out at the "dockyards."

J

A friend of mine and one of your fellow passengers onboard is an amateur weather man. He says that he does not see much happening as far as significant waves. But there may be a lot of rain nearer to NYC.

I hope the ship docks in downtown Hamilton and not out at the "dockyards."

J

Well satellites reported and eighty foot wave according to the Weather Channel. Pretty scary and I am a survivor of Andrew.

Was on Navigator in 2005 leaving NYC for Panama Canal. We raced into the Atlantic out of the way of Rita and Wilma. Seas were crazy!!! Supplies left on the dock! Oh no, coffee supplies running low.

In the end, no one hurt. Not much damage. A wild wild ride for several days.

Good luck! Keep your balcony door shut. Have a great adventure!!!

Our trip started in Amsterdam to New York, and We are currently heading to Bermuda having left the Azores 2 days ago. Weather has been perfect and glassy seas....until tonight when it’s obvious we are feeling ocean disturbance from hurricane Florence which apparently is about 400 nautical miles south and west of us. The captain has assured us that we will be fine getting to Bermuda (although rain will likely be the prediction). No one knows what to expect as we sail to New York a few days later. We’re just happy not to be on the Princess Cruise which has had to divert entirely from their itinerary and are heading north!

Navigator is handling well and the stabilizers are doing their job.....and we are on the 11th floor forward! We booked late and took last Penthouse suite which has been great. We have always preferred lower deck midship, but this has not been a problem to our surprise. A gentle rocking but nothing too bad.

The Captain may have to take the long way around getting to New York but they always take the safest possible route. In the past, when it is determined that the seas are simply too rough, the ship will stay in port until it is safe to leave.

We did the Navigator NY to Bermuda 3 years in a row and it can be a little rough at times in normal weather. I can't recall the name of the med but if you go to reception they have prepacked tablets to give out and they work very well if you are sensitive to the seas. They told us that it's the same stuff that the crew takes and is very mild. We have never had an issue.

I recommend that you pack Bonine or Sturgeon (may be misspelled) since we have no idea what they give you on the ship (it will likely be fine and work but could put you to sleep which isn't exactly what most people want).

We have experienced very rough seas on the Navigator while we were on Deck 11 (the only time my DH became seasick). Going downstairs to a lower and more mid-ship area helped quite a bit. If it were any worse, we likely would have stayed downstairs all night.

I recommend that you pack Bonine or Sturgeon (may be misspelled) since we have no idea what they give you on the ship (it will likely be fine and work but could put you to sleep which isn't exactly what most people want).

Actually, as I just said, the tablet is very mild and I hardly think that having the crew fall asleep would be the way to go.

Actually, as I just said, the tablet is very mild and I hardly think that having the crew fall asleep would be the way to go.

So true, Plus the TS is already on the ship in the middle of the Atlantic.

So true, Plus the TS is already on the ship in the middle of the Atlantic.

Good point - I was making the suggestion for others reading this thread. You are the best person on this board to ask about the Navigator in rough seas. I've read for two years in a row how many passengers were sick when sailing to Hawaii on the Navigator. Is there a place on the ship that may be more comfortable than other places if/when the seas are very rough?

I just looked at the itinerary and the ship will not be leaving Bermuda until Monday. Reports have the hurricane hitting tomorrow and stalling for a while. Hoping that it will be over by the time the ship nears the U.S.

Yes. on the 2018 WC we were on deck six about half the way forward. We are blessed in that we usually are not bothered by rough seas, but those are the suites with the smoothest ride.

The seas on the way to Hawaii can be very rough...we have done this sailing three times now on the HAL Amsterdam (Fall), the Queen Elizabeth (Spring) and most recently the Navigator,(Spring) the baby of the group. The sea has been a "cookie tosser" all three times!!!

The Navigator was the smallest ship by far. It may have been worst on the 2017WC. But we did have green water over our balcony this spring several times, even got a cool picture. To me the smoothest place is deck 5 in the dinning room. It is open during the day even when the doors are closed...that is where the board games are set up. Take a book and go read by one of the windows for a while if you are getting sick...it helps to look out at the horizon also. The other public area that is smooth is the Navigator lounge and coffee area on deck 6.

Well satellites reported and eighty foot wave according to the Weather Channel. Pretty scary and I am a survivor of Andrew.

Eighty Feet!!!! Maybe right in the eye wall.

Waves right now in the north Atlantic between Bermuda and NYC are showing 5 to 12 ft (2-4 meters) max. And the Hurricane is moving away from that route traveling south and west. Thirty-six hours from now it will be over land an extra-tropical.

You can get real time wave height and directions form Oceanweather.com This is the same Company that supplies the ships with their forecasts.

Here is the most current map.

J

WAVE000.GIF

Eighty Feet!!!! Maybe right in the eye wall.

Waves right now in the north Atlantic between Bermuda and NYC are showing 5 to 12 ft (2-4 meters) max. And the Hurricane is moving away from that route traveling south and west. Thirty-six hours from now it will be over land an extra-tropical.

You can get real time wave height and directions form Oceanweather.com This is the same Company that supplies the ships with their forecasts.

Here is the most current map.

J

WAVE000.GIF

Nifty new data source (to me). Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

As mentioned earlier, you don't know the side effects of what you are blindly taking. Kwaj girl - thank you for posting the name of the medication that Regent hands out. I looked up the side effects (all of them have side effects but some are worse than others) and here they are:

Meclizine Side Effects. Severity: Major. You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking meclizine:

Cough

difficulty swallowing

dizziness

drowsiness

fast heartbeat

hives

itching

puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue

We have also used "the patch" as it is often referred to. They seem to have the most serious side effects. The one thing with zero side effects is an electronic band. While not inexpensive, my DH has reused his for years - only having to replace the battery and conductivity gel. While it is likely too late for those aboard the Navigator (unless they are available in Bermuda), it is something that I feel that anyone with seasickness issues should have with them ....... just in case.

I'm having difficulty linking the page on the Amazon website -- the product is the Reliefband 1.5 Motion Sickness Band Bundle with 6 extra gel tubes. The cost for the package is $129.99.

Edited by Travelcat2

Meclizine is sold OTC as brand name Bonine. I have used it for years. Works well but you need to take it before you start rocking and rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes Bonine, Dramamine, SeaLegs and a few other all have the same compound.

If you read the side effects of every drug out there no-one would take any med.

Yes Bonine, Dramamine, SeaLegs and a few other all have the same compound.

If you read the side effects of every drug out there no-one would take any med.

I do not believe that Bonine (meclizine) is the same compound as Dramamine. Dramamine uses the same drug as Benadryl. Bonine is supposed to be basically non-drowsy (although individuals here seem to beg to differ.) Dramamine will definitely put you to sleep, at least in my experience.

I do not believe that Bonine (meclizine) is the same compound as Dramamine. Dramamine uses the same drug as Benadryl. Bonine is supposed to be basically non-drowsy (although individuals here seem to beg to differ.) Dramamine will definitely put you to sleep, at least in my experience.

Dramamine II is meclizine and is considered the non-drowsy Dramamine. The original Dramamine indeed makes one sleepy.