**NEW** Wine (by the bottle) Pricing List and Market Comparisons

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 PM.
Diamond Bar, CA
933 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
[quote=steelers36;54562140]
Originally posted by USCcruisecrazy

Great idea on the champagne or sparkling wine. The Princess champagne offerings also have some of the highest markups, naturally. But a lot of restaurants do the same as they anticipate customers are ordering to celebrate something or other and price becomes less of a concern. I will probably bring some sparkling on as well, but it's just fun to have sometimes and doesn't need a celebration.
Again, the Pricess markup on Champagnes can be related to the price. The markup on Korbel Brut (Let's not get into the discussion of whether or not Korbel is Champagne. It says "Champagne" on the label.) is egregious. However, the markup on Dom is acrually a reasoanble 50%.

I am the poster boy for having sparklers for a celebration. The XBGuys sailaway practice is to have a sparkling wine on our balcony. On our last cruise we had to fly to the port, and, so, I only brought two bottles on board. Since the bottles for sparkling wines are particularly heavy, the ones I brought were still wines. So, to maintain our sailaway tradition, I pre-ordered a bottle of Dom to be delivered to our cabin. Mrs. XBGuy was very impressed and very pleased. On our next cruise, in two weeks, we are leaving out of the local port. I have an idea of what wines I will be bringing on board, and the California sparkler is, definitely already identified.

Originally posted by steelers36

IMO, the food [on Princess] generally doesn't rise to a level of having or needing fine wine.

I would like to offer an alternative opinion, just for the sake of discussion.

I have been chastised on internet wine boards for offering the opinion that one should drink the wine you like to drink with the food you like to eat. While there is some merit to wine/food pairing, that concept is quite overrated.

Wine can elevate the dining experience. My cooking at home is, certainly, not Michelin star level, but that is not going to stop me from going "deep into the cellar," if the spirit moves me.

Any "wine geek" who has cruised on Princess more than twice finds the Princess wine list to be pretty pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, there are little gems there, but I don't particularly want to drink the same wine every night. Also, I am not criticizing Princess' strategy in building their wine lists. I am perfectly willing to believe that they know their customer demographic better than I do.

Also, believe me when I tell you, I am not a man of extraordinary economic means. So, I am not bringing Petrus, or Screagle or DRC on board. I am bringing (mostly) domestic wines--some of which are found relatively easily on retail store shelves and some of which can only be procured directly from the winery.

So, to summarize my philosophy, let's say that "better wines" (avoiding the definition of "fine wines") are an enhancement to my dining experience.

I am also going to come at this from a slightly different angle.

On our last cruise we made our first ever visit to the Crab Shack. Beleive me, we are one and done with the Crab Shack. The meal was our least favorite on that cruise. The appalling thing, however, is that the wine list for the Crab Shack is quite abbreviated. I truly wish I had anything better than the best I could find on that list.

The views above are just opinions. There is no science or logic behind them. With all the above and a couple bucks, I can buy a cup of coffee.
Oakville, ON
2,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
[quote=XBGuy;54567937]

Again, the Pricess markup on Champagnes can be related to the price. The markup on Korbel Brut (Let's not get into the discussion of whether or not Korbel is Champagne. It says "Champagne" on the label.) is egregious. However, the markup on Dom is acrually a reasoanble 50%.

I am the poster boy for having sparklers for a celebration. The XBGuys sailaway practice is to have a sparkling wine on our balcony. On our last cruise we had to fly to the port, and, so, I only brought two bottles on board. Since the bottles for sparkling wines are particularly heavy, the ones I brought were still wines. So, to maintain our sailaway tradition, I pre-ordered a bottle of Dom to be delivered to our cabin. Mrs. XBGuy was very impressed and very pleased. On our next cruise, in two weeks, we are leaving out of the local port. I have an idea of what wines I will be bringing on board, and the California sparkler is, definitely already identified.

I would like to offer an alternative opinion, just for the sake of discussion.

I have been chastised on internet wine boards for offering the opinion that one should drink the wine you like to drink with the food you like to eat. While there is some merit to wine/food pairing, that concept is quite overrated.

Wine can elevate the dining experience. My cooking at home is, certainly, not Michelin star level, but that is not going to stop me from going "deep into the cellar," if the spirit moves me.

Any "wine geek" who has cruised on Princess more than twice finds the Princess wine list to be pretty pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, there are little gems there, but I don't particularly want to drink the same wine every night. Also, I am not criticizing Princess' strategy in building their wine lists. I am perfectly willing to believe that they know their customer demographic better than I do.

