TAP PORTUGAL FLIGHTS - thoughts on flights - reviews

NJ&Ozzie

Hi,

Thinking of booking TAP Portugal for a Rome/Toronto flight in May. Price is good but not sure about them. Hearing conflicting stories.

Anyone flown on TP? Would appreciate experiences. eg. Do they charge for baggage on each segment of flight or just one charge.

Thanks,

NJ

Hi,

Thinking of booking TAP Portugal for a Rome/Toronto flight in May. Price is good but not sure about them. Hearing conflicting stories.

Anyone flown on TP? Would appreciate experiences. eg. Do they charge for baggage on each segment of flight or just one charge.

Thanks,

NJ

Hi.

Since I live in Portugal I use TAP fairly regularly and to be honest they get a lot of rather undeserved criticism. They are perhaps not the best airline I have ever flown with but they are certainly not the worst. One of the things that tends to come back to bite them is their customer service on the ground, which could do to be improved; for example they tend not to be very forthcoming in providing passengers with information in the case of delays.

I flew with them very recently round trip from our local airport (Faro) via Lisbon to Miami and back for a cruise on Serenade of the Seas.

They have very recently restructured their baggage rules in line with their new fare structures and for ALL but the very cheapest fare tier, called "TAP Discount", a minimum of one 23-kg checked bag is included in the fare. It may be more than that depending on your fare tier. If you want to add extra bags the cost is for the whole journey if all segments are operated by TAP. If any of the segments are operated by a partner airline (TAP belongs to Star Alliance) then additional baggage charges may apply to that segment.

Another thing to be aware of is that the cheaper fare tiers do not allow you to choose your seat unless you pay extra; your seat will be allocated on check-in. (You can usually check in online from between 24 and 36 hours before your flight, depending on the airports involved in your journey.) At that time, if you are not happy with your seat assignments, you can pay to choose from the remaining seats available. On our recent flight, we were allocated an aisle and a middle seat in the centre section of four seats for our outbound flight, so we were ok with that. On the way back, however, they assigned us to two middle seats in the centre section, so we paid $30 to switch one of them to the aisle seat. If you want a seat with extra leg room or like a specific area on the aircraft, it may well be worth biting the bullet and paying for them immediately when you book your flight. I believe the more expensive fare tiers include a free choose-your-seat option, but I am not 100% sure.

Additionally, on all TAP-operated flights (with the exception of the local feeder flights like the one I use to get from Faro to Lisbon), some sort of food is included in your fare. On a westbound transatlantic flight you will typically be given lunch and a snack shortly before landing. The food is supposedly very good in Business Class; in economy, it can be hit or miss. On our recent round trip, it was quite decent on the outbound leg from Lisbon to Miami but left a lot to be desired on the return leg.

And to finish, one other thing to bear in mind is that TAP are currently upgrading their long-haul aircraft, especially with regards to in-flight entertainment. Currently, not all of their long-haul aircraft have seat power to charge electronic devices. This was the case on our recent flights and on the return flight the young lady next to us was quite upset about it because the only entertainment she had with her for the flight was her mobile phone, which was on very low battery. If this is likely to be an issue for you, you would be well-advised to bring along a power bank just in case.

I think that pretty much covers it but if there is anything else you would like to ask I will be happy to try and answer.

Hi.

Since I live in Portugal I use TAP fairly regularly and to be honest they get a lot of rather undeserved criticism. They are perhaps not the best airline I have ever flown with but they are certainly not the worst. One of the things that tends to come back to bite them is their customer service on the ground, which could do to be improved; for example they tend not to be very forthcoming in providing passengers with information in the case of delays.

I flew with them very recently round trip from our local airport (Faro) via Lisbon to Miami and back for a cruise on Serenade of the Seas.

They have very recently restructured their baggage rules in line with their new fare structures and for ALL but the very cheapest fare tier, called "TAP Discount", a minimum of one 23-kg checked bag is included in the fare. It may be more than that depending on your fare tier. If you want to add extra bags the cost is for the whole journey if all segments are operated by TAP. If any of the segments are operated by a partner airline (TAP belongs to Star Alliance) then additional baggage charges may apply to that segment.

