Iconic cruise

Hi All.

My wife and I are going on a Greek cruise in June on Discovery 2.

We are stopping at Santorini. It is a beautiful place but because we have visited Santorini before we would maybe like to go to a beach for the day when we dock.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a nearby beach or maybe any other ideas?

Thank you

The ship will be anchored and you will be on tender and will need to walk up a very steep path/take a donkey ride to the town - not recommended in June as it will be hot and there is little shade and most people don't agree with riding the poor donkeys The other route is by cable car From there you would have to take a taxi to the nearest beach unless you want to take a 400ft cliff dive into the sea for a swim!!! I don't know anyone on our 3 visits by cruise ship who went to a beach on Santorini I think this is because all the beaches are on the far side of the island and you need to get the last tender back to the ship 1 hr before departure and you also need to take into account the very long queues to get on the cable car to get back to the tender. I would google earth the island and see if you can see any beaches within a reasonable radius of the tender berth

We got a bus to Oia (after waiting for our allotted tender and queuing for the cable car!) but it was a bit of a scrum at the bus stop. And we were afraid to stay too long because of getting back, so not really relaxing.

I've heard there is a boat that takes you from the port to Oia now, but not sure where it goes from.

If you book a ship's excursion you get taken off first in the morning to a different docking area that the coaches can get to.

We used the trip by a boat which leaves from where the tender drops you. It takes you to a quay below Oia. Then a coach takes you up to Oia where you have ample free time then the coach takes you back to Thira where you can get the cable car back down to the tenders. This trip costs €20 per person (plus the cost of the cable car down) and the TUI/Marella trip was about £35 pp, also not including the cable car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We used the trip by a boat which leaves from where the tender drops you. It takes you to a quay below Oia. Then a coach takes you up to Oia where you have ample free time then the coach takes you back to Thira where you can get the cable car back down to the tenders. This trip costs €20 per person (plus the cost of the cable car down) and the TUI/Marella trip was about £35 pp, also not including the cable car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Recommended as the least stressful way. Santorini is a small island & known for a black beach at Kamari. Good bus services on the island too. But not a lot to see in Kamari although it is a lovely beach resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums