MSC Musica - Any advice?

lifeasme123

I want to see if anyone has any "recent" experience on MSC Musica they would like to share. I am considering a Greek Island cruise from Venice next May 2018.

Also, what area of Venice would you recommend for one night stay before the cruise?

I sailed on Musica a few years ago. Lovely ship. No complaints. My sister and I will be on it on 10 September around Greece. It will be her first cruise and her first visit to Venice. The TA booked us into the Scandinavia Hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise. From the photos it looks typical old Italian style. The cruise is port intensive - no days at sea or overnight in port.

I sailed on Musica a few years ago. Lovely ship. No complaints. My sister and I will be on it on 10 September around Greece. It will be her first cruise and her first visit to Venice. The TA booked us into the Scandinavia Hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise. From the photos it looks typical old Italian style. The cruise is port intensive - no days at sea or overnight in port.

Thanks for the response! I just looked the tentative itinerary and it is port intensive! No sea days. The other ship (Poesia) had an overnight in Mykonos but the times looked odd. We get there 830PM one night and leave at 3:00am the next day. Based on this I calculated about 6 hours at port and in the middle of the night! Hence why we went with Musica.

I'm curious why your TA booked the Scandinavia Hotel? Is the island small that it makes no difference where on Venice we stay in relation to the cruise port or train station?

It's very important to do your homework on Venice, L. There are no roads - it's all canals. You could end up lugging suitcases up and down over bridges unless you use the expensive water taxis. You need to choose a hotel close to where the vaporetto (water bus) docks which gets you around. Here's a link:

http://www.govenice.com/getting-around-venice.html

Here's another website you may be interested in reading:

http://www.visitacity.com/en/venice?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Nq5jbad1QIVQ7cbCh1GSQUXEAAYASAAEgJ_qfD_BwE

We stayed in a lovely B&B very close to St Mark's Square, but it was after our cruise - not before, so I don't know if it would suit your needs.

I haven't sailed on Musica, but I've been on Magnifica, which is in the same class and loved it. It seemed like a perfect size ship - not too big, not too small.

You were right not to go with Poesia with the night visit to Mykonos. We did that itinerary. We visited Santorini in the morning. We decided not to go ashore that night in Mykonos as we were tired from visiting Santorini earlier that day. The ship was like a ghost-town, but people we spoke to who had gone ashore, reported back that they were ripped off in the bars and cafés and were sorry that they hadn't given it a miss.

It's very important to do your homework on Venice, L. There are no roads - it's all canals. You could end up lugging suitcases up and down over bridges unless you use the expensive water taxis. You need to choose a hotel close to where the vaporetto (water bus) docks which gets you around. Here's a link:

http://www.govenice.com/getting-around-venice.html

Here's another website you may be interested in reading:

http://www.visitacity.com/en/venice?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Nq5jbad1QIVQ7cbCh1GSQUXEAAYASAAEgJ_qfD_BwE

We stayed in a lovely B&B very close to St Mark's Square, but it was after our cruise - not before, so I don't know if it would suit your needs.

I haven't sailed on Musica, but I've been on Magnifica, which is in the same class and loved it. It seemed like a perfect size ship - not too big, not too small.

You were right not to go with Poesia with the night visit to Mykonos. We did that itinerary. We visited Santorini in the morning. We decided not to go ashore that night in Mykonos as we were tired from visiting Santorini earlier that day. The ship was like a ghost-town, but people we spoke to who had gone ashore, reported back that they were ripped off in the bars and cafés and were sorry that they hadn't given it a miss.

Thanks again Bea for the advice!!! I am happy to hear about Magnifica comparison and that we made the right choice regarding the itinerary. I promised you I would try YC on the next MSC cruise I book, but this ship does not have it!!!

I am looking at hotels that is close to the train station and the cruise port.

Thanks again Bea for the advice!!! I am happy to hear about Magnifica comparison and that we made the right choice regarding the itinerary. I promised you I would try YC on the next MSC cruise I book, but this ship does not have it!!!

Yeah ............. our next 2 cruises are on Musica class ships this year - Magnifica and Orchestra. So, no Yacht Club. Which is just as well as we couldn't afford it on both, anyway! I won't feel so bad in our lowly balcony cabins knowing there isn't a special area onboard that we're not in LOL. After our YC experience on Meraviglia, it's difficult to contemplate anything less! However, as long as I'm on an MSC ship, I'm happy! ;p

I want to see if anyone has any "recent" experience on MSC Musica they would like to share. I am considering a Greek Island cruise from Venice next May 2018.

Also, what area of Venice would you recommend for one night stay before the cruise?

Here is a link to a excellent guide to Venice

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

If you can there are hotels which have their own complimentary "taxi" boats which pick you up from he airport and will take you to the cruise terminal in them.

But they tend to be in the 4 star bracket.

pete

Thanks for the response! I just looked the tentative itinerary and it is port intensive! No sea days. The other ship (Poesia) had an overnight in Mykonos but the times looked odd. We get there 830PM one night and leave at 3:00am the next day. Based on this I calculated about 6 hours at port and in the middle of the night! Hence why we went with Musica.

I'm curious why your TA booked the Scandinavia Hotel? Is the island small that it makes no difference where on Venice we stay in relation to the cruise port or train station?

I haven't asked why The Scandinavian Hotel as it is quite close to St Mark's Square. The TA has also arranged transfers for us from airport to hotel and then on to the ship. Plus return transfers. Getting quite excited now.

You can read my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2503104

If you can walk no problem I would recommend to stay far from St.Marco .

