2 bookings Can they be combined to check luggage through?

montu6

We have 2 bookings on our RIC to Rome flight: 1st RIC to BOS on Delta using FF points, and 2nd Ezee air through Holland on Delta. Would it be possible to check baggage through to Rome to avoid having to collect luggage in BOS? Thanks for the advice!

Delta's policy is a bit different than other airlines, most of which wouldn't through-check your bags. Here's Delta's policy as of last year which looks to me like they will, but my guess is that this will totally be at the discretion of the Delta people at RIC. Be sure to have complete documentation on both reservations (confirmation codes for the connecting flights in particular) and make nice to the counter people.

What airlines are you actually flying? DL from RIC to BOS i see, but what airline are you flying form Boston to Amsterdam and then onto Rome? If it is a Delta/KLM combo (as they are in the same alliance) then you should be ok. But if you are going to be on an airline that is not part of Sky Team it becomes a whole different story. Details are important, because Delta doesn't fly from Amsterdam to Rome.

Must correct Trucker Dave. You do not have to fly all airlines of the Sky Team to have luggage transferred. You can fly Delta, connect to United, connect to Lufthansa, etc. There are a lot of exceptions, of course, most notably Delta to American and vice versa and Southwest. It can be done with actually quite a few airlines.

I agree with the writer who expressed concern about making your connection. I certainly understand why you broke the trip into two separately booked legs. I have done that as well and it can result in a significant saving, particularly when you are flying out of an airport like RIC. However, because the legs are not linked, you cannot rely on Delta to put you on the next flight to Rome at no additional cost, even if the reason you missed the flight was because of their delay. I used to live in Virginia and would fly out of RIC frequently. It seemed like we were constantly delayed, although in fairness it wasn't on Delta and I never flew the RIC-BOS route. When we do this type of '2 leg" trip, we make sure we have a very long layover and there are contingency flights if our first flight is canceled for some reason. We have even flown in the day before and spent the night at a hotel near the airport. We don't do this very often as it is a real pain to put together. But the savings can be surprising if you are having to connect to a major hub for an international flight. We did this last year to connect with a flight out of PHL to Amsterdam. Even with the cost of the hotel and a few extra meals, the cost savings was still slightly over $1,000.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. The RIC flight is arriving around 3:30 and is a Delta flight. The BOS to Rome is direct leaving at 10:10 code shared through Alitalia, ticketed through Delta. I sure hope it all works out!

What airlines are you actually flying? DL from RIC to BOS i see, but what airline are you flying form Boston to Amsterdam and then onto Rome? If it is a Delta/KLM combo (as they are in the same alliance) then you should be ok. But if you are going to be on an airline that is not part of Sky Team it becomes a whole different story. Details are important, because Delta doesn't fly from Amsterdam to Rome.

No guarantees with cruise-purchased air, but the AMS-FCO leg would almost certainly be either KLM or Alitalia, both of whom are part of Sky Team.

No guarantees with cruise-purchased air, but the AMS-FCO leg would almost certainly be either KLM or Alitalia, both of whom are part of Sky Team.

I don't believe they are transiting AMS. The use of the words "through Holland" I suspect means booked through Holland America Cruises.

Then again, clarity isn't always a priority in initial postings, as the poster later said that the second leg was BOS-FCO. No info on the operating carrier, just something about codeshares.

You're right. I meant booked through Holland America Cruise. The Boston to Rome segment is direct. It is sold by Delta but operated by Alitailia. Also I goofed. The RIC to BOS segment arrives around 12:35 so we will have lots of connection time. There are multiple flights to BOS from RIC if there is a problem. Thanks again for the help.

I don't believe they are transiting AMS. The use of the words "through Holland" I suspect means booked through Holland America Cruises.

Good point; another reply mentioned connecting at AMS which is not the case, as it turns out. As you always say, the devil is in the details! ;)