Resources in Alaska for Disabled Cruisers

Splinter

Era (phone 800-843-1947, website eraflightseeing.com) has a lift with a capacity of 250-lb. But the person I spoke to cautioned me that the lift stays at their base, so a handicapped person would have to stay in the copter rather than get out and walk around on the glacier.

BTW, TravelJuneau.com is VERY knowledgable and helpful. I saw a single reference somewhere to a company that had a lift, the poster wasn't sure of the name but thought it was something like Era. With that information, the TravelJuneau phone rep was able to give me the phone # and website and tell me a little about the company. TravelJuneau is part of the Chamber of Commerce, I think, so has no mandate to push any particular company.

Thanks. I have been talking to Coastal Helicopters and they gave the same scenario about getting onto the glacier. I will check with ERA too.

> Coastal only charges $290 for the Glacier Landing

Oh my. Era starts at $750. I wonder if I could wheedle DH into spending the $290.

Actually ERA has one for $420, still a big difference. I think ERA may be charging more because they may be supplying tours to the ships and have to keep them in line with that pricing. Coastal does not.

http://www.eraflightseeing.com/content/e1485/e1486/e1487/index_eng.html

Edited by Tinknock50

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Coastal only charges $290 for the Glacier Landing.

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/tours/icefield-excursion/

I have actually flown with them 3 times before and thought they were great but never with a handicap persons as I will next June.

Coastal was unable to provide wheelchair lift transportation to the heliport. So we had to go with a more expensive Holland America tour. It was fantastic! Finally got my handicapped friend to a glacier landing!