Homophobic Gondoliers in Venice??

TucsonRick

My husband and I will be making our 2nd visit to Venice and would really like to ride in a gondola. Do the gondoliers have a problem taking 2 men on a ride? We don't do PDAs so that's not an issue, but it is fairly obvious that we are a couple.

Rick

My spouse and I have been to Venice three times. As you approach the gondolier stands, gondoliers will approach you (and they'll see you as a couple) and then you pick the one you like based on chemistry and vibe. There are several gondolier stands, so don't feel pressured to take your first offer!

Do ask if they'll sing for you! It's a fair question. Also, if they'll take you into side canals so that you're not just bobbing around on the Grand Canal with all the other gondolas, boats and vaporettos, etc. I recommend going with one who agrees to sing and go off the Grand Canal. A gondola ride is expensive, so make sure you're going to savour and remember the experience.

We once had a great gondolier who sang opera and was totally cool with us as a couple. We didn't canoodle or anything like that, but he did encourage us to sit close together. It was wonderful.

Cheers,

I can't offer any opinion on your question but I can tell you that hubby and I really enjoyed learning to be a gondolier rather than just taking a ride in one. The cost for both of us was much less than the cost of a gondola ride and we got so much more out of it. If you are interested, you can probably find the class i am talking about using your friend google...if not, email me at BigNCBear@aol.com and I will be happy to share.

It was the most memorable day of our 14 day Italy land and cruise trip a few years back.

My spouse and I have been to Venice three times. As you approach the gondolier stands, gondoliers will approach you (and they'll see you as a couple) and then you pick the one you like based on chemistry and vibe. There are several gondolier stands, so don't feel pressured to take your first offer!

Do ask if they'll sing for you! It's a fair question. Also, if they'll take you into side canals so that you're not just bobbing around on the Grand Canal with all the other gondolas, boats and vaporettos, etc. I recommend going with one who agrees to sing and go off the Grand Canal. A gondola ride is expensive, so make sure you're going to savour and remember the experience.

We once had a great gondolier who sang opera and was totally cool with us as a couple. We didn't canoodle or anything like that, but he did encourage us to sit close together. It was wonderful.

Cheers,

This is exactly the kind info I was looking for. Thanks!

Rick