Viking Silver Spirits Premium Package

geta911

I tried unsuccessfully to get some guidelines from Viking on this package. Perhaps someone can help me with some questions that I have. Can I share my "premium" wine with other dinner companions? Can I take a bottle of wine to me stateroom? Does this package include liqueurs? Do the longships have room service? Finally, has anyone had any "issues" with the Silver Spirits Premium Package or it's use onboard? Thank you.:)

The spirits package averages about $30 p/p per day. If you're travelling as a couple, both must purchase. There are some premium brands of liquor that are not part of the package but I'm not sure which ones. You can bring alcohol on the ship and share it with anyone.

Not sure what you mean by "issues" with the package.

Longship is very relaxed about alcohol brought on board.

Saw many bring their own cocktails into lounge for the pre-dinner talk.

Great hot chocolate to add a little Bailey's to for those chilly times on the sundeck :).

We found that the house wines and beers were fine and did not need to order better ones at meals.

The quality of the house wines is very subjective. Many on our recent Heimdahl cruise considered it phlonk and of very poor quality. By mid week, of the cruise, a large portion of the dining tables had 1-4 bottles of wine brought in to better enjoy with the meals. Viking has no corkage fees and is totally receptive to this. Bringing one's own wine in mostly eliminated the need for the beverage package. We could order beers, cocktails, and the after dinner drinks, by the glass, typically without exceeding the daily cost of the package. That's not to say that the cost of the bottles of wine we were consuming were below the cost of the package, but that's a different issue.

We have taken two Viking river cruises, the Rhein Getaway in December 2013 and the Portraits of Southern France in May 2014. We purchased the Silver Spirit Package for both trips, and found it well worth the money. Here is my comments about it on the review I wrote for our Rhein Getaway cruise:

We decided to buy the Silver Spirits package right after we booked the cruise, which cost $210 US each, and was well worth it. During meals, beer and wine do flow. You can get plenty of each while you are eating. However, outside of meals, you pay for your drinks, including soft drinks. In looking at the drink menu, for example, Grey Goose vodka ran 7.50 Euros per drink or about $10.50 US. I needed to drink about 20 drinks over the course of the cruise to come out even on the package, which I think I did the first night. The part of the package I wasn't sure about was that anything you wanted to drink, any brand, any amount was included. I asked Ceasar (Viking Representative that we book our trips through) specifically about that and he assured me it was. He was right, anything you wanted at any time, in any quantity was available. It was nice to just order a drink and have it served with no "paperwork". Like most cruises, if you didn't have the package you had to sign a tab for your drinks each time you ordered one. There was also a wine list, different than what was served with meals, that you could order and take to dinner with you. We drank a very good red wine from the Czech Republic that was excellent. The beer was also excellent, as it was all across Europe. When the bartenders and waiters figured out that I like beer, they started serving me in a bigger glass. Very perceptive, those boys and girls. I would highly recommend buying the package. It is well worth the money. I'm not sure, but I think you can buy it on board before the ship sales. You can ask about that if you are interested in purchasing it.

As far as some of your specific questions go, "Can I share my "premium" wine with other dinner companions? I think that is the one question that is difficult to answer. On both cruises we went on, we ended up hanging out with 2 other couples each time, neither of which had bought the package. We did offer them the wine that we chose through the package, but it seemed like the servers in the restaurant were ok with it most of the time, but sometimes it seemed like it was a problem. Nobody ever said anything, just a feeling I had. It was only an issue in the restaurant as in the lounge, everybody is really on their own. Wish I could be more specific. The answer is probably they would prefer you don't, but as long as you are not making a big production out of it or being obnoxious about it, it is ok. Can I take a bottle of wine to me stateroom? Yes, and anywhere else you like. Very relaxed drinking policy on board. Very nice attitude makes these cruises the best. Does this package include liqueurs? Yes, according to the bar menu. Go here for a copy of it: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/manage-my-trip/enhance-my-trip.html Do the longships have room service? No room service on the two cruises we went on. Finally, has anyone had any "issues" with the Silver Spirits Premium Package or it's use onboard?" Please read my review above. I think it is money well spent and it worked out well for us both times.

We will be taking the China cruise next May and we have included the package again for that one.

I think that rrgator has given you the information you need. The package runs about $30/day, drinks are typically €4.50 or €5.00, or about $8.00 each (although premium liquors like Grey Goose are more). So if you and your spouse are going to have 4 drinks each per day, then the package pays off. If it's less than that, it doesn't. The wild card is how particular about wine.

FuelScience

If you still have doubts/questions about the package, you can until you board to purchase it. You could talk to the miatre'd, ask what wines will be served free with dinner and also look at the bar/wine menu to get an idea of what's available.

We just returned from the Bordeaux cruise - fabulous - and the included wine at dinner changed each day. But they also told us that our cruise was the only one with a sommelier, Franck, who was wonderful.

When we boarded there was a folder in our room with cruise info and it included the package to buy plus others have said they purchased it on board.

We decided not to purchase the package and were very happy with the poured wine plus 2 evenings the guys brought their own bottles to dinner.

But it all comes down to which cruise plus what you like to drink!

Have a great cruise!!

If you still have doubts/questions about the package, you can until you board to purchase it. You could talk to the miatre'd, ask what wines will be served free with dinner and also look at the bar/wine menu to get an idea of what's available.

We just returned from the Bordeaux cruise - fabulous - and the included wine at dinner changed each day. But they also told us that our cruise was the only one with a sommelier, Franck, who was wonderful.

When we boarded there was a folder in our room with cruise info and it included the package to buy plus others have said they purchased it on board.

We decided not to purchase the package and were very happy with the poured wine plus 2 evenings the guys brought their own bottles to dinner.

But it all comes down to which cruise plus what you like to drink!

Have a great cruise!!

I have been following this thread as we will be on Viking Freya 12/14 Christmas market cruise. It is our first river cruise.

I have been looking at the wine package.

We enjoy a glass of wine before dinner either in our room somewhere on the ship. Good to know we can bring our own wine on board. Can we drink our own bottle in other places on the ship?

Also, I have heard that the Chrismas markets offer mullied wine and other goodies to purchase while browsing the markets. Is that correct? ( I noticed you did a Christmas market cruise last year) Not sure how much more we need if we enjoy a few drinks at the market!! :D

Any information you can give on the markets would be appreciated or if you can direct me to that information. I know this thread is for the wine package. Don't mean to get off track.

Thanks,

Mary

highland Cruiser ~ what CM cruise are you taking? We were on the Rhine River and just loved the cruise!! But I'm sure the Danube would be much the same as to mulled wine at the markets!! Yes, there's plenty available, usually in nice cups/glasses/mugs that you can buy to take home!!!

Viking pours their wine very generously - hint: at desert-time get a full glass and ten just take it up to the lounge or to your room - no problem!! Also there's no problem or "attitude" if you bring a bottle to dinner, or I guess even lunch! They'll open it for you and you can enjoy.

I'd be happy to give you info on the CMS but try this site. If you're lucky maybe you'll even find someone on your cruise!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1795467

• 3 years later...