12 Night Anthem (partially live) Review

Bubbis3

Disclaimer: There should be nothing in this review that you read, that should dissuade you from taking this cruise. My opinions are mine and RC is tops in Cruising. However, my opinions may help you plan for a better experience or reinforce what you already know.

As of now, I’m on day 4, currently in San Juan. A little background: this cruise was picked out by my father. It’s his retirement cruise. I’m in a JS (not a spa JS, the one that has the bigger balcony and only 1 bathroom). I had a very large credit to use from RC because I was scheduled to go on the Allure in September during the hurricane and wasn’t able to make it due to flight cancellations to FL. RC gave me all of my money back in the form of a credit to be used in a years time. I was in a loft suite on Allure, so that credit was able to be applied for this cruise and pay for it in full with some left over. My sister is also on this cruise with us. She’s in a OS.

Embarkation

I drove from NH to NJ. It was a Sunday so the traffic wasn’t bad at all. It took about 4.5 hrs to get there. I didn’t plan that to well. I left at about 4:30 in the morning and with stops, planned on arriving at 10am. I got to Cape Liberty at 9:00am. I was still able to drop my luggage off at that time without any problem. Parking is easy and plentiful. I was able to walk in, right after 9am, and check in using the mobile check in process they have on the quantum class ships. They had to retake my picture due to an upload problem. There’s no health survey to fill out. Just questions asked by the person checking you in. After security, they sit you by your Crown and Anchor status. On this cruise, the make up is very different than other cruises I’ve been on. It’s a much older crowd. I don’t know the exact figures but I’m guessing that there’s not more than 200 kids on this cruise. Every cruise I’ve been on has had at least a thousand kids on board. So boarding was early. I think suites were allowed on at 10:30am. I was on board by 10:45am. So here is my one complaint about the boarding process. I have the same first, and obviously, last name as my father. We have different middle names. I’m not a junior. He’s not a Sr. Every time we board, there’s an issue with our on board accounts and when they scan the room cards (or this case set sail pass) my fathers picture comes up with my set sail pass and visa versa. This was a real embarrassment because not only did they have to call a security officer to rectify the situation but it held up everyone else trying to board who were stand outside in the minus 0 cold. I’ve called RC before and told them the simple way to avoid this situation is to just add our middle initial to our reservation. Every time we get told, we can’t do that. Really? It’s 2018 people, lets get with it and upgrade the reservation system to take a middle initial. The other thing is the security personnel didn’t understand why we both had the same names. Guest services was able to add my middle name on my room card to avoid any more confusion when getting off the ship at ports of call. After that, I made my way up to the Windjammer for lunch. As advertised, it was crowded. But not as crowded as Cafe 270. The line for that was out the door, way past next cruise sign up area. The muster drill was at 2:30pm. Things have really changed with the muster drill. I remember the days of life jackets and standing like a hurd of cattle on deck. Now it’s a video, that to be honest, doesn’t do much to teach you anything about what to do in an emergency. However, I did get to see the wash your hands video again. I think I know it now by heart. And I sat at a table with some pinicle C&A members. God, did I feel bad for them. What this all comes down to is this: if there’s a problem on board, that requires you to get off the big ship to get on the little yellow boat, just go to your assigned area. That’s it in a nut shell.

I shall have more on the room and Mytime dining experience a little later on.

Bob (the other Bob)

Not surprised about the lines in the Cafe 270. It's not a secret to the many many repeaters on your 12 day Jan cruise. Solarium Bistro is another option to the WJ.

Looking forward to your review. I leave next week for 21 days on Anthem. Glad you had a good drive down from NH and missed the bad weather. Early Sunday morning is always a good time for that trip.

We've done the 12 nighter on either Anthem or Quantum the last 3 Januaries in a row. Hope you have smooth seas coming home!

The seas coming down we’re not bad. This is subjective so what I think isn’t bad could be terrible for someone not used to Cruising or boating.

Looking forward to your review and comments. We will be on Anthem for an 11night cruise on Jan 28. We have never done a long winter cruise out of NY before but we were on Anthem at the end of October and found the chair hogs worse than any other cruise (of many). Interested to know of your observations.

Boarding Anthem next Friday. First trip on Anthem and first time out of New Jersey. Any recommendations for sail away? Are temperatures onboard comfortable?

Port side to see the Statue of Liberty, then as high and far forward as you can for the bridge.

Boarding Anthem next Friday. First trip on Anthem and first time out of New Jersey. Any recommendations for sail away? Are temperatures onboard comfortable?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Temperatures on board are comfortable. I find the solarium to be a bit too warm. The thermostats in the room work great. You won’t be cold, even up in the NY area. Lots of activities to do inside.

I was planning on writing a review of the cabin this evening. Unfortunately, after departing San Juan and clearing the harbor, we had to return to the dock for a medical emergency. Hope all effected will be ok. I will write some more tomorrow.

Bob (the other Bob)

Looking forward to your review and comments. We will be on Anthem for an 11night cruise on Jan 28. We have never done a long winter cruise out of NY before but we were on Anthem at the end of October and found the chair hogs worse than any other cruise (of many). Interested to know of your observations.

Unless you are swimming the last bit, you'll be on a 12 night cruise. :)

Come join our Roll Call!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2360026

I hope you have great weather. We were on the New Year's eve frozen tundra snow, wind, rain high seas Anthem cruise to Pt. Canaveral and Bahamas. I am still thawing out. The Anthem is such a great ship with a fabulous crew that even with horrid weather we had a great time.

Following. Question, even when it's fridged out, are the indoor pools useable? I'll be on next week with my kids. They love swimming. Will they be able to swim on day 1 or 2?

They certainly will be able to use the indoor pool on day 1 and 2. The solarium pool is for 16+ only. There were several people using it on both those days. The outdoor pool was filled sometime later on the day on day 2. IMO it’s still to cold for that pool at that time. Lifeguards will be on duty.

When you do the online check in -- it asks for your middle name (if it's on your passport) -- just curious -- would that show up on your booking/sea pass card to differentiate you from your dad?

It won’t appear on your setsail pass or your room card. I book my reservations through club royale and they told me they didn’t have the ability to add a middle initial.