Also, believe me when I tell you, I am not a man of extraordinary economic means. So, I am not bringing Petrus, or Screagle or DRC on board. I am bringing (mostly) domestic wines--some of which are found relatively easily on retail store shelves and some of which can only be procured directly from the winery.

So, to summarize my philosophy, let's say that "better wines" (avoiding the definition of "fine wines") are an enhancement to my dining experience.

I am also going to come at this from a slightly different angle.

On our last cruise we made our first ever visit to the Crab Shack. Beleive me, we are one and done with the Crab Shack. The meal was our least favorite on that cruise. The appalling thing, however, is that the wine list for the Crab Shack is quite abbreviated. I truly wish I had anything better than the best I could find on that list.

The views above are just opinions. There is no science or logic behind them. With all the above and a couple bucks, I can buy a cup of coffee.
Enjoyed reading this post very much, XB. I think we agree on the "better wine" philosophy. It doesn't always mean $100's per bottle. I fully plan to bring at least a couple of sparklers on board (not sure if real champagne or other; depends what I can find locally as I don't see flying it in my checked bags). I am going to work on pre-shopping with Total Wine online before arriving to speed up the process. Not sure if I will try and manage a case or more - maybe 18. I figure as long as I make it down to Montevideo or Buenos Aires, I can supplement with local wines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Island Princess - BVE on Dec 6/17 @ PE T2
Island Princess - 60-day Grand South America, Jan 24/18.... & .... no FCD left as we have re-booked this one as 3 separate segments and saving a bundle. Depart PE T2 & Return T??
Vancouver, BC
17,918 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Your retail price for Opus One is very wrong. I'm seeing it at Total Wine for over $300.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
November 2017...Queensland, Australia Land Trip
April 2018...Kauai Land Trip
September 2018...Crete & Bordeaux land trip
September 2019...Reflection Amsterdam to Barcelona
Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Honolulu/Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
Oakville, ON
2,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Cruise Junky
Your retail price for Opus One is very wrong. I'm seeing it at Total Wine for over $300.
Thanks for letting me know. I searched up and down, including another site and I am not sure how I had a wrong price for that one. The Overture is correct. I double-checked if there was a second label somehow I missed - you see, I find it hard to believe Princess is that much under-market. Maybe it's some old stock (as I am sure you realize, they don't print vintage years so you just don't know until order a bottle to see it for yourself). Nonetheless, it is probably some time since it was sold at retail for under $200.

It's too rich for my blood, but it is the screaming bargain of the wine list if one wishes to spend well north of $200 per bottle. If a real fan, why not buy a case online and cart it off home? LOL.

A corrected file is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Princess Wine List - 2017-Summer.xls (143.0 KB, 15 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Island Princess - 60-day Grand South America, Jan 24/18.... & .... no FCD left as we have re-booked this one as 3 separate segments and saving a bundle. Depart PE T2 & Return T??
123 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Thanks for letting me know. I searched up and down, including another site and I am not sure how I had a wrong price for that one. The Overture is correct. I double-checked if there was a second label somehow I missed - you see, I find it hard to believe Princess is that much under-market. Maybe it's some old stock (as I am sure you realize, they don't print vintage years so you just don't know until order a bottle to see it for yourself). Nonetheless, it is probably some time since it was sold at retail for under $200.

It's too rich for my blood, but it is the screaming bargain of the wine list if one wishes to spend well north of $200 per bottle. If a real fan, why not buy a case online and cart it off home? LOL.

A corrected file is attached.
If I'm paying north of $200 for a bottle of anything, it's a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle...can't bring it on board, but sort of like the same feeling as cruising drinking it out by my pool!!
East Meadow, NY
1,036 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
XBGuy
We bring on Korbel for mimosas during the day. Our sail away choice is Taittinger champagne. Our local store sells it for $35. We are going on a Christmas & New years cruise om Dec. 22, so we are bringing 3 bottles. Can't beat that.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greek Lines
Queen Anna Maria 7 days to Bermuda 1970
Italian Line
Leonardo da Vinci (TNTC), Michelangelo (twice) & Raffaello (Sister ships)
Celebrity Cruises
Meridian, Horizon, Zenith (2003 Bermuda ), Millennium, Mercury (2001 Trans Panama Cannel)
Constellation 2004
Crystal Cruises
Crystal Harmony - Trans Panama Cannel
Cunard Line
Queen Elizabeth II (Three times) - Trans Panama Cannel, Cunard Princess (TNTC), Sagafjord
Vistafjord
Holland America Line
Rotterdam, Statendam 2002 & Veendam
Home Lines
Oceanic (Three times), Doric & Homeric
Premier Cruise Line
Big Red Boat 1991
Norwegian Cruise Line
Dreamward & Seaward
Royal Caribbean International
Sovereign of the Seas & Explorer of the Seas 2007
Princess Cruises
Caribbean Princess 2008
Princess Cruises
Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii
Crozet, VA, USA
249 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
What I wanted to see was, where would I still save money, and how much, over retail if I was to have a package of 12 bottles instead of ordering singly. My formula marks any bottle under $28 as a "NO BUY". (Why would you pay $28 when you could buy it for less off the menu and save your 12 punches for other wines?).

