Veteran Themed Cruise - February 2015

divewithchuck

I just found this on facebook "Veterans at Sea". They are doing a veteran themed cruise out of Long Beach on the Carnival Imagination in February. It looks like a private group of veterans onboard the ship.

I am differently going on this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Brisbane to Brisbane 14 days ... not a vets tour but I am Navy and setting up with local historians shore trips... in Rabal, Guadelcanal, Luganville ship will sail the "slot" past Tulagi, Kennedy island, Savo, Iron bottom Sound.... to name a few

Look up roll call for Sea Princess... also Princess main posts

turn-2 and pack your ditty bag.... all welcome whatever service

• 1 month later...
We are having our 5th Salute to Veterans Cruise out of Puerto Rico on September 20th this year and the plans are being made for the 6th one from Boston in October 2015:D

Which cruise ship out of Boston?

• 2 months later...

We are cruising with Oceania, June 17,-July 7. This is the London to London cruise. Are any of the retired military vets on this cruise? We would love to meet other retired Vets who love to cruise.

• 6 months later...

6th Salute to Veterans Cruise Norwegian Dawn - 23-30 October 2015 sailing out of Boston. ~21 military couples (all branches) aboard. May not be too late to join us.

The 7th Salute to Veterans is setup for January 2017.

Edited by Wifflebat

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Brisbane to Brisbane 14 days ... not a vets tour but I am Navy and setting up with local historians shore trips... in Rabal, Guadelcanal, Luganville ship will sail the "slot" past Tulagi, Kennedy island, Savo, Iron bottom Sound.... to name a few

Look up roll call for Sea Princess... also Princess main posts

turn-2 and pack your ditty bag.... all welcome whatever service

Thank you for your service. My dad is buried in the American Cemetery near Manila. I plan to visit while on the Celebrity Millennium on Feb 3rd of 2017. Any idea on how to get there from the Cruise Port and how long it will take?

He was KIA on PT-335 near Bongao Island, Tawi Tawi, near Mindanao.

• 10 months later...

If you're going to do a veteran's cruise, why not do it on Princess which is one of only 2 cruise lines (the other being Cunard) that offers onboard credit to anybody who has served for a minimum of 2 years on active duty and has a DD-214 showing an honorable discharge? The amount ranges from $50 to $250 per veteran depending on the length of the cruise. Just wondering.

Tom

• 1 year later...
On October 17, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Pierlesscruisers said:

If you're going to do a veteran's cruise, why not do it on Princess which is one of only 2 cruise lines (the other being Cunard) that offers onboard credit to anybody who has served for a minimum of 2 years on active duty and has a DD-214 showing an honorable discharge? The amount ranges from $50 to $250 per veteran depending on the length of the cruise. Just wondering.

Tom

When organizing the Salute to Veterans cruises, I always look at the options for all cruise lines.  Unfortunately, although Princess DOES offer an OBC to all veterans, the value is $100 for a 7 nt. (which is what our cruises usually are) and the cost per person is usually well above that amount, so the net total is usually significant more per couple.  Since almost all of the vets are now retired and living on fixed incomes, cost is a significant factor when planning.  If you're interested, we are sailing on Feb. 3, 2019 from New Orleans and I'm also starting to plan an Alaskan cruise tour for May 2020.

3 hours ago, jakesnana said:

Unfortunately, although Princess DOES offer an OBC to all veterans, the value is $100 for a 7 nt. (which is what our cruises usually are) and the cost per person is usually well above that amount, so the net total is usually significant more per couple.

Well of course the cost of the cruise is more than the OBC. You don't honestly expect it to honestly be even close to the total cost do you? But, even then there is at least one 7-day Alaska cruise going for as low a price as $699 which means the OBC is worth almost 15% of the cost of the cruise (not counting taxes, fees & port fees) which I think is a pretty good deal.  Or did I miss something here?

Tom

18 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Well of course the cost of the cruise is more than the OBC. You don't honestly expect it to honestly be even close to the total cost do you? But, even then there is at least one 7-day Alaska cruise going for as low a price as $699 which means the OBC is worth almost 15% of the cost of the cruise (not counting taxes, fees & port fees) which I think is a pretty good deal.  Or did I miss something here?

Tom

Sorry, I probably did not word my response correctly.

We are looking for a S/B sailing in May. The lowest price I saw was $799 per person for an inside cabin on Princess. On the Radiance I was able to get $569 per person for similar accommodations (the same is true with OV and BL cabins). That's an additional cost of $230 per person and only 1 OBC of $100 for the Veteran. Unfortunately, the benefit of the OBC does not out weigh the additional cost of the cruise, by a long shot. Believe me, I would LOVE to do Princess so that we could go to Glacier Bay, but I DO have to be conscious of the fact that if it's too expensive people will not be able to go at all.

Edited by jakesnana

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 8:51 AM, jakesnana said:

Sorry, I probably did not word my response correctly.

We are looking for a S/B sailing in May. The lowest price I saw was $799 per person for an inside cabin on Princess. On the Radiance I was able to get $569 per person for similar accommodations (the same is true with OV and BL cabins). That's an additional cost of $230 per person and only 1 OBC of $100 for the Veteran. Unfortunately, the benefit of the OBC does not out weigh the additional cost of the cruise, by a long shot. Believe me, I would LOVE to do Princess so that we could go to Glacier Bay, but I DO have to be conscious of the fact that if it's too expensive people will not be able to go at all.

I understood what you were saying. Princess isn't always the best deal when all things are considered including the obc. It's great that Princess is pro military, but it's the bottom line that counts.