NCL fan planning first RCL cruise - appreciate your advice!

L1211

If you book a dining package, you make reservations onboard.

This may be part of the mystery of only seeing nights 1 and 2 in the cruise planner when trying to purchase a 5 night package. So with the package, I make the reservations once boarded? Is that difficult to get desires times? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much all the things you like about NCL

RC does not have it or does not do them very well.

Parties, Show, Specialty Restaurants, Piano Bar, Ect.

It will be a different experience.

But you will really like it a lot...[/.

Interesting... I booked this cruise because the ship looks like it is more teen friendly and it is my daughter's spring break... I know HOS gets rave reviews and we are excited. I know it won't be the same as the NCL cruise but still excited to try something new!

Thank you! Just jumped into the cruise planner last night. Do you know about purchasing specialty dining packages? Oddest thing... I bought the BOGO for $40 for the teens so I also purchased for DH and I. I had to choose days 1 and 2 and pick a dining time. Then I tried to also purchase a 5 night package but nights one and two were only offered to select as dining dates. Made no sense and I gave up. Is that only to select a time or are dates sold out? Ever seen that? I'm about 70 days out... gave up. Need to try again!

Dates are not sold out, you will be able to select restaurants and day/time once you are onboard. Go to any specialty restaurant to make your selections.

Harmony is a great ship, I was on her in October.

For adult only areas, the Solarium is great where you will probably meet the same people most days. Or the Sports Pool on Harmony is actually adults only (your teens would be fine there I think) which is where we spent most of our time and met the same people most sea days.

Piano Bar, I don't think Harmony has anything maybe on the same level as Howl on the Moon sounds. However you may enjoy On Air on the Promenade as a family where karaoke takes place, just across the Promenade is Boleros, where you'll find live music and dancing, this I've noticed is more geared toward adults but it depends what is going on, then up a deck is the Schooner Bar, some trivia games get played here which could be good family fun and some music.

Harmony has a silent disco, 90's street party and on my Allure cruise there was a white party but I can't remember if Harmony did it. All these are indoors though. There is more than this so it's worth going through your daily cruise planner to see what's on.

Evening bites- Sorrento's Pizza (24hrs) and Cafe Promenade is open quite late too.

The shows Harmony have are amazing. Grease was very good, make sure you see the Aqua Theatre shows- The Fine Line is incredible as is the Ice Skating Show. We also really enjoyed Columbus the Musical and Holiday Heist. Tip- Pre-Book them in your online planner before cruising.

Evening bars, Schooner Bar, Boleros as mentioned. The English Pub had live music some nights also, all of these are in the Promenade which does get busy if there is an event on such as the 90's street party or Formal Night.

You may like Dazzles (deck 9), they have music and dancing with a wide range of music in the evenings.

Some great speciality dining, we did Jamie's Italian which we really enjoyed and we found Sabor to be ok. There is also Wonderland which we didn't get to try but will be next time among plenty of other speciality dining options.

Drinks Package we didn't get we paid by the drink as we would never have made the most out of the package. However, the alcohol package includes everything so you can try all the drinks you like! Yes refresher is non-alcohol cocktails, sodas, juices etc.

Things for your children- Zip Line, Rock Climbing, Flow Rider (Also makes great viewing to just sit and watch for a while, Mini Golf, Arcade, Table Tennis, Water Slides, my favourite the Ultimate Abyss!!! (Wear a T-Shirt and don't take a bag!)

Also Escape the Rubicon for a extra price.

If you don't like crowds you will enjoy Central Park, lovely outdoor area which is always so peaceful! Park Cafe (great beef sandwiches and salads) and also a few shops, speciality dining there too.

I found the only time the walk way at the pool decks to be busy were when it was raining, otherwise never found it over-crowded.

For your husband the Windjammer is open good hours so that may suit him as a late sleeper.

We were on Deck 7 on Harmony and found it great, deck 5 is the Promenade, deck 6 Broadway and deck 8 is Central Park and we spent a lot of time in those places so used the stairs. Otherwise elevators would be super busy after shows have finished, or peak food times. Otherwise no problem.

Enjoy your trip!

EmilyJay, I love your tips and advice! We booked last and Harmony is almost sold out so landed on 7 by happenstance but sounds like a great location by your description!! I look forward to Central Park- we used the Water Front on NCL a lot. This may be something similar. Love your description for the teens - this is why we booked HOS - for my daughter's Sprite g break. I think the ship is more teen friendly! Thanks again!!

Dates are not sold out, you will be able to select restaurants and day/time once you are onboard. Go to any specialty restaurant to make your selections.

