Club HAL on Amsterdam Grand Voyage?

CI66774

Sounds "Grand", but do check your state's requirements for homeschooling. Your don't want to get arrested upon return for abetting truancy. If you look at the deck plan of the Amsterdam, Club HAL is shown on the Sports Deck (9), but whether it's staffed on a World Voyage would be a question I'd pose to Ship's Services 1‐800‐541‐1576.

Sounds "Grand", but do check your state's requirements for homeschooling. Your don't want to get arrested upon return for abetting truancy. If you look at the deck plan of the Amsterdam, Club HAL is shown on the Sports Deck (9), but whether it's staffed on a World Voyage would be a question I'd pose to Ship's Services 1‐800‐541‐1576.

Got all of the state requirements covered. Thanks!

Thinking of taking my daughter (will be 10 years old) on a World Voyage (will take her out of school and "road" school her during this time). Is Club HAL open on the Amsterdam during the World Voyage? Thanks so much!!

Yes, it is when there are kids on board; even when there were no pax kids, it was open for the shorex mngr's son from South Africa and the two sons of the executive chef from the Czech Republic who learned to speak English on that voyage

If your DD is happy being by herself (or perhaps with 1 or 2 other young children) she will have a good time. The last time we did a Grand Voyage was on the Prinsendam where the youngest aboard (other then some of the crew) was a lovely 27 year old lady accompanying her Grandmother. But you should contact HAL and ask for verification that they will even have a children's program. One recent poster mentioned that their children's program (on the Prinsendam) was canceled for lack of children. Would it be a wonderful experience. Perhaps...if she enjoys being on a ship full of Grand Parents, Great Grand Parents and even some Great Great Grandparents then its cool.. If you are bringing a tutor to keep her up with schoolwork...than it might make some sense. But being married to a retired Elementary School Teacher....her quick comment is "that child should be in school."

Hank

P.S. Ok, we are ready to be flamed.

Edited by Hlitner

The cruise will be a great adventure & learning experience for your daughter. She will learn, see & experience more then if she went to school. Years from now she will remember all the things she saw & did more then anything she would of done at school. We took our 7 year old great grand daughter on a three week New Years cruise last year & she wants to know when we're going again. She loved Club HAL, they were really good although I'm sure there will not be as many kids on this one. Enjoy

Allan

Thank you all for your replies. My daughter has been on two 26-day Transatlantic cruises with me (to Baltics and to British Isles) (and seven cruises in total) and loved them. She enjoys interacting with more mature and wiser passengers (I'm an older adoptive mom). I've looked at the 2019 voyage but there aren't very many desirable cabins left on the Amsterdam. Perhaps 2020, if the itinerary continues to visit Petra, etc. Thanks again for your great responses!

If your DD is happy being by herself (or perhaps with 1 or 2 other young children) she will have a good time. The last time we did a Grand Voyage was on the Prinsendam where the youngest aboard (other then some of the crew) was a lovely 27 year old lady accompanying her Grandmother. But you should contact HAL and ask for verification that they will even have a children's program. One recent poster mentioned that their children's program (on the Prinsendam) was canceled for lack of children. Would it be a wonderful experience. Perhaps...if she enjoys being on a ship full of Grand Parents, Great Grand Parents and even some Great Great Grandparents then its cool.. If you are bringing a tutor to keep her up with schoolwork...than it might make some sense. But being married to a retired Elementary School Teacher....her quick comment is "that child should be in school."

Hank

P.S. Ok, we are ready to be flamed.

No flames for you today! I understand the conventional thinking but I only would be "road" schooling her for three-ish months. She's in gifted and talented classes already and is about two grades ahead in several subjects. I think the cultural experience of seeing the world (and her native China) would compensate for the temporary dearth of school room activities. I'm getting older and have the flexibility in my work schedule for the next couple of years. Time is of the essence, so to speak. :D

There are a minimum of six children onboard right now (that is how many I have seen). I know at least three are the children of officers. The other afternoon I saw a group of kids walking around with a HAL employee (maybe two but I only saw the one name tag) and I believe they were Club HAL doing an activity together.

I think ten would be a great age if you are going to take her instead of doing it later because of all the activities in high school she probably wouldn't want to miss.

There are a minimum of six children onboard right now (that is how many I have seen). I know at least three are the children of officers. The other afternoon I saw a group of kids walking around with a HAL employee (maybe two but I only saw the one name tag) and I believe they were Club HAL doing an activity together.

I think ten would be a great age if you are going to take her instead of doing it later because of all the activities in high school she probably wouldn't want to miss.

My thoughts exactly. Before long she won't even want to be seen with me!!! Glad to hear the Club is open on your world cruise. Thanks for the response and hope you're having a wonderful time on your cruise!

Pulled our son out of grade 1 for 3 weeks in November. Did a cruise to Papua New Guinea and The Solomons. He fund raised and we donated a truckload of school supplies and sporting goods to an underfunded primary school in PNG.

Nothing like reality to teach kids perspective. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thirteen years ago we did a segment of the QE2 world cruise. There was a young couple on board with their 6 and 8 year old kids. They were schooling on board as well. I fully support this.

There's no need for a tutor. People who aren't teachers home school their children all the time. What a great learning experience for your daughter. Nothing like hands on learning. I would have given my right arm when I was your daughter's age to have an opportunity like this. Ignore the naysayers and go for it!

Roz