ice wine

meow!

There are two Eiswien generics. One is a non-alcohol brand wine. I don't think that's the one being discussed here.

True Eiswien (never called Ice Wine that I've ever seen!) is a sweet desert wine produced in Austria and Germany largely for local consumption. It's a celebration of "winter" and is a part of a wonderful local ritual and tradition that seems almost unknown outside the areas.

Grapes are left on the vine specifically for the purpose and when rotting the grapes are picked during the night in mid-winter when the grapes are frozen solid. They must be pressed whilst still frozen hence the name. The juice is extracted and when at it's best a very clear sweet wine - almost the colour of water is produced. As I say it's a bit of a tradition and very few bottles are made. It's very sweet and the very best wines are not sold. If you can buy them they are sold in 37.5 (1/2 bottles) only and are very expensive. Cheaper wines are available - and a rough guide to quality is that the closer to Chardonay colour the cheaper.

I have just one bottle left of nectar from a case I prised out of the fingers of one very unwilling vinyard owner. I can't bare to open it but I guess this Christmas with the pud might just do it.

I wouldn't be suprised if a copy of this was simulated in a factory somewhere in the US - and I know that other countries produce stuff called the same - but I have never tasted anything like the real thing.

Hope that helps.

It's very unlikely that Silversea will have them on the standard list - but I guess we hope that Meouw will soon go on the boat and be able to provide the definitive trivia Q&A on all topics pertaining Silversea! Thank you!

[quote name='swingdoc3'][font=Arial]Yes they have Icewine or Eiswein in Germany, but no it's not on the standard list. If I recall from when I was on the ship it was about $100 a bottle.[/font][/QUOTE]

........... 1/2 bottle? I've never seen German Eiswein in full bottles?

uk1,

On this side of the Atlantic there is a whole ice wine industry in Canada, notably from the Niagara region of Ontario. They actually make some very fine ice wines at greatly reduced cost from the German orginals and they are generally called "ice" wines.

[quote name='bdmarine']uk1,

On this side of the Atlantic there is a whole ice wine industry in Canada, notably from the Niagara region of Ontario. They actually make some very fine ice wines at greatly reduced cost from the German orginals and they are generally called "ice" wines.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of the Famous Canadian Ice Wine Industry - (heaven help us) and call me a cynical old bugger - but I often find that many people think that copies are good without ever having experienced the original.

I can feel another ancient thread being resurected ....... but if the same people who think that frozen meat is as good as fresh meat think that Canadian Ice Wine is as good (or even nearly as good) as european natural Eiswien then I think we should have an election and send the troops.

Only joking as usual.

[quote name='uk1']I can feel another ancient thread being resurected ....... but if the same people who think that frozen meat is as good as fresh meat...[/QUOTE]

I just hope you'll concede that Eiswein should have a label that reads, "Made from frozen grape concentrate." :-)

uk1,

You're probably right. I am not particularly enamored of sweet wines and I have never tasted the original German product. I guess I fell under the spell of the very hospitable Canadian couple who guided me through the tasting.

As for copies never being as good as the originals, one only has to drive a Mazda Miata to see how far off the mark they are from the original MG's and TR's, -- no shaky chassis, cranky drivetrain, balky top opening, unreliable electrical system, weekly carburetor tunings, loose assembly tolerances, etc.

I hate sweet wines ..... but I promise you that you must try a bottle (sorry half bottle) of expensive german / austrian Eiswien at least once before you clock in for the last time. It is unique and nothing like any of the other copies or desert wines. And oddly it has to be almost frozen to drink it - but I gessthat people that know more will argue - and they're probably right.

You're right of course re the cars. Anyone who ever tried the orignal lotus elan compared to that little mazda ...... my daughter bought a little mazda and I tried to explain to her about Emma Rigg and the Lotus Elan and she correctly concluded I was barmy.

I think it's right to be open minded about Canadians - particlarlyl when they are friendly and hospitable. But their efforts with wine!? Elk, reindeer, ice cubes, maple syrup ok ..... but wine?!

One day BD and his better half will find themselves on a Silver something with Mrs UK and me and I'll introduce you to real Eiswien if such a thing is on board. Or I'll smuggle one on board.

That link is a riot, goeurope! Surely there is a gift bottle of that gathering dust on somebody's shelf.

UK, my better half and I would be delighted to join you in an Eiswein on a Silversea cruise one day. I speak of British cars as an experienced owner of Jaguar XK-150s and E Types. I loved them, but they kept me in the garage for all of my spare time.

Archived