First cruise - Cozumel snorkeling excursion

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and first cruise ever!

I’m traveling on Independence of the Seas in March. My top priority in Cozumel is snorkeling at a reef. The only one offered by the ship is what they call “Starfish Sanctuary and Palancar Reef Snorkel”. It’s a 4 hr excursion costing $59. I’m usually an independent traveler, but this is my first cruise, first time to Mexico, and I’m traveling alone. I’m 54 years old, in reasonable health/shape, and have moderate snorkeling experience.

Has anyone taken this excursion? Pros/cons? Other ideas/advice?

Thank you!

We did the reef and the sanctuary in early December through a private company. We went to 3 reefs . . . Each getting better than the previous one. I believe Palancar was the first one and we didn’t see much at all there.

The Starfish Sanctuary was unbelievable! They dot the sandbar and look so fake but they aren’t.

We thought it was worth doing and enjoyed the locations. Sorry I can’t tell you what RC offers. If you are traveling solo I’d book through Royal.

Watch for sale - our sale was $47 each on this one. Haven't been back to Palancar in quite a few years with multiple hurricanes in between. Heading there in a couple of weeks so will let you know conditions. While we normally book independent this was a decent price.

Edited by LeeW
more

I have scuba and snorkeled with Manta Ray Divers in cozumel. Great company and great out fit. Last time we were a little behind schedule and they dropped me right by the cruise pier. Owner Fernando is awesome. I would highly recommend them.