Junkanoo Questions

h3yitsvictoria

Hello! Going to Nassau in less than two weeks and I’m very interested in going to Junkanoo beach. I’m confused as to if it’s just a beach or a resort too. Are you able to sit out with like a towel or bring your own chair or do you pay to rent a chair? If it’s a resort, can you purchase an all inclusive day pass? Or do you just walk up to a restaurant for food/drinks? Are there things to do there? Like snorkel or kayak rentals?

Sorry for all the questions! Tell me everything you know about going to Junkanoo beach:-) thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Junkanoo is not a resort. It's a basic little public beach. It's popular because it's the only one walking distance from the cruise ship, basically.

There are various vendors that will sell you food, chairs, etc.

There is a cute little joint called Tiki Bikini Hut on Junkanoo Beach that will rent you a chair and /or umbrella for the day and they have bar food and cheap good drinks. Look it up on Trip Advisor for more info and pics.

Thanks for the info. I'm going there next month and will have to check them out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We did not like this beach all that much.

Pros: 10 minute walk from ship, free, can see ships anchored in port

Cons: a little rocky, views include rock wall, shipyard

The tiki bikini people are pushy. We paid $40 for 2 chairs and an umbrella along with 16 drinks. The chairs were wore out and the umbrella had a huge hole in it. They took it away as soon as the wind picked up.

We struggled to get them to bring drinks to us like promised. I had to go to bar each time. Drinks were weak and sugary. I drank 12 of our 16 myself and didn’t get a buzz. They are 8oz cups with heavy ice. The beer is local and rough but better than the watered down drinks.

If you want easy and free then try it out. Just don’t expect anything fancy.

Don’t get me wrong, we had fun and made the best of something disappointing but we won’t return this summer. We’re looking at something different.

Hello! Going to Nassau in less than two weeks and I’m very interested in going to Junkanoo beach. I’m confused as to if it’s just a beach or a resort too. Are you able to sit out with like a towel or bring your own chair or do you pay to rent a chair? If it’s a resort, can you purchase an all inclusive day pass? Or do you just walk up to a restaurant for food/drinks? Are there things to do there? Like snorkel or kayak rentals?

Sorry for all the questions! Tell me everything you know about going to Junkanoo beach:-) thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went there last year and had a great day. Its not a bad walk but I wouldn't carry my chair along. You go past the pirate museum, straw market, souvenir and jewelry stores, many pubs and fast food. The lunch shacks have good food and many will let you sample the jerk chicken or bbq for free. The guys that rented us our chairs were cool and have us a fair deal. Like $15 for 2 chairs and a few cold drinks. We rented a floating tricycle thing and had a good time. There's free WiFi and one of the nearby bars has little beach contests like limbo for free food or drinks. The beach is a little crowded but manageable. The water is rocky in spots but we snorkled just fine. All in all a good time.

We did not like this beach all that much.

Pros: 10 minute walk from ship, free, can see ships anchored in port

Cons: a little rocky, views include rock wall, shipyard

The tiki bikini people are pushy. We paid $40 for 2 chairs and an umbrella along with 16 drinks. The chairs were wore out and the umbrella had a huge hole in it. They took it away as soon as the wind picked up.

We struggled to get them to bring drinks to us like promised. I had to go to bar each time. Drinks were weak and sugary. I drank 12 of our 16 myself and didn’t get a buzz. They are 8oz cups with heavy ice. The beer is local and rough but better than the watered down drinks.

If you want easy and free then try it out. Just don’t expect anything fancy.

Don’t get me wrong, we had fun and made the best of something disappointing but we won’t return this summer. We’re looking at something different.

Just a simple case of "You get what you pay for" - there are obviously much better day pass options in Nassau that are spectacular, but if you want to wander over to the Junk beach near the ships, that's what you get, as you confirmed. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to Junkanoo. We bought a room at Baha Mar for next year, well worth the $215 + food/drinks in my opinion.

