World Cruise Sectors

Colin_Cameron

Does anyone know how (or where) the sectors are defined?

Specifically looking at QM2 Perth to Southampton in 2020. It can also be bought as Perth to Cape Town and Cape Town to Southampton (which for the cabin grade we're looking at, but not all, is marginally cheaper). Does the fact that they can be booked separately make them different sectors?

If they are separate sectors then booking as a single cruise or two separate cruises would make no difference as far as WC benefits go but if they are a single sector then booking the two separately would double your WC benefits.

Does anyone know if Shareholder Benefit is also applied per sector?

I'm planning on calling Cunard in the morning but thought I'd try here first.:D

Colin.

Hi, we were on a WC segment in 2015 and it had several segments within it, but when each segment started so did a new round of WC benefits (Platinum at the time); i.e., internet time, wine tasting, etc. Since we booked as one cruise there was only the one OBC applied.

I don't have shareholder benefits so can't help you on that one.

Before our cruise I specifically asked Cunard via email about the sectors for our cruise and basically their answer was the same as the sectors we observed on their website (FLL - SFO, SFO-SYD, etc). I hope they will give you a more succinct answer to that question for you.

Happy Planning for 2020!

Barbara

I called Southampton on Thursday and had a very frustrating time talking to someone who appeared to be deliberately misunderstanding what I wanted to know and giving vague and contradictory non-answers. I ended up with the feeling that a village somewhere was missing its idiot.

My wife called on Friday and got a different person and a straightforward answer. "We don't know. Yes, the World Cruise is still divided into sectors but we are no longer told where they start and end. I've worked here for XX years and we've always known what the sectors were, but no more. You will find out onboard."

So it looks like booking them separately is the way to go.

Thanks for your replies, Colin.

Our experience (which I admit is dated) has been that initially WCs aren't marketed as many short segments. As time goes on (and presumedly longer segments aren't sold) then shorter segments are offered.

We sailed on a 36-day LA to LA in 2013 (with New Zealand as mid-point) that we booked as a single voyage. We called, asking about having our voyage "broken" into segments (when such segments were offered) without receiving a positive response. Then, (surprise!) we were credited with a separate voyage when we got to New Zealand and upgraded to our platinum status. The purser even replaced our cabin-cards with ones of the appropriate platinum color.

We are in the US---I don't know if that makes any difference.

I agree with booking early and having accommodations secured, but (at least in the US) we have found Cunard willing to make alterations (including better fares) with follow-up phone calls.

And, yes, making the phone calls can be frustrating!

Have a wonderful voyage!

• 2 weeks later...

We are shareholders and booked an Around South America by sector because we could not get the cabin we wanted all the way. We got WC benefits per sector and 4 X shareholders. The OBC was also substantially more by sectors as opposed to one booking.

We have booked again one cabin all the way but in 4 sectors as it is a no brainer.

Are sectors and segments different things? I don't see where there can be confusion about the latter. The terminology in this thread varies.

No, they're the same thing - parts of a longer Cruise.

It used to be segments could be as short as a few days. Sectors tend to be much longer, often about 5 on a whole world voyage, and generally where there is a BIG turnover eg San Francisco, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai - on the traditional world voyage.

And also where accounts needed to be settled and World Club benefits renewed.