Oxygen dependent

brandiehowe

Cruise lines do not assist in passenger’s oxygen needs. You can rent a unit from special needs at sea and they will either deliver to the ship if it is a full size unit, or ship it to you directly. Check with your mothers usual oxygen supplier to see if they may rent units also. Liquid oxygen is not permitted on ships, however, as said above, pls contact the cruise line’s special needs dept for their policy and their preferred suppliers. We have our own purchsed Inogen units (one for backup), and they are worth their purchase just to provide us with many travel options. Also check with senior centers or senior assistance centers in your area, they may have some ideas and assistance also.

No suggestions unfortunately, but this from the cruise line's FAQs just for your information:

OXYGEN

"The Medical Center is equipped with oxygen for emergency use ONLY. If you require the use of oxygen during your cruise, you must arrange for an adequate supply to be delivered to the ship on your sailing date. Please contact Guest Services once on board for proper storage of your oxygen. Guests are responsible for the pickup and delivery of their own oxygen. Please have your medical supply company contact us, otherwise port clearance may not be granted.

If you choose to bring your own personal supply of oxygen, you must hand carry it with you. Packing oxygen cylinders and/or tanks in your checked luggage is strictly prohibited, as is putting them through security x-ray machines. Please hand-carry your oxygen machines (BiPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, Nebulizer, etc.) and not place them in your checked luggage."

I have taken a POC on at least 40 cruises. I always notify the airlines. The airlines may ask for a doctors statement. They did have a form to be filled out and signed by your doctor. I get a blanket statement from my doctor at the VA to cover all my medical needs annually. The airlines wants the dosage and to know that you will have adequate batteries for the duration of the flight.

For the ship, I just fill out their special needs form and submit it when I book the cruise. I also take a 15 ft heavy duty extension cord.

If you plan on traveling a lot, I'd suggest you consider purchasing a portable concentrator; rental is expensive.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Can she use an oxygen concentrator instead of tanks (this will depend upon the amount/flow rate/dose she requires)? A concentrator is fairly portable, and does not require separate tanks of oxygen. Certain brands/models can also be used on the plane.