Got it. Makes much more sense now!!

Pretty much all the things you like about NCL

RC does not have it or does not do them very well.

Parties, Show, Specialty Restaurants, Piano Bar, Ect.

It will be a different experience.

But you will really like it a lot...[/.

Interesting... I booked this cruise because the ship looks like it is more teen friendly and it is my daughter's spring break... I know HOS gets rave reviews and we are excited. I know it won't be the same as the NCL cruise but still excited to try something new!

Yikes!!! My husband and I are in the same boat as you. We typically sail on NCL and we enjoy most of the things that you like as well. We just booked in the Allure because we've been hearing a lot of good things about Royal. Fingers crossed that it turns out well. Thanks for this post.

Don't miss the aqua theater shows. They are like nothing else you will ever see on any other class of ship. And they are certainly like nothing you've ever seen on NCL. They are spectacular.

Thanks Ocean Boy, is the aqua theatre show Cirque de Soleil like? I've seen some video on YouTube and was really impressed!

Yikes!!! My husband and I are in the same boat as you. We typically sail on NCL and we enjoy most of the things that you like as well. We just booked in the Allure because we've been hearing a lot of good things about Royal. Fingers crossed that it turns out well. Thanks for this post.

Fun travels to you!! Honestly can't imagine a bad cruise... I've been watching some videos, I totally enjoy planning. the things that seems most different is the outdoor/waterfront space on the waterfront on 8 on the large NCL ships. Much seems inside. Maybe I'm wrong. Still ship does seem beautiful.

We have been on 1 NCL, the Getaway and loved O'Sheehans. We have been on about 12 cruises with RCCL, and loved them all but they do not have any late night bar type food except pizza and cafe promenade, which is little sandwiches and cookies.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

The RCI ships have a pizza area and deli/ dessert area open all night

Except for Radiance and Vison class ships, where late night food venues usually close 1am-2am. Not sure about Majesty and Empress.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I too have just booked a first cruise with RCC on Adventure of the Seas. My previous experience on American ships (we're British) is with Carnival and NCL, both of which were a lot less formal than P&O who we regularly cruise with. How does RCC fit in here? Towards Carnival/NCL or P&O? Or somewhere in between? Thanks.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I too have just booked a first cruise with RCC on Adventure of the Seas. My previous experience on American ships (we're British) is with Carnival and NCL, both of which were a lot less formal than P&O who we regularly cruise with. How does RCC fit in here? Towards Carnival/NCL or P&O? Or somewhere in between? Thanks.

Towards Carnival/NCL. If you are talking formal as in dress code, Royal really just has suggestions now. You will see some dressed in tuxes and evening gowns, others dressed in gym shorts and tank tops, and everything in between.

If you book a dining package, you make reservations onboard.

One more question Clarea,

I'm a huge planner, so, if I purchase a three speciality dinner package for DH and I in addition to the BOGO I purchased for all 4 of us, that leaves me with two additional nights we can dine in the MDR with the girls. We have selected any time dining since I knew we'd not be using a table frequently. Should I go ahead and select nights for those two dinners and make those MDR reservations, leaving three designated nights for speciality restaurants or just make all dinner reservations once on board, leaving the most flexibility? We like to dine late. About 8 pm and I made show reservations at 10:30 to accommodate for this. Not sure if that is easier or harder to secure! Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm a huge planner, so, if I purchase a three speciality dinner package for DH and I in addition to the BOGO I purchased for all 4 of us, that leaves me with two additional nights we can dine in the MDR with the girls. We have selected any time dining since I knew we'd not be using a table frequently. Should I go ahead and select nights for those two dinners and make those MDR reservations, leaving three designated nights for speciality restaurants or just make all dinner reservations once on board, leaving the most flexibility? We like to dine late. About 8 pm and I made show reservations at 10:30 to accommodate for this. Not sure if that is easier or harder to secure! Thanks for your thoughts!

You can always make the MDR reservations now, and then change them if you feel like it when you get on board and start booking your specialty.

I'd make the reservations pre-cruise if possible. You can always change once onboard.

We are pretty much the opposite of you - we are Royal loyals and have just recently tried NCL. We have been on both the Oasis and the Allure twice, and are sailing Harmony in March. Last year was our first NCL on the Epic, going with two other couples. We loved Howl at the Moon and went every chance we could - and the included beverage package and specialty dining was a huge plus. Some of the entertainment was great, others so-so. Watching the Super Bowl in Spice H20 was so much fun. We were just on the NCL on the Escape last week - loved it as well. We had so much fun at the different bars. We tried Howl at the Moon once - very crowded, couldn't get a seat. I had read previously about Beau at the District Brew House - we enjoyed him much more than Howl at the Moon this time. He was a blast. Entertainment was talented but definitely more for adults in our opinion.

