Also concerns about the Dream

Having read recent reviews I am also concerned about dropping standards on the Dream. We have sailed on her many times and accept she is an old ship but was looking forward to our repositioning cruse in April until reading lastest reviews. Has anyone been on her lately and can hopefully reassure me.

We were on the dream for new year and unfortunately it was the worst cruise I have ever been on, we have been on the dream numerous times with no problems but this cruise was terrible. This could have been due to the sickness bug being rife for the full week but the food was extremely basic in the buffet restaurant no pool or Jacuzzi for the full week, the entertainment was dire very loud and the entertainment team just seemed to shout all the time. The medusa lounge was almost empty quite a lot of the time which is very unusual. I hope that this was just a blip and that by the time you cruise things will be better, but I will not cruise on the dream again.

There seem's to be a lot of reviews in dec/jan of a continuing sickness bug on the Dream,does anybody know what Marella are doing about it ?, have read reports re "deep cleaning" but is it getting results ?? on dream early March so have concerns !!

we are on the dream next month , first time with marella , cruised many times on other lines, going with an open mind, will enjoy it what ever , i will say that we have noticed on our last couple of cruises that standards have dropped on other lines , cut backs here and there , so fingers crossed we have a great week on the dream

• 1 month later...
Having read recent reviews I am also concerned about dropping standards on the Dream. We have sailed on her many times and accept she is an old ship but was looking forward to our repositioning cruse in April until reading lastest reviews. Has anyone been on her lately and can hopefully reassure me.

We have just returned from a week on the Dream and we had a great time, food was varied and good in Orion restaurant, entertainment great, Medusa lounge full every evening-hard to get a seat, pools open. Wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on the Dream!;)

Certainly the recent feed back has been very positive and we are looking forward to our trip on the 20th April. Just trying to plan our POC days in Maderia and Lisbon. Will probably just stroll around the Old Town areas with a few places of intrest to concentrate on. Lisbon is differcult as unsure where we are mooring.

We were on it last month, this was our first with Marella having sailed with P&O, RCCI, MSC & Disney on previous occasions and was very much looking forward and so wanting to enjoy it as they sail from our local port unlike most other lines. Unfortunately we were completely surprised at how bad it actually was in comparison. It certainly won't win any awards for cleanliness that's for sure. The food apart from paid restaurants was very poor and the evening shows were the worst excuse for entertainment I have ever seen with out of tune singers and slapdash put together performances. The bars were a bit drab something like a typical CIU club i.e. rough. Carpets were as old as the hills, the general Deco was just drab and tired and needed a good old wash. The complete opposite of what you would find on a 'normal' cruise ship. Reminds me of a ropey old cross channel ferry in some ways. Never again I'm afraid.

I hope though that somehow it improves for when your away and that you have a better time then we did.

Edited by mika6617
Submitted in error

We were on it last month, this was our first with Marella having sailed with P&O, RCCI, MSC & Disney on previous occasions and was very much looking forward and so wanting to enjoy it as they sail from our local port unlike most other lines. Unfortunately we were completely surprised at how bad it actually was in comparison. It certainly won't win any awards for cleanliness that's for sure. The food apart from paid restaurants was very poor and the evening shows were the worst excuse for entertainment I have ever seen with out of tune singers and slapdash put together performances. The bars were a bit drab something like a typical CIU club i.e. rough. Carpets were as old as the hills, the general Deco was just drab and tired and needed a good old wash. The complete opposite of what you would find on a 'normal' cruise ship. Reminds me of a ropey old cross channel ferry in some ways. Never again I'm afraid.

I hope though that somehow it improves for when your away and that you have a better time then we did.

Try the Discoveries and Explorer, IMO an order of magnitude better. I find the Dream OK and will be aboard next year.

It maybe being small minded but seeing how Marella does things I think I will be giving them a miss. I agree the ex RCCI ships do seem better indeed but I'm not fancying the with Marella's stamp on them as I would imagine Marella have there own ideas as to what entertainment is and what food quality is. I might be totally wrong but not prepared to take the rick.

It's also a matter of opinion as I've enjoyed both the food and entertainment on Marella cruises. I also noticed that from reviews of other cruise lines the same criticisms have been voiced.

While I agree that we all see things differently I must say that I agree with most of Mika6617's appraisal of the Dream.

We have tried both Discovery ships after many years with P&O and other lines and we really enjoyed them .

However a week on the Dream last year was one of our worst cruising experiences for generally the reasons Mika stated.

It is all about opinions and expectations I suppose

Cruised 4 times Ocean Village,5 times on The Dream,twice on The Majesty and once on Discovery.Every cruise has been different from the previous whether it be issues with food,entertainment,staff etc..but have had a great time on everyone irrespective.Without doubt The Discovery is aesthetically more pleasing than The Dream or The Majesty but it lacks atmosphere and the friendliness of either the dream or majesty which for us an important part of our holiday

Never had a perfect cruise where everything was A1

It maybe being small minded but seeing how Marella does things I think I will be giving them a miss. I agree the ex RCCI ships do seem better indeed but I'm not fancying the with Marella's stamp on them as I would imagine Marella have there own ideas as to what entertainment is and what food quality is. I might be totally wrong but not prepared to take the rick.

You are Totally Wrong. If you enjoyed Ocean Village and Ventura, you will enjoy Marella even more.

Well I've tried Marella and I didn't like them (as my post clearly states) however to say that I would based on enjoying Ventura and OV is irrelevant as OV although being very basic was very clean and tidy and had decent entertainment, Ventura on the other hand was (in my opinion) in a different world compared with my Marella experience. So no one can say I'm wrong other than me as it's me and my judgment and opinions. Remember we all have different expectations and possibly different standards which isn't a criticism of an individual just a fact. When I'm paying my hard earned cash I'd like value for money and what I experienced last month was wasn't.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Currently on Dream, the ship is nice but the entertainment is so LOUD we are currently unable to sleep; the entertainment staff seem to be a bunch of loud dumb blondes . There is no lounge where you can enjoy a quiet drink in the evening, we would enjoy the pianist in Explorers but we could hear the "singing" from the adjacent lounge over him. If you want a civilised cruise with a variety of entertainment this is not it. We have the programme for night 3 and more of the same, no sign of a comedian just blaring pop.... ( I am not old; I a young 50 something)

Currently on Dream, the ship is nice but the entertainment is so LOUD we are currently unable to sleep; the entertainment staff seem to be a bunch of loud dumb blondes . There is no lounge where you can enjoy a quiet drink in the evening, we would enjoy the pianist in Explorers but we could hear the "singing" from the adjacent lounge over him. If you want a civilised cruise with a variety of entertainment this is not it. We have the programme for night 3 and more of the same, no sign of a comedian just blaring pop.... ( I am not old; I a young 50 something)
I feel your pain, hope however it improves for you. You live and learn I suppose.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk