Gift certificates for Canadian cruiser, CAD booking

moopetguy

Hello!

I made an effort to search through past threads, but didn't come up with an answer to fit my specific situation. I'm a Canadian cruiser, with upcoming cruises booked in CAD.

I know I can buy OBC through Gifts & Gear, but I can only do that by paying in CAD, and the exchange rate they're offering isn't good right now (1.30x). My other reason for not wanting to go that route is that I have some prepaid USD credit cards I'd like to use.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and knows by experience if it'd work. I was thinking to try buying RCI gift certificates, and having them emailed (instead of snail mailed). Then, the plan would be to redeem them myself to add OBC to my bookings. Or if as a Canadian cruiser, you have received a gift certificate, were you able to redeem it to your CAD booking? (That would at least answer the second part of my inquiry.)

Yes, I know the gift certificates are generally a pain. And yes, I know the Terms and Conditions for gift certificates say they're for U.S. residents only. But I wonder if it really matters when you call them on the phone? I mean, couldn't I just give them my friend's or relative's U.S. street address, if they even bother asking? (I've found that over-the-phone credit card transactions don't always require address confirmation.)

I know these RCI gift certificates aren't exactly the same thing, but I have received OBC certificates from RCI customer service in the past and have had no issues applying them to previous CAD bookings by calling and providing the certificate numbers (of the form "1-XXXXXXX" (the Xs represent numbers or letters)).

Thank you :)