Carnival: Heavy Duty scooter in standard room?

bunchesofun

Hi,

I'm thinking we're good with this as Special Needs at Sea says the scooter needs 21" clearance, and Carnival sent me info saying standard cabins are (apx)22" wide.

Ā 

Has anyone rented the heavy duty scooter from Special Needs at Sea and used it with a standard cabin?

Ā 

We have two cabins who now need mobility scooters who didn't when we booked originally. That plus one cabin has 4 people and don't see any accessible cabins for 4. Plus we are Easy Saver, so no changes without big penalties. :(

Ā 

So if anyone has successfully used the Heavy Duty scooter in a standard room I'd be grateful if you would reply. Thanks!

Ā 

Hi

I travel with a heavy duty scooter, mostly when I rent it is a pride maxima, you can call special needs at sea and ask them what model do they use for their heavy duty rentals. Carnival cruise line accessible rooms are tight for a heavy duty scooter with 2 people there has been several occasions in accessible cabins I have to come in and back straight out no turn around room. Also on many cruises I have to ask steward to take furniture out. I know you said you booked on a early saver but the thing is your circumstances and health has changed. speak with the guest access desk for carnival to see if they have any modified cabins, explain your situation some times they can help you with the rate. Speaking from experience with real heavy duty scooters there is no way that's going to fit in standard doorways . Also the scooter company usually asks you if you have accessible cabin when you request hd scooter. I usually do 2-3 carnival cruises a year. You never want to take a chance with someone who has very limited mobility issues, it could ruin your vacation. they are the best ones to ask guest access

• 7 months later...
I hope I'm not sounding like a 'know-it-all' by giving so many tips. But I just thought of another one. When entering an empty elevator I try to pull straight in the middle. People can then fill in on both sides. When leaving the elevator I let everyone else off first then slowly back straight out.

Ā 

Ā 

On a ship is the one time I prefer to back in and drive out. I hate ow close you are to the stair well.

I am intrigued with the possibility of "valet parking" for my Travelscoot. There are a few cruises we want to book but there are no accessible cabins available and I am worried there is not enough room to bring it in the cabin and know I won't park it in the hallway.

Ā 

Does anyone have experience with having valet parking for overnight on NCL? If someone would take it and charge it overnight and bring it back in the morning that would be perfect. Or my husband could bring it to them and go get it in the a.m.? Anyone done that and if so, which ship?

I think we are in trouble,after reading this thread. šŸ˜‚ We are booked into Carnival Triumph inside cabin 4A(gift from my "sister's" son!) But we also need 2 scooters to even begin to get around the ship. TA is still trying to obtain accessible cabin for bathroom needs. Since we board in 18 days, not sure it will happen.

From my reading, how will we ever fit 2 of the scooters in the room?

Also, if we can't get accessible cabin, can we still request a shower stool?

My only cruise was several years ago on RC in a mini suite balcony and space was not a problem! First cruise for my sweet bff.. Does anyone have advise for our delimma,please?

Ā 

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I think we are in trouble,after reading this thread. šŸ˜‚ We are booked into Carnival Triumph inside cabin 4A(gift from my "sister's" son!) But we also need 2 scooters to even begin to get around the ship. TA is still trying to obtain accessible cabin for bathroom needs. Since we board in 18 days, not sure it will happen.

From my reading, how will we ever fit 2 of the scooters in the room?

Also, if we can't get accessible cabin, can we still request a shower stool?

My only cruise was several years ago on RC in a mini suite balcony and space was not a problem! First cruise for my sweet bff.. Does anyone have advise for our delimma,please?

Ā 

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Am I correct that a 4A is an interior? I really don't think you will be able to fit two scooters in there unless you tear them down every time you bring them in. That "might" work. We had one scooter in a 4K which is the same size as a balcony room and there is no way we could have fit a second scooter inside.

Yes you can talk to the special needs department and request a shower stool.

Hope this helps.

I have sailed Carnival Triumph and there's no way two scooters will fit in a tiny inside cabin. And even if you try, you will have massive trouble getting around in the cabin and accessing the bathroom. I'm not sure what you're going to do, but I just can't see how you will be able to do this cruise unless one of you can use one of the very small, folding travel scooters like a Luggie.