Alaska 2019

ChildofPisces

Just got back from our first cruise on Princess and we put a future cruise deposit down. We were thinking of Alaska in 2019. We definitely want a balcony, and to go round trip from Seattle.

I have a few questions.

What is the difference in Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord?

We absolutely want to go while the whales and salmon are migrating. What time of year is best for this? We were thinking mid to late July.

Any other Alaska tips would be helpful as well, I’ve only ever cruised the Caribbean, and am looking forward to a different type of cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are dozens of tips on Alaska here...tons of info.

The whales "migrate" to Alaska in the spring, and away in the fall. They are there in summer. I am not sure you want to see them when they are migrating, rather you want to see them when they are there.

What is the difference in Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord?

We absolutely want to go while the whales and salmon are migrating. What time of year is best for this? We were thinking mid to late July.

Any other Alaska tips would be helpful as well, I’ve only ever cruised the Caribbean, and am looking forward to a different type of cruise.

Glacier Bay offers the best glacier viewing experience as you are surrounded by the glaciers. Tracy Arm is an example of glacier extinction.... where the Sawyer glacier has retreated 31 miles revealing opportunities to see some wildlife in the Fjord.

Late July will offer the better salmon viewing viewing experience with the migration.