Rude or what?

Summergee

We have just completed the Baltic cruise on Queen Victoria.

Near the end of the first week my son wrote to the entertainment director asking if he could see round the sound and lighting set up for the theatre and tv studio. When he handed it in at the pursers desk he was told about the ship tour. He was also told they would pass on his letter. He is still waiting for a reply!

Near the end of the first week my son wrote to the entertainment director asking if he could see round the sound and lighting set up for the theatre and tv studio. When he handed it in at the pursers desk he was told about the ship tour. He was also told they would pass on his letter. He is still waiting for a reply!

Your son could have booked the tour.

It's unfortunate that your son never heard from the Entertainment Director, and there certainly could be any number of perfectly reasonable explanations as to why.

I applaud your son for taking the initiative to write the letter. You must be very proud. I worked in both theater and in production at a TV studio. I hope your son will continue to focus his initiative and reach out to folks in this field, in which he must be very interested in learning more about.

There certainly are some folks who would be more than happy to share their experiences and wealth of information in these fields, especially those associated with theater and TV at universities and other areas of higher learning. Hopefully he will work to find and form connections with these folks.

Best of luck to you. Other than this, I hope you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your experience on Queen Victoria!

I would have thought they would have had the decency to reply. How old is your son?

Writing a letter makes a lot of sense on land where people are often far away. But on a ship, even on a large one like the QV, it's often more efficient to talk to people. This need not be the Entertainment Director or other top brass, but could also be the Lord of Darkness (aka the gaffer) or somebody else involved in the production.

Personally I find it quite easy to make contact to senior officers on Cunard ships. I've even been asked my opinion by some, right out of the blue. Also, it's quite easy to contact them if you wish to give (positive) feedback on crew members.

Also, you should keep in mind that only the captain has his own secretary. This means that if you write to the Captain, his or her secretary will answer for sure. It's a bit more difficult with the other officers. Also, if your son has not left an address or an email on his letter, it might be difficult for the Entertainment Director to get back to you, because she or he might not have access to your personal data or would at least need to obtain your address first.

I'd recommend your son to walk up to the relevant person and ask whatever he wants to know.

SUMMERGEE,

I think it was very well mannered and polite for your son to write the note, requesting a tour of some sort, ( for what he was interested in --sound + lighting).

Its inexcusable that no reply was sent to him. I think one answer - from, PORT ROYAL was WAAAAAY off base..... your son didn't have the $$$, I am sure, to book the behind the scenes tour, which is not cheap. And, he wasn't interested in ALL of that.

I hope this rude slight / being ignored / won't discourage him from reaching out, in a similar manner, in the future.

As I described in my post about the nighttime entertainment in the Commodore Club, the OPs experiences echoes mine. Cunard culture seems averse to customer contact and the general attitude has moved from stiff upper lip, through aloof, to dismissive in many cases.

In my first note, I alerted the entertainment director with a concern about the programming, I received no reply, but it did appear that a change was made. I sent a thank you note. Again, no acknowledgement.

Darkness (aka the gaffer) or somebody else involved in the production.

Also, you should keep in mind that only the captain has his own secretary. wants to know.

All the heads of departments have secretary. I also have experience of senior officers of being very aloof and buck passing.

I believe he did the correct thing in sending a letter.

There have been a couple of times when I spoke to someone at Reception saying I wanted to leave a compliment, e.g. with Head of Housekeeping for one of the staff. I was told to write a letter and was offered a piece of their paper and an envelope. At no time was I given the opportunity to talk to the person directly.

Perhaps things have changed in recent years, but for years, a note has been the standard way to contact an officer or member of the crew.

Personally, I would also prefer to make my request or complaint in writing so it is clear and to not complicate a social event with a passenger issue.

(But - so much for my rationale for leaving a note. It's not as if I can point to success to justify it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Same one on now. She has walked past on several occasions and failed to speak until we have said Hello first. We commented to each other that if the guys hoovering at midnight can speak to us then surely the Director of Entertainment can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be interested if you can remember who the entertainment director was, we are doing the same cruise later this month. I would be amazed if it was not who I think.:rolleyes:

I would be interested if you can remember who the entertainment director was, we are doing the same cruise later this month. I would be amazed if it was not who I think.:rolleyes:
The OP has already said they don't want to post the name.

This thread is now closed.