Just a simple case of "You get what you pay for" - there are obviously much better day pass options in Nassau that are spectacular, but if you want to wander over to the Junk beach near the ships, that's what you get, as you confirmed. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to Junkanoo. We bought a room at Baha Mar for next year, well worth the $215 + food/drinks in my opinion.

That's my point I guess. If you just want cheap and easy and don't mind the downside then it will be fine. You're on a cruise on an island in the Bahamas. It could be worse right?

I'll look at the Baha Mar. We're exploring options for our trip in July.

Walked to Junkanoo a few years ago, lots of debris on beach from previous hurricane. Easy walk and nice enough for a free beach.

Have since been to Cabbage beach twice. Its next to Atlantis and is a free public beach. You can rent chairs and umbrellas from vendors or not. Also drinks. No facilities, so you walk down to Atlantis and security there will let you use the washroom but they keep an eye on you to make sure you don't take a free tour of the resort. We did this our first time here and looked like a great resort, saw the shark tanks, walked through tunnels with sharks swimming above us, really neat. But I wouldn't pay what they want to actually visit there.

First time was great, nice waves, great weather. Second time it was a little windy, couldn't go in the water, lifeguards would come and tell you to get out, very dangerous waves. And the sand hitting you in the face, ouch.

Pushy vendors, just tell them no thanks and they move on. Just like everywhere else in the Caribbean, everyone's got to make a living.

We'll probably go back to Cabbage in March.

Tony and Debbie

I was just there a few days ago, on a very nice day. It's a basic beach, very calm as it's inside the harbor area. Yes, the Bahamians will call out to you but they are not super aggressive and take a polite no thanks well enough. If you go, keep walking as far as you can, the more distant sections are quieter. The beach was clean when I was there. As others have noted, you get what you pay for, nothing fancy here but if you are just looking for basic it's fine.

Thinking about going to Junkanoo as well. Is it a straight walk from the ship? I'll be going solo (female), is it safe to walk?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

You pretty much turn right as you walk out of the terminal and keep taking rights as you get to intersections until you see the beach. Safe to walk as lots of families and cruise pax go there. Sidewalks along the whole way. We'll be there in s couple of weeks again, last there in 2013

You pretty much turn right as you walk out of the terminal and keep taking rights as you get to intersections until you see the beach. Safe to walk as lots of families and cruise pax go there. Sidewalks along the whole way. We'll be there in s couple of weeks again, last there in 2013
Thank you! Got concerned with the travel warning couple of weeks ago

Thinking about going to Junkanoo as well. Is it a straight walk from the ship? I'll be going solo (female), is it safe to walk?

We were two women alone and never felt unsafe. I have to caution to look at google maps first so you understand where you are going. I just went off the ship with turn right in my head, figuring there would be signs etc. Not really. There is a large complex you have to walk around to get to the beach. We asked directions from the shop next to Senor Frog's and found our way from there. There were what I guess were tourism department workers on the sidewalk giving directions as you get closer. We walked back through the main shopping street and then turned left at the port entrance.

There are literally thousands of tourists in port at Nassau, just don't go anywhere off the beaten path without a guide and you should be fine. If I go back some time I would like to hire a guide and actually see the island.

We were two women alone and never felt unsafe. I have to caution to look at google maps first so you understand where you are going. I just went off the ship with turn right in my head, figuring there would be signs etc. Not really. There is a large complex you have to walk around to get to the beach. We asked directions from the shop next to Senor Frog's and found our way from there. There were what I guess were tourism department workers on the sidewalk giving directions as you get closer. We walked back through the main shopping street and then turned left at the port entrance.

There are literally thousands of tourists in port at Nassau, just don't go anywhere off the beaten path without a guide and you should be fine. If I go back some time I would like to hire a guide and actually see the island.

Thank you, this is helpful! I'm not good with directions in general. Did you and your friend like Junkanoo? Was the water warm?