Christmas Market Itinerary - Budapest to Passau or Nuremberg to Frankfurt

mommamd

Just be sure you know that Advent begins December 2, 2018. Some big markets will probably open on November 30. Very little in the way of markets before then. Both are good, the Nuremberg route will be more German.

Ohhh, choices....other than the Christmas markets, do you have anything else you want to see or do? We prefer the Nuremberg to Frankfurt cruise. Hubby likes the beer along the Main and Rothenberg, Miltenberg and Nuremberg are really very pretty.

Either one is better than not going anywhere. :D

RB

This is a hard call for me, first I have been to Budapest but not in December (next Dec.). The Nuremberg to Frankfurt (Dec. 2016) was a beautiful cruise for the markets, we love Rothenburg but had spent 2 nights there before a Nuremberg to Vienna cruise a few years ago. We enjoyed our stay more than just a day visit to Rothenburg on the cruise. Passau has the best Lebkuchen I have had (Simon I think).

Second seating

We are most likely going with The Passau to Budapest because we've done the other route in a summer cruise. If you haven't done that one, I would recommend just because of the smaller villages with all their charm.

We are making the same decision, we want to hit both Budapest and Prague (an extension I believe). Looks like AMAWAterways or Emerald Waterways are the two offerings...unless I've missed something. Any idea how soon we'd have to decide before the ships fill up?