In Column P, if you still see a green amount, then you save with the package over buying the wine at retail and bringing it on board. But if the amount is red, you are STILL better off bringing that wine on board yourself. And this is paying even less for these bottles because you are on a package!!! There are some savings with a package here and there on the list, but nothing much to bowl you over, except for some of the very high-priced stuff - and not even all of it is best on board.

So, pour a glass and sit back and contemplate your options for the next cruise.[/quote]
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Let me add my sincere thanks to steelers36 for his diligent work in putting this spreadsheet together.

As the spreadsheet has been completed, I would love to add my own column and get some ideas from the
wine experts, what foods you've enjoyed with a particular wine? We are on the Coral (Panama Canal - 15 day) in January and plan on having wine nightly with dinner (at a minimum ).

Understanding the different Princess menus and personal preferences for pairings, this thread could get extremely long.
So if another separate thread is warranted, so be it.

Thanks again for your hard work! I plan on putting anything I glean from here to good use!

Mike
Oakville, ON
2,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Thanks, Mike, but I think personal preferences get in the way of trying to recommend a wine pairing with food. I don't think there is any set perfection, but there are some obvious things that don't work for my taste buds!! Such as Riesling with a steak - can't imagine that one. Enjoy playing with your own copy of the file.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Chicago
1,950 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Thanks for this great listing😊

Who has tried the high end reds, and how are they? Opus One, Overture, Mondavi Reserve, super Tuscans? I am tempted to get one of these at Crown Gtill😊
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x4
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
Diamond Bar, CA
933 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by Cruisin'Rabbit
Thanks for this great listing😊

Who has tried the high end reds, and how are they? Opus One, Overture, Mondavi Reserve, super Tuscans? I am tempted to get one of these at Crown Gtill😊

I have had the Robert Mondavi Reserve CS three or four times on Princess cruises. Apparently, I like it. This is an excellent wine for the Crown Grill. Since it is a high volume producer, the Robert Mondavi winery does not get the respect from the Wine Geekdom that it diservers--I can say the same about Beringer and BV. The Mondavi Reserve is a big Napa Valley CS, but it is balanced. It is not overly fruity. Generally, tannins are sturdy, but not over the top. On our cruise on the Grand Princess in September, I was pretty excited to try 2013 vintage. A terrific vintage.

I've never tried Opus. However, Mrs. XBGuy, back in her working days, made, at least, two visits to Opus in Napa Valley and participated in vertical tastings. Tough job, but, apparently, somebody has to do it.

On our first Princess cruise in 2011 I ordered an Ornellia one evening. At the time they were charging $140 for it. I think it is way over $200, now, on the Princess list. For more than $200, I don't plan to be back. A good wine, A reasonable amount of fruit, Good acid--like so many Italian wines--but also good tannin to support it

Luce della Vite kills Ornellaia in my opinion, A very similar taste profile and a much better price.

A year ago SHARE had Tignanello for $79. That is an amazing deal. You cannot buy Tig in any brick-and-mortar retail store in the U.S. for that price. When I had it at SHARE I think I drank the entire bottle that evening. (Mrs. XBGuy had ordered white wine.) It is a good one. In a couple weeks we are going to sailing on the Ruby Princess. We plan to dine at SHARE on sailaway evening. I truly hope they still have Tig on their wine list at that price.

Valencia, CA
2,174 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
I notice under Premium Sparkling you list the Villa Sandi Prosecco. Where did you find it in the US?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Chicago
1,950 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by XBGuy

I have had the Robert Mondavi Reserve CS three or four times on Princess cruises. Apparently, I like it. This is an excellent wine for the Crown Grill. Since it is a high volume producer, the Robert Mondavi winery does not get the respect from the Wine Geekdom that it diservers--I can say the same about Beringer and BV. The Mondavi Reserve is a big Napa Valley CS, but it is balanced. It is not overly fruity. Generally, tannins are sturdy, but not over the top. On our cruise on the Grand Princess in September, I was pretty excited to try 2013 vintage. A terrific vintage.