Another thing to be aware of is that the cheaper fare tiers do not allow you to choose your seat unless you pay extra; your seat will be allocated on check-in. (You can usually check in online from between 24 and 36 hours before your flight, depending on the airports involved in your journey.) At that time, if you are not happy with your seat assignments, you can pay to choose from the remaining seats available. On our recent flight, we were allocated an aisle and a middle seat in the centre section of four seats for our outbound flight, so we were ok with that. On the way back, however, they assigned us to two middle seats in the centre section, so we paid $30 to switch one of them to the aisle seat. If you want a seat with extra leg room or like a specific area on the aircraft, it may well be worth biting the bullet and paying for them immediately when you book your flight. I believe the more expensive fare tiers include a free choose-your-seat option, but I am not 100% sure.

Additionally, on all TAP-operated flights (with the exception of the local feeder flights like the one I use to get from Faro to Lisbon), some sort of food is included in your fare. On a westbound transatlantic flight you will typically be given lunch and a snack shortly before landing. The food is supposedly very good in Business Class; in economy, it can be hit or miss. On our recent round trip, it was quite decent on the outbound leg from Lisbon to Miami but left a lot to be desired on the return leg.

And to finish, one other thing to bear in mind is that TAP are currently upgrading their long-haul aircraft, especially with regards to in-flight entertainment. Currently, not all of their long-haul aircraft have seat power to charge electronic devices. This was the case on our recent flights and on the return flight the young lady next to us was quite upset about it because the only entertainment she had with her for the flight was her mobile phone, which was on very low battery. If this is likely to be an issue for you, you would be well-advised to bring along a power bank just in case.

I think that pretty much covers it but if there is anything else you would like to ask I will be happy to try and answer.

Wow - thank you for the comprehensive review. Just what I was looking for. I had heard you paid luggage fees for each segment but as you explained not if TAP is doing both segments. Good. So heard the older planes do not have screens on the seat backs but rather drop down screens located in spots through the plane? We are looking to book for our flight May 20 from FCO to Toronto - maybe by then the older planes will be upgraded?

We flew Ryanair once - that was an experience. wondered why people lined up over three hours before the flights. Realized it was to jockey for the good seats on flight. It was like a cattle call getting on the plane.

Overall, TAP does not sound too bad. Would prefer Delta for our airmiles but the price is right on TAP!!

Thanks again, appreciate your taking the time.

NJ

You're very welcome. :)

Depending on the aircraft used for the flight some have touch-screens, some have seat-back screens operated with a remote control (this is what we had on our flights to and from Miami) and some still have the drop-down screens. I'm afraid I don't know how far on they are with their improvement schedule. Since the State is the majority shareholder they tend to be a bit slow.

On Ryanair I ALWAYS pay to choose my seat when I book. Can't handle the cattle stampede! :')

Wow - thank you for the comprehensive review. Just what I was looking for. I had heard you paid luggage fees for each segment but as you explained not if TAP is doing both segments. Good. So heard the older planes do not have screens on the seat backs but rather drop down screens located in spots through the plane? We are looking to book for our flight May 20 from FCO to Toronto - maybe by then the older planes will be upgraded?

We flew Ryanair once - that was an experience. wondered why people lined up over three hours before the flights. Realized it was to jockey for the good seats on flight. It was like a cattle call getting on the plane.

Overall, TAP does not sound too bad. Would prefer Delta for our airmiles but the price is right on TAP!!

Thanks again, appreciate your taking the time.

NJ

TAP does asigned seating.

With almost all airlines if your connection is on the same ticket the general principle is you pay the airline you checkin for baggage based on their rules, unless its connected to an overseas flight, where the rules for the overseas segment wins out.

TAP is a star alliance member airline. So if you collect miles and the fare your on earns miles, you can have it credited to any of the Star alliance airlines acount, e.g. United.

TAP does asigned seating.

With almost all airlines if your connection is on the same ticket the general principle is you pay the airline you checkin for baggage based on their rules, unless its connected to an overseas flight, where the rules for the overseas segment wins out.

TAP is a star alliance member airline. So if you collect miles and the fare your on earns miles, you can have it credited to any of the Star alliance airlines acount, e.g. United.

Thanks again for the great information. Looks like we will try TAP!! And will post a review upon return.

Happy New Year,

NJ