Noise Factor: Deck 8

stevenr597

We have noticed that all the Suites on the Azamara ships are on deck 8 which is below the swimming pool area as well as the buffet. To be honest, is noise a problem. In the past, when we sailed on other ships we have tried to avoid being below the buffet area, and or the swimming pool due to noise, especially from dragging of deck chairs and or table chairs. Would it be better to book a deluxe balcony room on deck 7?

Never book a cabin under a pool deck. Many years ago, we made that mistake. We paid a higher fare for that location and had lots of noise overhead. I would never book on deck 8. Also, don't book a cabin at the end of a section. On Azamara, deck 7 is the best location. I like a cabin that is on a deck between 2 other decks of passenger cabins. Another thing to pay attention to is the cabins near the laundry room. With only one laundry room on the ship, it can get crowded. Laundry room opens on the even side midship deck 7.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone stayed in one on the starboard side. We’re close to plunging (pun intended) for 8036.

We stayed in 8040 for 16 days in November. Would book the cabin again in a heartbeat. We did hear furniture being moved a few times, but it never awaken or disturbed us.

Port has four letters; left has four letters.

That's how I remember which is Port as well...I raise my left hand.

I once read a history of how the terms Port and Starboard came into use, but I'm not remembering right now. Perhaps it had to do with the old British India trade routes? Any maritime expert out there know? :ship:

I once read a history of how the terms Port and Starboard came into use, but I'm not remembering right now. Perhaps it had to do with the old British India trade routes? Any maritime expert out there know? :ship:

I'm no expert, but I do love a reasearch challenge. According to the US government National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website, starboard was named because old ships steering oars were on the right side (facing forward) and were referred to in old English as stéor (steer) bord (side of the ship).

As the size of boats grew, so did the steering oar, making it much easier to tie a boat up to a dock on the side opposite the oar. This side became known as larboard, or "the loading side." Over time, larboard—too easily confused with starboard—was replaced with port. After all, this was the side that faced the port, allowing supplies to be ported aboard by porters.

Of course, today, the ships can put either side next to the pier. Which is why you can't answer the question "Which side should I book to be on the dock side?"

We were in 8036 on Journey for 14 days and yes you do hear the occasional chair dragging but not befor 7 AM and usually after 7 but not past 9. We never really found it ever disturbed sleep.
Thank you Trend 🙂

The British link is in the word “posh” - port out starboard home which was what the gentry preferred travelling to and from India to enjoy the shaded (cooler) rooms.

The left hand idea depends on the way you are facing so doesn’t work at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We recently booked 8039 and after reading all the comments are happy that we did.

We knew that being on deck 8 could potentially be difficult but it sounds as though it will not be a big problem.

Really wanted the bigger cabin and the suite amenities so we took a chance.

Thanks all for your comments

Orchid69