Anyone remember this crane from it's time in Long Beach

Buck Turgidson

Titan, better known by its former nickname Herman the German (US Navy designation YD-171), is a large floating crane currently serving in the Panama Canal Zone performing heavy lifts for lock maintenance. Prior to its move to Panama in 1996, the crane was based at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard (LBNSY) from the end of World War II until the closure of LBNSY in 1995. It was seized from the German Kriegsmarine following the end of World War II as part of war repatriations. The crane was built by Demag Cranes AG as Schwimmkran nr. 1 in 1941 for the Kriegsmarine, where it had served in the Baltic Sea tending German U-boats.[1][2]

The crane was one of four sister ships, two of which are still afloat and in service.

I had a picture but couldn't get it to post, I'll be looking for the crane when I'm in the canal next month

Edited by Buck Turgidson

Well I don't remember Herman from its time in Long Beach, but I remember it from the time when it became known as the Titan. Guess somehow the Canal has always had a relationship with German heavy lift cranes. Originally the Canal had two heavy lift cranes of 250 tons which were built in Germany and brought to the Canal in 1914. The Hercules and Ajax arrived at the Canal in 1914 and were both built by Deutsche Maschinenbau which eventually became part of Demag. The Ajax was sold off in the 1950s and the Hercules remained in active service with the Canal until the Titan arrived in 1996 when it was placed in reserve.

Normally if the Titan is not being used she is stationed in Gamboa which is where the Canal's dredging operations are based. Gamboa is about mid point of the Canal, depending on the direction you are going it is just after leaving Gaillard Cut, (northbound) or just before entering the Cut (southbound).

Here is a picture of her at her moorings at Gamboa...

a254r4.jpg

Titan, better known by its former nickname Herman the German (US Navy designation YD-171), is a large floating crane currently serving in the Panama Canal Zone performing heavy lifts for lock maintenance. Prior to its move to Panama in 1996, the crane was based at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard (LBNSY) from the end of World War II until the closure of LBNSY in 1995. It was seized from the German Kriegsmarine following the end of World War II as part of war repatriations. The crane was built by Demag Cranes AG as Schwimmkran nr. 1 in 1941 for the Kriegsmarine, where it had served in the Baltic Sea tending German U-boats.[1][2]

The crane was one of four sister ships, two of which are still afloat and in service.

I had a picture but couldn't get it to post, I'll be looking for the crane when I'm in the canal next month

Interesting info, thanks!

Here is a short video of the Titan removing a miter gate at Miraflores Locks during a recent lane outage. What you see here is the Titan has removed the miter gate from the pintle ball and yoke casting in preparation for the miter gate to be taken to the dry dock for overhaul. What happens next is the gate will be laid over and floated like a barge and then moved to the dry dock.

The Titan can only lift 350 tons and that particular miter gate weighs 700 tons, it is not possible for the crane to lift the gate completely out of the water. Lifting the gate off the pintle ball and laying it over is done within the 350 ton limit.

This gate is at the east side sea entrance to Miraflores Locks.