CPAP's On Board - Voltage issues, Power Cords

Chris J.

OK folks need some quick help as i am cruising in one week on the Escape.

I use a CPAP. Will a simple power cord (US Style) suffice, or do I need a plug adaptor for those goofy Euro style plugs?

Anyone know what the voltage is onboard ship? 120VAC?

Yes,,bring regular power cord. outlets in bedroom area..are are "regular" not "goofy" power ;p. and if you need distilled water...contact special needs dept ahead of time to order it for your room (gratis)....Though..I have always had to remind them to deliver it..once onboard...

Lots of cruise. Lots of travel. CPAP for many years.

1 - All ships have at least one U.S. type plug.

2 - It might not be close. We always travel with a cheap extension cord just in case. The cord on my cpap is a good 10 ft long anyways.

3 - I discovered a few years ago that I did not need the humidifier part of my CPAP. Now I travel with half the size - which is great since we now do our trips with carryon only. Even two week cruises.

4 - Water? If you still want to use the humidifier you can use normal tap water. Ships water has gone through a process similar to distilling and you can use that.

I used my cpap on Jade in Oct.

1. A regular extension cord is good. Do NOT bring a power strip that has a surge protector. It may be sent to the naught room. A regular power strip may be aok.

2. Just ask the room steward for distilled water. He will get it promptly

3. The desk area has one 120V duplex outlet. But if you bring a Euro style converter, you can get yourself another set of outlets. This converts from 230 to 120.

4. The light receptacles near the bed have USB outlets.

Have taken 5 prev cruises all with Hubbys CPap. Def bring your own extension power cord. Plugs are never near the bed. We actually have one that is in a Y-shape. That way I get one on my side of the bed and DH gets one for his Cpap. We tuck it under the bed during the day, out of the way and just plug it in at night. We also bring a small non-surge protected power strip to allow for charging of other devices. Cpap is no much easier to travel with now as they are so small. When we first started traveling together 20 yrs ago ,they were the size of a small microwave!

When I emailed Norwegian about distilled water and an extension cord, I got this.

Guests can obtain an extension cord at the Guest Services Desk. Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Regards,

Michelle Lopez | Access Coordinator

When I emailed Norwegian about distilled water and an extension cord, I got this.

Guestscan obtain an extension cord at the Guest Services Desk. Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Regards,

that is the "official" response. I bet you would find a hard time finding anyone here that had a normal extension cord confiscated. We always have one, and it is always out. We never bother with a power strip. Cheap extension cord that has three outlets at end is fine.

And, I would never trust they will have ENOUGH cords. And, we also carry one because you never know when you might end up in a hotel somewhere.

Guestscan obtain an extension cord at the Guest Services Desk. Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Regards,

Hmm. Interesting. Their email to us always says to bring our own extension cord. We carry one in hubby's CPAP case.

I have never heard of any on NCL being confiscated but I have heard carnival confiscating extension cords and power strips. I bring my own (past several NCL cruises) but may just check with guest services when I get on board next time about an extension cord and distilled water.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would just pick this up

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-ft-16-2-Indoor-Extension-Cord-3-Pack-KAB-1-YC-1F/100650540

Use one to go from the wall to the side of your bed then a second one either behind the headboard or under the bed to go to the other side.

It works well I have done this on several ships and never had an issue at all. With the 3 outlets I can plug in phone to charge as well as tablet and fitbit. During the day I usually just put the cord up by the headboard to keep it out of the way.

Yep. Your basic extension cord that most folks have around the house.

And yes, Carnival was confiscating everything for a time a year or two ago. Though I do not follow that board, I remember it being short lived. Reports on this board seem to focus on the surge protector strips. Can not remember anyone having an extension cord problem.

And, yes... official policy and reality do not match up.

We always put the cords and accessories in with the cpap so it all looks medical. I would never trust that they have enough cords to go around. I've heard too many times that people have asked and they were unable to provide. Better safe than sorry and bring your own.

We always put the cords and accessories in with the cpap so it all looks medical. I would never trust that they have enough cords to go around. I've heard too many times that people have asked and they were unable to provide. Better safe than sorry and bring your own.

Yep.

And I do not have to wait for it.

And, chances are it would be a single plug, so unable to charge my other stuff.

And, there is always the chance you could be a hotel room where the plug is nowhere near the bed.

My wife and I both use CPAPS, and brought on many cruise lines with our own extension cords. Was on the Escape 11/4-11/11 with no problems. Our cabin steward brought us an extension cord but we never used it. I have a 6' and a 12' cheap cord that works just fine. We are not rookies in the CPAP routine.

I had just contacted the access desk at NCL a week ago, and they told me to bring my own extension cord. We normally bring a regular extension anyway, because some hotels don't have bedside plugs, either. They assured me that as long as it's not a surge-protected one, it will be fine.

The one time I forgot to bring my own extension cord, I had NCL bring one up. It was this huge bundle of yellow cord, very thick guage industrial type, about 20ft in length, and grease all over it. Weighed a ton. Was very cumbersome.

Next day I called and asked for something a little less overkill. They brought an orange 12ft cord, less gauge but still thick and clunky. Oh well, it worked.

Haven't forgotten to bring my own since.