On Royal we don't purchase the beverage package - between free drinks based on our loyalty level, OBC, as well as days off the ship, it has just never been worth it to us. But Royal definitely has the wow factor, especially on the bigger ships. They are beautiful!! And there is just no comparison (in our opinion) to the entertainment. Much more family-friendly and just phenomenal. Watching the high-divers dive from 70 feet high into a small pool below on a moving ship is breathtaking. The ice shows are equally breathtaking! And the broadway shows we've seen have been fantastic - Hair Spray, Mama Mia being our favorites so far, although I can't wait to see Grease on our upcoming Harmony. On some of our ships the Schooner bar has been a great time with fun music and lots of audience participation; others a little more low-key. Although a highlight on our last Allure was impromptu music by one of the leads of Mama Mia in the Schooner. Had me swooning the rest of the week. The larger ships also have so much to offer while at sea - the FlowRiders (either as a participant or just to watch); zip line; rock-climbing; ice skating ... and even more on the Harmony!

The conclusion we came to on our last trip was that NCL is very fun with friends (we're hoping to be on the Bliss next Super Bowl), but we prefer the Royal biggies with family. But any cruise is great in our opinion (even when you see a little more liquid sunshine than hoped for like we did last week). I know your family will love the Harmony!!

We are pretty much the opposite of you - we are Royal loyals and have just recently tried NCL. We have been on both the Oasis and the Allure twice, and are sailing Harmony in March. Last year was our first NCL on the Epic, going with two other couples. We loved Howl at the Moon and went every chance we could - and the included beverage package and specialty dining was a huge plus. Some of the entertainment was great, others so-so. Watching the Super Bowl in Spice H20 was so much fun. We were just on the NCL on the Escape last week - loved it as well. We had so much fun at the different bars. We tried Howl at the Moon once - very crowded, couldn't get a seat. I had read previously about Beau at the District Brew House - we enjoyed him much more than Howl at the Moon this time. He was a blast. Entertainment was talented but definitely more for adults in our opinion.

On Royal we don't purchase the beverage package - between free drinks based on our loyalty level, OBC, as well as days off the ship, it has just never been worth it to us. But Royal definitely has the wow factor, especially on the bigger ships. They are beautiful!! And there is just no comparison (in our opinion) to the entertainment. Much more family-friendly and just phenomenal. Watching the high-divers dive from 70 feet high into a small pool below on a moving ship is breathtaking. The ice shows are equally breathtaking! And the broadway shows we've seen have been fantastic - Hair Spray, Mama Mia being our favorites so far, although I can't wait to see Grease on our upcoming Harmony. On some of our ships the Schooner bar has been a great time with fun music and lots of audience participation; others a little more low-key. Although a highlight on our last Allure was impromptu music by one of the leads of Mama Mia in the Schooner. Had me swooning the rest of the week. The larger ships also have so much to offer while at sea - the FlowRiders (either as a participant or just to watch); zip line; rock-climbing; ice skating ... and even more on the Harmony!

The conclusion we came to on our last trip was that NCL is very fun with friends (we're hoping to be on the Bliss next Super Bowl), but we prefer the Royal biggies with family. But any cruise is great in our opinion (even when you see a little more liquid sunshine than hoped for like we did last week). I know your family will love the Harmony!!

Thanks for your comments! It's interesting to see how other people feel after having been on both lines. We almost picked going on the Bliss over the Allure this time but we are really excited to try Royal.

Thank you so much for your comparison. Seems to confirm our reasons for booking HOS. It is our 18 y/o's spring break and the ship just seems more family oriented. We do enjoy great entertainment, dance party and sing along and can make our own fun! Look forward to what RCL has to offer. Can't wait!! Appreciate your reply!!

Here's another question. How about formal night(s?). Not our thing on NCL. We don't wear jean shorts and tanks in dining rooms but I wear business attire at work and enjoy more casual dress on vacation. I cruised on the 80s with gowns and tuxs. Sooooo not interested in formal attire on vacation!!!

Here's another question. How about formal night(s?). Not our thing on NCL. We don't wear jean shorts and tanks in dining rooms but I wear business attire at work and enjoy more casual dress on vacation. I cruised on the 80s with gowns and tuxs. Sooooo not interested in formal attire on vacation!!!

No problem, RC does not enforce any dress suggestions, so you will see the full range of attire.