confirming next cruise while on board

kayehall

Sailing with RCCL next weekend. I am soooooooooo excited:')

What is the advantage of confirming another cruise while on board? Can you use your OBC as downpayment?

No, you cannot use OBC for your deposit.

The advantages of booking on board and OBC for the future cruise and a reduced deposit if you choose a non-refundable deposit option.

When I called Royal about a price drop a couple weeks ago, the guy on the phone gave me a friendly reminder that when I board the ship, I can book my next cruise and receive on board credit and a reduced deposit.

I replied, “Really? Are they still giving reduced deposits, or is that only if you book a non-refundable fare, because I heard that changed?”

And he said, “Yes, both refundable and non-refundable fares get reduced deposits.”

And I said “Oh cool, that’s good to hear because on all the message and travel boards people have reported being on the ships and getting told they had to book non-refundable rates.”

And he says, “No, that is not true.”

Of course I didn’t believe him, I was just trying to be nice about letting him know that had changed and he was giving out incorrect information, but he seemed to be convinced, so I just said “great thanks.”

I won’t be booking on board again until they bring back reduced deposits for refundable fares. I refuse to book a non-refundable fare, even if the price difference is $500, I will pay it for the “insurance.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I called Royal about a price drop a couple weeks ago, the guy on the phone gave me a friendly reminder that when I board the ship, I can book my next cruise and receive on board credit and a reduced deposit.

I replied, “Really? Are they still giving reduced deposits, or is that only if you book a non-refundable fare, because I heard that changed?”

And he said, “Yes, both refundable and non-refundable fares get reduced deposits.” ...

I would have asked him to send me something in writing to this effect so I could show it to the Next Cruise people on board.

And he said, “Yes, both refundable and non-refundable fares get reduced deposits.”

And I said “Oh cool, that’s good to hear because on all the message and travel boards people have reported being on the ships and getting told they had to book non-refundable rates.”

And he says, “No, that is not true.”

Of course I didn’t believe him, I was just trying to be nice about letting him know that had changed and he was giving out incorrect information, but he seemed to be convinced, so I just said “great thanks.”

I won’t be booking on board again until they bring back reduced deposits for refundable fares. I refuse to book a non-refundable fare, even if the price difference is $500, I will pay it for the “insurance.”

Cutting off nose to spite your face. 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Cutting off nose to spite your face. [emoji33]

Maybe, but I see a lot of value in being able to move, change and cancel a cruise without having to pay a fine. I’ve moved my upcoming cruise 4 times, so my money would have been long gone already. It’s no-hassle insurance for me, I don’t have to file a claim or go through a middle man to get my money back, I just have to keep an eye on my 90 day calendar. It’s worth it to me.

Maybe, but I see a lot of value in being able to move, change and cancel a cruise without having to pay a fine. I’ve moved my upcoming cruise 4 times, so my money would have been long gone already. It’s no-hassle insurance for me, I don’t have to file a claim or go through a middle man to get my money back, I just have to keep an eye on my 90 day calendar. It’s worth it to me.

There is an ongoing thread on what is the threshold to choose. Seems like it was around $200 difference

There is an ongoing thread on what is the threshold to choose. Seems like it was around $200 difference

$200 wouldn’t be worth it to me, but I see the logic in that. It would have to be closer to $1,000, although $500 would start me considering it if I was close to final payment anyway. My current cruise is only $80 different. No way I’d give up the ability to cancel for $80.

No, I would likely take less cruises, or just start planning differently (meaning last minute). Or I wouldn’t go at all.

If you do last minute, air will eat you up.

We're going to try and be last minute folks in 2019. Try is the key word.

$200 wouldn’t be worth it to me, but I see the logic in that. It would have to be closer to $1,000, although $500 would start me considering it if I was close to final payment anyway. My current cruise is only $80 different. No way I’d give up the ability to cancel for $80.

Cancel is $100 pp, hence the $200 thresholds

Cancel is $100 pp, hence the $200 thresholds

That logic makes sense. I still wouldn’t want to have to be restricted in holding the other $300 in a voucher with an expiration date (it does expire right? Or maybe I’m making that up).

People are still technically losing $200 though, because that money is physically gone, whereas if they’d booked the cruise that was $200 more, they would have gotten all $500 back. The $200 threshold only really makes sense if the people complete the cruise, or rebook for a cruise that is $200 cheaper.

The typical price drop 60 days out (if there are any) lines up nicely with the typical low airline price points also about 60 days out.

I’ve been keeping an eye on my airfare everyday, waiting for a price drop (I booked southwest so if it drops I get some credit back). So far the price has only gone up, which makes me happy because I feel like I got a good deal, but I am waiting for that “last minute” drop in prices, and will be just as happy to see that as I am to see it go up. RT/person was $496, and I’ve definitely seen it cheaper. So we’ll see.