Yeah ............. our next 2 cruises are on Musica class ships this year - Magnifica and Orchestra. So, no Yacht Club. Which is just as well as we couldn't afford it on both, anyway! I won't feel so bad in our lowly balcony cabins knowing there isn't a special area onboard that we're not in LOL. After our YC experience on Meraviglia, it's difficult to contemplate anything less! However, as long as I'm on an MSC ship, I'm happy! ;p

Magnifica used to have a Yacht club back in 2009 until about 2012

here's a deck plan showing the YC on Magnifica

magnifica.jpg

Pete

• 2 months later...

I am wondering if you have any reviews on the Orchestra that you have enjoyed reading? We are on that ship next April and there just is not that much information out there about this ship. Plus, we’ll, I’m just excited :D It’s our first time on MSC

I am wondering if you have any reviews on the Orchestra that you have enjoyed reading? We are on that ship next April and there just is not that much information out there about this ship. Plus, we’ll, I’m just excited :D It’s our first time on MSC

I did do a search of the forum before for reviews. However, recently I'd been concentrating on our Magnifica cruise which we disembarked from this day last week. She's Orchestra's sister ship so is very similar in layout and offerings. At the moment, I'm trying to figure how to do a ship's review for those who'll be sailing on her from Southampton next year and who'll only be interested in elements of the ship and not our experience onboard as MSC is planning to make it more "British", plus it'll be a different itinerary and cruise length (7 nights whereas ours was 9 night).

I have noted that both you and Kateann61414 will be sailing Orchestra next year (Kateann in January) so I'll do my best to write a review with any info you need (I don't usually do reviews, but, as you say, there's very little about Orchestra). In the meantime, if there's anything specific you want to know, just ask and I'll make a note to find it out.

I did do a search of the forum before for reviews. However, recently I'd been concentrating on our Magnifica cruise which we disembarked from this day last week. She's Orchestra's sister ship so is very similar in layout and offerings. At the moment, I'm trying to figure how to do a ship's review for those who'll be sailing on her from Southampton next year and who'll only be interested in elements of the ship and not our experience onboard as MSC is planning to make it more "British", plus it'll be a different itinerary and cruise length (7 nights whereas ours was 9 night).

Very much looking forward to your Magnifica review as I'm one of the people on from Southampton next year. I love reading reviews so will enjoy hearing about your whole experience not just the bits relevant to us.

We went to a local cruise show last Sunday where MSC had a stand. Obviously they were pushing the Magnifica cruises out of Southampton, we chatted to their representative who said that although they are adding British elements, they are taking nothing away so we should still get the usual European MSC experience. It sounded very similar to the things RCL add to Indy when she is based out of Southampton.

I guess we'll find out in April:)

Julie

try this review

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

We were on Musica the last week of September this year and really enjoyed.

There was only one downside, we had to come home!!!

We flew in a day before and stayed in Smart Hotel Holidayl, Mastre. We arrived early in the morning and were able to book into the hotel. The hotel was only a few minutes from the tram and were able to sell us a 24 hour ticket for the tram and water bus for €20 each. Well worth having as you can jump on and off for 24 hours from when you first activate it. Just make sure you activate on every journey.

We went into Venice that afternoon and had a walk about but there were too many people about and didn't really enjoy it. Maybe some time we will go back for a few days.

The hotel offers transfer to the port in a minibus for something like €5 each. No lugging luggage over the bridges for us!!

Now the cruise. First of all it is what you make of it. We hadn't cruise for 10 years due to circumstance but really enjoyed it.

Don't do too many trips. There are plenty of walk off opportunities. So think about what you really want to see.

Americans, now friends, we met did 4 trips that week were exhausted as they didn't factor in the amount of walking required on some of them.

Even though there are no full sea days there are some half days at sea, enjoy them, relax, soak up the atmosphere and sun and the odd "lemonade".

Just go with an open mind like us and you will enjoy it.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer as best I can.

We were on Musica the last week of September this year and really enjoyed.

There was only one downside, we had to come home!!!

We flew in a day before and stayed in Smart Hotel Holidayl, Mastre. We arrived early in the morning and were able to book into the hotel. The hotel was only a few minutes from the tram and were able to sell us a 24 hour ticket for the tram and water bus for €20 each. Well worth having as you can jump on and off for 24 hours from when you first activate it. Just make sure you activate on every journey.

We went into Venice that afternoon and had a walk about but there were too many people about and didn't really enjoy it. Maybe some time we will go back for a few days.

The hotel offers transfer to the port in a minibus for something like €5 each. No lugging luggage over the bridges for us!!

Now the cruise. First of all it is what you make of it. We hadn't cruise for 10 years due to circumstance but really enjoyed it.

Don't do too many trips. There are plenty of walk off opportunities. So think about what you really want to see.

Americans, now friends, we met did 4 trips that week were exhausted as they didn't factor in the amount of walking required on some of them.

Even though there are no full sea days there are some half days at sea, enjoy them, relax, soak up the atmosphere and sun and the odd "lemonade".

Just go with an open mind like us and you will enjoy it.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer as best I can.

Really helpful as we will be on Musica in a few weeks time and staying 2 nights at the Smart Hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I were on Orchestra in Feb 2015 sailing from Dubai where my son and his family are based. It was their first cruise but I have sailed many times before with MSC.

If you are interested I wrote a review of that cruise which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273028.

This will hopefully give you an insight as to the ship.

We are booked for next July on Seaview and are very much looking forward to being on this new ship sailing from Barcelona. Before that I will be sailing on Musica on 25th March 2018 with my daughter and her family. This time I will be flying over to Dublin where daughter is living as we could not get any direct flights from the UK so we are flying from Dublin to Venice and I will spend time in Ireland both pre and post cruise.

Good luck with your plans