When will the Noordam receive a face lift???

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:14 PM.
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,751 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
When, if at all, will the Noordam's Crow's Nest be changed into the EXC-type facility that in now on the Westerdam? Anyone know?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
California
1,099 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
According to our dining steward on the Noordam in June, dry dock on the Noordam has been delayed so I don't think it will happen soon....maybe another year. They were replacing the carpet on the staircases while we were onboard.
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,751 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by oaktreerb
According to our dining steward on the Noordam in June, dry dock on the Noordam has been delayed so I don't think it will happen soon....maybe another year. They were replacing the carpet on the staircases while we were onboard.
Thanks for the information.

Unless the regulations have changed, ships must undergo two dry dockings within a 5 year period. It is then, I believe, that major alterations to the ships take place because the dry dockings take a minimum of two weeks to be completed (and hopefully, at that time).

Interior refreshments such as carpet replacement, etc. are a constant and cruise guests ought to expect this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Canada
911 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I was surprised it hadn't had one for awhile, As newer ships like the Eurodam have. We were on recently and nothing had changed since our time on her nearly 10 years ago. She still looked okay in the public spaces but the suites are tired and need updating.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam, Northbound Alaska 2017
Queen Victoria, Mediterranean 2016
Royal Princess, Southern Caribbean 2015
Rotterdam, Norway, 2013
Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern and Western Med, 2012
Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean, 2011
Ruby Princess, Southern Caribbean, 2010
Emerald Princess, Baltic & Berlin, 2009
Noordam, Western & Eastern Mediterranean 2008
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean, 2006
Grand Princess, Greek Isles, 2005
Grand Princess, Baltic & Oslo, 2004
Norwegian Wind, Alaska, 2001
City of Angels, CA
28,430 Posts
Joined May 2005
Noordam had her last dry-dock in the spring of 2015 at Freeport between 10-19 APR 2015. If you look at the HAL site, she shows two deck plans; one prior to 20 May 2018 and one after, which would fit the timing for her next dry-dock. Interestingly enough, the HAL site does not show any gaps in her schedule during May 2018. The 'after 20 May' deck plan does show her with the“Music Walk” concept, “Billboard Onboard,” and theGallery (Arts) Bar instead of the Northern Lights nightclub, so the jury is still out how/where that will be accomplished

Second interesting part of that is that on 20 May 2018 she'll be in the Pacific Northwest during the early part of next year's Alaska season. Options for a dry-dock there are either in Esquimalt, BC (Victoria shipyards) or in Vancouver, BC (Vancouver shipyards). The last time a HAL ship was in Esquimalt was in 2011 and in Vancouver even longer, a wet dock for Statendam in 2004.

As a side note, she's the only Vista with her Explorations Cafe still on Deck 3 and an Oak Room inside the Crow's Nest
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email - [email protected]

Total days onboard:
Holland America Line: 1,548

Royal Caribbean International: 83
Princess Cruise Line: 31
Cunard Line: 15
Carnival Cruise Line: 10
399 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
When the summer 2018 schedules were originally released, there was a gap from when she arrived in Vancouver and the Alaska cruises started. I posted about it since I was in the process of picking an Alaska cruise, and we were thinking that's when the dry dock would happen. However, since then, they added the two RT Vancouver cruises, so I guess they changed their minds.
Canada
911 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Thanks Copper for the info. I guess that's why the public spaces looked good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam, Northbound Alaska 2017
Queen Victoria, Mediterranean 2016
Royal Princess, Southern Caribbean 2015
Rotterdam, Norway, 2013
Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern and Western Med, 2012
Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean, 2011
Ruby Princess, Southern Caribbean, 2010
Emerald Princess, Baltic & Berlin, 2009
Noordam, Western & Eastern Mediterranean 2008
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean, 2006
Grand Princess, Greek Isles, 2005
Grand Princess, Baltic & Oslo, 2004
Norwegian Wind, Alaska, 2001
Florida
114 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Copper10-8
Noordam had her last dry-dock in the spring of 2015 at Freeport between 10-19 APR 2015. If you look at the HAL site, she shows two deck plans; one prior to 20 May 2018 and one after, which would fit the timing for her next dry-dock. Interestingly enough, the HAL site does not show any gaps in her schedule during May 2018. The 'after 20 May' deck plan does show her with the“Music Walk” concept, “Billboard Onboard,” and theGallery (Arts) Bar instead of the Northern Lights nightclub, so the jury is still out how/where that will be accomplished