I've never tried Opus. However, Mrs. XBGuy, back in her working days, made, at least, two visits to Opus in Napa Valley and participated in vertical tastings. Tough job, but, apparently, somebody has to do it.

On our first Princess cruise in 2011 I ordered an Ornellia one evening. At the time they were charging $140 for it. I think it is way over $200, now, on the Princess list. For more than $200, I don't plan to be back. A good wine, A reasonable amount of fruit, Good acid--like so many Italian wines--but also good tannin to support it

Luce della Vite kills Ornellaia in my opinion, A very similar taste profile and a much better price.

A year ago SHARE had Tignanello for $79. That is an amazing deal. You cannot buy Tig in any brick-and-mortar retail store in the U.S. for that price. When I had it at SHARE I think I drank the entire bottle that evening. (Mrs. XBGuy had ordered white wine.) It is a good one. In a couple weeks we are going to sailing on the Ruby Princess. We plan to dine at SHARE on sailaway evening. I truly hope they still have Tig on their wine list at that price.

Thanks for your thoughts on the red wines. I will definitely try Mondavi Reserve at Crown Grill.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x4
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
Oakville, ON
2,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by XBGuy

I was fortunate to buy and have some RM Reserve (their top Cab) in the 90's and on and off since then, but not for a long time. I did decide to splurge on a 2013 recently as an investment, but I don't plan on touching it for several years. I'd have to agree that it would be great to have that wine with one of the CG steak dinners, but I just don't want to spend that much on the ship.

In Ontario, around Toronto, collectors used to line up to scoop up the RM Reserve when it came out and it would be sold in 5 minutes with limits of 1/person. Not so much demand anymore - probably the price point and the fact that there are so many more infamous wines now.

I agree on that price for Tig. I think I put that in an update of my older spreadsheet and some people didn't believe the price (didn't make sense to me either). All I can think is they must have purchased a supply a while ahead of that and had it around still and didn't adjust price to market. Anyway, it wasn't listed on the CROWN lists and they don't have SHARE. Previously, I heard of it in Sabatini's.

I will have a report on ISLAND in December after my BVE.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Oakville, ON
2,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by cruznliz
I notice under Premium Sparkling you list the Villa Sandi Prosecco. Where did you find it in the US?
What I found was a listing with the price at Total Wine. Upon re-checking Total Wine website, it appears to be left at only one location in Missouri. Other searches reveal other retailers at similar/same price, but IDK if they have stock. The Villa Sandi has also been available in Ontario at $14-and-change, so pretty reasonable compared to USD pricing. I have never had it myself, although wine reviewers I know in Ontario have given it thumbs up and great value.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Diamond Bar, CA
933 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
I was fortunate to buy and have some RM Reserve (their top Cab) in the 90's and on and off since then, but not for a long time. I did decide to splurge on a 2013 recently as an investment, but I don't plan on touching it for several years. I'd have to agree that it would be great to have that wine with one of the CG steak dinners, but I just don't want to spend that much on the ship.

In Ontario, around Toronto, collectors used to line up to scoop up the RM Reserve when it came out and it would be sold in 5 minutes with limits of 1/person. Not so much demand anymore - probably the price point and the fact that there are so many more infamous wines now.

Like I mentioned, wine geeks like to dis any high-volume winery. They also like to believe that they have found the newest, coolest limited-production wine. If it is sold only by allocation, so much the better. I, unfortunately, am guilty, also. I have never purchased the Robert Mondavi Reserve CS in a retail store--only in cruise ship restaurants. I do purchase the very well-priced (low $20s) Napa Valley bottling quite regularly.

I agree on that price for Tig. I think I put that in an update of my older spreadsheet and some people didn't believe the price (didn't make sense to me either). All I can think is they must have purchased a supply a while ahead of that and had it around still and didn't adjust price to market. Anyway, it wasn't listed on the CROWN lists and they don't have SHARE. Previously, I heard of it in Sabatini's.

We are sailing on the Ruby Princess in a few weeks. I will try to get a picture of the SHARE wine list for you.

I will have a report on ISLAND in December after my BVE.

It would be fun to meet you on a cruise, someday, Steelers. I'm thinking we could have a great time, sitting in Vines, chatting over a few glasses of fermented grape juice.