Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

With the pancakes and sausages I'd go for a nice frozen dry cider but for anything with maple syrup wouldn't you choose something to complement rather than ape and compete with the sweetness?

If you wanted sweetness then I'd go for an Austrian eiswein if possible as they are difficult to get the best ones outside of Austria. I think I'd prefer something tart and bone dry - flinty even - and extremely cold and I would speak up for a British wine called Chapel Down Flint Dry. :)

Wine of England.Chapel Down Flint Dry is an Aromatic white wine with aromas of green apple, citrus fruits and freshly cut grass supported by a creamy mouthfeel. On the palate, there are flavours of elderflower and nectarine with a smooth texture and a crisp, refreshing finish. Josh Donaghay-Spire, Head Winemaker

43 F here in South Florida.

Iguanas dropping from trees again.

Brrrrrrr.

Iguanas dropping from trees - now that is a visual! Probably not a good idea to walk under those types of trees either.

Over 30 here in the mid-Atlantic today but way colder at our Florida house. So much for sunny Florida!

Iguanas dropping from trees - now that is a visual! Probably not a good idea to walk under those types of trees either.

Over 30 here in the mid-Atlantic today but way colder at our Florida house. So much for sunny Florida!

:-)

Yep.

These iguanas are not native.

Sadly someone brought them and let go. Just like the bufo toads, Cuban frogs, pythons and tarantulas.

Do they post 'Watch For Falling Iguanas' signs?

Nope.

No signs.

We have no wall.

Iguanas freely traipsed over the border.

And of course many were brought by citizens and then freed.

So many issues.

Trump has yet to address our iguana problem.

Obvious aliens.

Greetings Coolers!

Welcome to the new bums warming stools in the Cooler Bar! Really hope you enjoy your time here!

Over the last two weeks one of our tight little family unit has been facing a serious health crisis. It has been a dance of emotions moving one step forward to hope and two steps back into fear. His situation is still precarious. At the urging of a dear friend I'm sticking my toes back in the Cooler water to recharge my spiritual batteries. Not looking for sympathy. We all have life challenges to deal with and this is currently ours.

Myster wandered way off his beaten culinary path last night with his first attempt at making Beef Pho. He made the broth from scratch and the resulting dish was amazing! Here are some pics:

First the garnishes of bean sprouts, mint, cilantro and basil with limes:

DSC05173.JPG

And....TA DA....

DSC05174.JPG

Please note the authentic Vietnamese Pho bowl. Ha Ha! Necessity is the mother of scouring the kitchen cabinets for large enough vessels to hold the deliciousness.

And now for a funny.....

free_snowman._3832971267.jpg

Have a great day all!

Hey Mysty....welcome back to the bar...we kept your place warm!

Mysters food looks delicious....clever guy!

On the musical theme...right now I'd like to be in the South Pacific washing dust right out of my hair!

Work is progressing well.....

Sending well wishes to all 😊

Lovely to see you back here M ..... and needless to say all thoughts with you and your family.

Lovely dish ...... I love pho. And exactly the right comfort dish for you.

I do not wish to lead Myster astray but as I am a pragmatist cook and I love finding canny cheats ... ie I only scratch stuff I can genuinely add value to .... and only then if the incremental quality is worth more than the incremental effort - then you might suggest to Myster some experiments to see what is acceptable to you and for example that he keeps his eye out for very good quality consomme when next shopping. The beef and chicken consommes we get in the UK is frankly better than I can do and better than what you often get when out so 95% of the job is done. Or put another way you can have fairly instant pho more often. Also for dumplings for example there are sometimes things that get you 85% there ..... many ravioli for example might be as close as you need. For example in the UK I sometimes by a lobster and prawn ravioli intended for Italian dishes but seem right at home in a bowl of vegetable consomme. The issue around this seems to me to be more in the mind than in the bowl.

Thanks J! Myster laboured long and hard on his broth and it was very good. Having done that he may now be interested in labour-saving ideas. :) We have two large containers of broth in the freezer now so the next Pho meal will be easier. Your lobster and prawn ravioli suggestion is a wonderful one! I will pass on your culinary wisdom to my lad! Thanks for that!

Good Morning, Coolers,

I was sorry to hear of the troubles that Mysty is going thru. My positive thoughts are with you (a la Norman Vincent Peale...not getting religious here, but there is something to that positive thinking thing)

That Pho looked amazing.....another mmmmmm!

Still very cold here...about 10.....have not found any frozen iguanas ...er chipmonks, but there's still a foot of snow to melt yet...haha!

Have been looking into just exactly where we're going on our Sept. TA on the Spirit. I don't know anything about Falmouth (Jeff, can you suggest?) but there seems to be an excursion to St. Ives. That could work for me as home to Bernard Leach and Barb Hepworth...also Tate outpost.....Any one know any of this area?

Have a good day, everyone..

Linda

Thanks Linda! We are definitely clinging to positive thoughts these days!

In terms of frozen creatures, a bird flew into our bedroom window the other day. It is now laying in the snow on the roof of the back deck and will probably have to stay there until spring. The house sits on the side of a small hill with the basement being walk-out. The roof of the deck is at the second story level and trying to exit the bedroom window to access the frozen avian is not a healthy thing to do for us seniors.