Second interesting part of that is that on 20 May 2018 she'll be in the Pacific Northwest during the early part of next year's Alaska season. Options for a dry-dock there are either in Esquimalt, BC (Victoria shipyards) or in Vancouver, BC (Vancouver shipyards). The last time a HAL ship was in Esquimalt was in 2011 and in Vancouver even longer, a wet dock for Statendam in 2004.

As a side note, she's the only Vista with her Explorations Cafe still on Deck 3 and an Oak Room inside the Crow's Nest
Thank you Copper 10-8, We will be on the Noordam on June 3, 2018. Was hoping that it would she would be in dry-dock before we get on.
399 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by CAVE MAN
Thank you Copper 10-8, We will be on the Noordam on June 3, 2018. Was hoping that it would she would be in dry-dock before we get on.
I will be on it the next week. I had picked that date and ship because I thought it was going to be right out of dry dock. Oh well!!! Prices for signature suites are nowhere near what I have right now, so I'm sticking w/ what I have.
Port Ludlow, Washington
317 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I went on the HAL website looking to book on the Noordam for Dec. 2018. There are two PDF's, one after May 2018 for the Deck Plans. Wouldn't this indicate a dry dock and some changes?
Space Coast FL
25,143 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Galley Slave
I went on the HAL website looking to book on the Noordam for Dec. 2018. There are two PDF's, one after May 2018 for the Deck Plans. Wouldn't this indicate a dry dock and some changes?
As mentioned in post #8, that was the original plan, but if you look at the the 2018 schedule now there are no gaps.
Arizona
1,322 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by jtl513
As mentioned in post #8, that was the original plan, but if you look at the the 2018 schedule now there are no gaps.
Thank you for your post. Must say I'm very disappointed as I took online ship deck layouts on the HAL web site as being accurate and was expecting the enhancements shown there for our November 2018 sailing.
Texas
3 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
When I looked at deck plans for the Noordam, there were two listed online........one before May 2018 and one after May, 2018. So I assume the ship is going into drydock sometime in May, 2018. We have a cruise June 10, 2018 on the Noordam and are excited to see the new furnishings, bedding, carpet, etc.
399 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by txdtubbs
When I looked at deck plans for the Noordam, there were two listed online........one before May 2018 and one after May, 2018. So I assume the ship is going into drydock sometime in May, 2018. We have a cruise June 10, 2018 on the Noordam and are excited to see the new furnishings, bedding, carpet, etc.
That's the cruise I will be on. I booked it in hopes of getting the new suite furnishings, but that is not to be. The ended up scheduling two cruises during the vacant time after they arrive in Vancouver in May, so unless they cancel them, there will be no time to dry dock.
754 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by alwaysfrantic
It needs its dry dock. I will say it's pretty old and tired.
I completely agree. It seemed overdue in May
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It can hardly be coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport" -- Douglas Adams
Space Coast FL
25,143 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by txdtubbs
So I assume the ship is going into drydock sometime in May, 2018.
That was the original plan. The present schedule shows no dry dock in May.
6 > 12 May round trip Vancouver
12 > 20 May round trip Vancouver
20 > 27 May Vancouver to Seward
27 May > 3 Jun Seward to Vancouver
3 > 10 Jun Vancouver to Seward
10 > 17 Jun Seward to Vancouver

Don't expect to see anything new when you board Jun 10 unless they cancel some cruises.