Amsterdam

Tiggipaws

She is an older ship but a great ship.

We have sailed on her quite a few times.

We did her 14 day Alaskan cruise twice on her -- just like you are doing in the future. That is a great itinerary.

Its either this one or Circle of Hawaii on the Eurodam

• 2 months later...
Just off the ship. It is in good shape. I plan on writing a review when the snow stops and we can get home. We found several issues that could be fixed with training or new staff. The cabin stewards and bar staff did their usual great job.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Did you write your review? I would like to know more about this ship. Has it had recent refurbishment?

I know you are still facing East Coast storms!

Did the 50 Day Tales of the South Pacific on the Amsterdam - a few years ago. She is our least favorite of this "R" class of ships, but if the itinerary is what you want, then she will do just fine. We just like the looks and overall feel of the other R class HAL ships. Amsterdam was either a bit dour or garish to our tastes ....and expectations after sailing on her less celebrated sisters: Rotterdam, Zaandam and Voldendam

(Eg: Dour:gray tone tile art walls in the Lido. Garish:large silver naked ladies in full pike lining the entire red and purple showroom. Colors and patterns going every which way in the Lido outdoor area. Comparing these to the very lovely and colorful Lido tiles and the elegance of the Rotterdam showroom, and the overall pulled together feel of the other R Class ships Zaandam and Voldendam.)

So this one R class ship we thought went off in too many directions, when we expected it to be their first class "flagship". Hopefully after a few more dry docks since our own experience several years ago, they worked a little more magic in that sole department. Please file this under very superficial objections. I would have no objections to cruising her again, but next time without any great expectations that she was more special due to her long-standing World Voyage status.

Otherwise all the right small and large HAL ship features are there and the staff, crew and enrichment on that cruise was tops. We did have a serious problem with very stinky scuppers on our balcony that materially reduced the enjoyment of our balcony throughout the cruise - they kept working on this and flushing them out every few days, and did give us a small compensation. Again, this is something that should have been fixed by now.

We were on the Amsterdam for 3 weeks last spring. We really liked the ship - the smaller size and the excellent, personal service in particular. There were some issues with air conditioning on that cruise; the Lido was freezing as was the room where they showed movies. I spoke to one passenger who had the opposite problem in her room- too warm. We didn't have that problem in our room, and I made sure to take a sweater with me to the Lido. I would happily cruise on the Amsterdam again.

We love the Amsterdam! Cruised for 48 days to the South Pacific in 2016. Was the decor a little funky, yup. Did it change anything about the cruise, nope. The service was beyond incredible. So good that we did a full Panama Canal cruise in 2017. We wanted to see if the first cruise was just a fluke. No, it was just as fabulous. Food, service, lectures all very good. Happy to say we are booked again for 51 days, again to the South Pacific, in 2019. It can’t come fast enough.

Cheers, Denise

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from the first 63 days off the current World Cruise on Amsterdam. I'm not sure where some of the negative comments made by Crazy for Cats regarding the decor are really relevant.

Anyhow, you would be very hard pressed to find a friendlier crew who always had a smile and greeting for you wherever you were. My wife encountered some health issues while on the trip and the crew was always there when we needed them and, in a couple of instances, jumped in to help her when we hadn't even asked.

The quality and preparation of the food in Lido and the main dining room were excellent. We fell in love with the food line ladies in Lido. They always had a smile and greeting for us, by name even though we hadn't introduced ourselves to them, and made sure that we had what we needed. As mentioned, my wife had some health problems while on board and there were some days she just didn't have the energy to go to the Lido for a meal. I would go there and ask one of the waitstaff for a tray to put food on to take back to the cabin and one of them always insisted on helping me carry it back to our cabin.

Entertainment was excellent. The HAL singers and dancers had lots of talent and the entertainers brought on board were all phenomenal.

The ship does definitely need some areas overhauled and that should occur during its dry dock after the World Cruise ends.

We would go back on the ship in a heartbeat!

BayGuy: For the record, I was the one who made the comments about the Amsterdam decor, with specifics and in comparison to her sister "R" class ships. They were relevant to the OP's original question. Crazy for Cats had issues with the service, not the decor.

Love the Amsterdam. Did world Cruise last year. Yes, it's an older ship but everything seemed to work O.K. and it has class and an ambience that I like. Try it, you'll like it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She is an older ship but a great ship.

We have sailed on her quite a few times.

We did her 14 day Alaskan cruise twice on her -- just like you are doing in the future. That is a great itinerary.

Do they have a Naturalist onboard for the Alaska cruise?