Women's Formal Dress

canadagal

We rehashed and regurgitated the tux thread to death so I was wondering what everyone's views were on the formal dress code for women. Do you notice a difference in dress depending on the itinerary? For example would you find that formal dress with a European itinerary to be more dressier then say a Caribbean itinerary? Also, would there be more long evening, ball gowns then let's say short black dresses with pearls or dressy slacks and sequinned blouse. Just trying to get an idea on how formal is formal as I have noticed on other lux lines that it can very widely from destination to destination. Any comments would be appreciated and let me state upfront that I am not trying to push one dress code over the other.

You should check out the earlier thread... The end result was the same. Wear what you feel comfortable with, there will be a wide range of what is deemed formal, informal and casual. At risk of misinterpreting pages of comments, I will summarize as follows:

DINNER:

FORMAL: anywhere from beaded/fancy long dresses, fancy cocktail length, to dressy pantsuits. Most are long-dresses, but not those that you'd see at the Oscar Award ceremonies. I believe we've covered mens' wear adequately - most are in tuxes, some in nice dark suits.

INFORMAL: women wear cocktail dresses or pant suits. men wear suits.

CASUAL: country club attire. Though jeans are seen (on younger passengers) during the day, I don't recall seeing them at dinner. Pants or skirts for women. Haven't seen any skirts on men, though I suspect some on this board might give it a shot.

LUNCH & BREAKFAST:

pretty much anything goes, within reason of course. shirts and shoes are required. but, in the South Pacific, I typically went to lunch in a sarong and small, small top to cover my bathing suit. Most common look is a polo-type top or t-shirt from previous destination port and shorts (in warm climes.)

EMBARKATION:

since dinners on embarkation night are casual, and dinners prior to disembarkation are casual (and you've probably packed all the rest of your clothes away to be set outside your door) it makes sense to wear an outfit that you will be comfortable eating dinner in, assuming you don't want to change prior to dinner. Nice casual pants and comfortable, attractive shirts are the norm.

And, I forgot to mention jewelry... There are two types of passengers - the ones with jewels brought aboard because, "what's the sense in having them if you don't wear them???" and the ones that don't wear fine jewelry because they either don't have it, or prefer to leave them in a safe at home when travelling. I'd say about 1/4 of the women have some "serious" jewelry. But, I heard people talk about one passenger who had some VERY flashy diamonds - big, beautiful, and abundant earrings, rings, bracelets the size of shirt cuffs, and a brooch that the Duchess of Windsor would admire. You couldn't miss this particular passenger, particularly since she looked about 20 years younger than her husband, and... well, there can be such a thing as wearing too much jewelry on a Silversea cruise.

Thanks for your comments. Seas the day, I especially appreciate your comments about jewellry and thanks for clarifying the difference between long dresses and the oscar type of attire. Helped quite a bit!

Seas of the Day....wash out your mouth with soap! A woman never can have toooo much jewelry...AND..she doesn't have to be a young Trophy to wear it!

I love jewelry, and want more. But, I do think that, like clothing, some pieces are more appropriate to wear at certain times than others. This woman went overboard - not only with jewelry, but also plastic surgery. She was probably about 60 (hard to tell) and her husband looked about 80. She glittered at the pool.

But, if you would ask me if I wanted her jewelry, I'd have to answer a resounding "yes!" So my reaction could be sour grapes, but really I don't think so. I just think there's a time and a place for things, and that sometimes less is more.

Seas... sorry I didnt see the other thread either. It is good to know that I wouldnt have to go out and get a proper ball gown for our Whisper cruise. By reading what everyone wrote I too have a better idea.

LaPaloma - you go girl!! A woman can never have enough jewelry. While I dont think I will bring all my baubles for our Whisper cruise, I do plan to wear my favorite necklace on my Seabourn cruise. I hardly ever get to wear it at home. But Seas is right - the way she described that woman, less would definetly be more...

Seas.... thanks for the words of encouragement. I still wont bring my favorite baubles on our SS cruise. Too long of a distance, and too much to schlep with me. And Glenda, I wish I had a diamond bracelet, but unfortunately I dont. Just a necklace that I created from jewelry of my mothers. When I wear it, it reminds me of her. I know she is in heaven looking down smiling when I wear it. As she always said, jewelry is meant to be worn, not hidden in a safe somewhere.

Now Glenda hun, please dont confuse cruises - my Tiara is needed for my Seabourn cruise, not our Whisper cruise. MarthaB and I will be standing topside wearing our Tiaras together...champagne flutes in hand watching all the glorious sites of NYC as we sailaway..... Others are welcome to wear theirs as well. And sorry to say, nope my tiara isnt real. But one can pretend cant one?

Archived