Australia, Fiji dive/snorkel

Almost Packed

Hi there. I have several questions and need some help. I am currently looking to book a cruise on RC in April out of Sydney. 11 night South Pacific Voyager of the Seas

My bucket list is to dive/snorkel The Great Barrier Reef. I cannot be that close to it and NOT do it. I am not a certified diver. I have been on many beginner scuba dives. Probably around 8 or so. I have snorkeled many times as well. My husband has a heart condition and is unable to dive. He also is not a fan of snorkeling unless he's near the shore. I think he's a little chicken. hehe. I want to get certified but I have no one to go with me.

This cruise goes to Lifou, Noumea, Suava & Lautoka. Finding info on these ports are very challenging. I have gone on to RC site to look at excursions (I have not booked) so I cannot or do not see ANY excursions for dives or snorkeling. Am I missing something? I should also say this will be my first time cruising on RC. I have cruised many times on CCL. So I don't know if they "do" excursions differently meaning you cannot see excursions until fully booked/deposited.

I have to get to the GBR to either dive or snorkel. I am okay either way...beginner dive or snorkeling. Suggestions? I am thinking we will have to fly from Sydney to Cairns.? Stinger season? Should this deter me? My husband has zero desire to go out the the GBR so I will be solo. I then will need to find something for him to do while I am out marking things off of my bucket list.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Tour guide recommendations? Suggestions. HELP!

Thanks in advance.

First, I would strongly recommend you go ahead and get your Open Water Diver certification before the trip. Of course we're coming into the off-season for doing your check dives locally in most of the continental US, but there are always options.

Australia: You're already clear that you've got some travel to do to get to the Great Barrier Reef. On the plus side booking dives there should be no problem. At Sydney, it's more of a thing, since April is considered after the end of their season for local diving.

Lifou/Noumea: I too tried to book dives there, without success. There are operators, but literally none ever replied to email. I then tried to call several, but alas I speak no French, and so wasn't able to get anywhere. If I go back, I will find a French speaker to translate for me, and set things up by phone. The diving at both looked like it would be worth the hassle.

Fiji: The diving for which Fiji is famous is not on the main island

Lautoka: No diving there. Don't even bother. A good port for some other excursion.

Suva: About the only game in town is Greg Buxton at Suva Scuba. The web site appears to have gone away, but there is a facebook page, through which you can contact him https://www.facebook.com/SuvaScubaDiveClub/. The diving there was pretty good, and since I've been there a ship sank in the harbor that they are now diving as well.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 3 weeks later...

I just took a quick look and agree, RC's site is sucky for checking out excursions prior to booking.

Can't help you with Australia, but with regard to Fiji, Port Denarau is about an hour from Lautoka. (depends on how long you are in port.) There are snorkel cruises that leave from Port Denarau if you wanted to inquire, Coral Cats for one.

Or if not, non-RC excursions might be the key.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Denarau-Island/Savala-Island-Day-Cruise-from-Denarau/d22972-45070P1

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/excursions/?port=SPLA&date=2018-04-10

• 4 months later...

Hi there, we will be on the transpacific in April 2018 on RC Explorer of the Seas which will have similar itinerary as yours (Almost Packed) for the first few ports - Lifou, Noumea, Suva, Lautoka....

We too tried to call and email few dive shops and no luck at as yet.

Still hoping and if i get any I shall share and hope vice versa!

Thanks!